Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know bread is going to be tough, but Is Pizza out of the question?

Just wondering from all of you that have had your bands for awhile, do you ever eat pizza anymore? I have seen that many people do not tolerate bread well at all, but is it the same for Pizza? I know that it is not the best choice of food, but i loved pizza and I am just wondering if I will ever be able to eat it again? Not that it's going to happen for me for a long long time. Just wondering!?

Well I'm not super proud to admit this but, I actually ate a couple pieces of thin crust pizza last night. Splurged. Did fine but felt like crap. I've got 5.5cc's in my band and am 2 months post op. Everything I have says specifically no bread, rice, Pasta. But I ate it and was fine. Just chewed it up good. I also had a dinner roll today. Easter has been rough for me. Back to working on eating right tomorrow though.

My nutrionist said to eat bread but make sure it was toasted so it would pass easier. She recommended eating it because I was getting too hungry between meals and this would help fill me up. She was right.

I haven't had pizza yet. And not really craved it. I suspect that you could make a healthy version that would be tolerated better and would satisfy your taste buds. I have found that I do get sick when I have anything too high in fat so that could be why I am not craving pizza.< /p>

I had a lean cuisine pizza for dinner :D

I don't have any problems with food getting stuck. I tolerate bread just fine, as do a lot of people.

Mostly though, pizza is pretty bad for you, but I allow it in lean cuisine form, it's 350 calories, they have a few different kinds, it's so yummy! I don't like to eat it when i'm out, because it's hard to contain yourself to one piece.

Just wondering from all of you that have had your bands for awhile, do you ever eat pizza anymore? I have seen that many people do not tolerate bread well at all, but is it the same for pizza? I know that it is not the best choice of food, but i loved pizza and I am just wondering if I will ever be able to eat it again? Not that it's going to happen for me for a long long time. Just wondering!?

I haven't eaten pizza for at least three months now, but up until 4 months after surgery (August 25th, 2010 surgery), I would have the occasional slice or two (maybe once every two months). The last time I had pizza, to lower the calories and to make it easier to eat, I peeled off a layer of the bread (leaving some of the bread on there). If I were to try pizza now, it'd have to be on a day when my band isn't too tight, it'd have to be a thin-crust pizza, and I'd have to chew VERY well. I'd also take time in between my bites to see if I'm getting stuck. And, I'd definitely not eat more than one slice. I hardly eat bread now. I tried in December and it was pretty difficult. I more eat rye-crisps instead, which are not only low in calories and high in fibre, but also easy to eat since it has the consistency of a tough cracker.

I can't do thick crust pizza, but thin/crispy works.

I like to make a bandsters pizza using the "flatout" breads. www.flatoutbread.com has recipes.

If you can tolerate it it is fine. I don't deprive myself of anything. But now instead of 2 slices, one slice totally fills me up.

I can eat thin crust okay. If it's a pan or thick crust, I normally just eat the toppings! Don't totally deprive yourself. You'll figure it out as you go along what you can tolerate.

I guess I am one of the few that CAN NOT eat pizza with the crust. I can pull the toppings off and eat them but the mozzarella is still a challenge becaus the more you chew it the drier it gets. So I have eaten pizza maybe three times since my surgery July 2010... But I was never really a big pizza person to begin with. You just have to try it and see if it is a food you can tolerate.

Eating with the band is trial and error and we are all different in what we can and can not eat. Good luck!:D

I can eat thin crust - usually just part of a piece if it is a large slice...and then I eat the toppings. I am a firm believer in adjusting my diet to my lifestyle - so the first sunday of every month when our church goes out for pizza I join them...it is a cheap all you can eat buffet, which is a complete waste for me who eats barely anything, but I don't stress about eating pizza...it's a nice treat! Just be sure to chew chew chew!!

Kim

Yes, pizza is practically in the same line with the bread. It will get stuck, and trust me you do not want to ever experience that feeeling. It is best to avoid as many items in that categorty until you have found a way to tolerate it. Which may be not for a while.

My very first case of sliming, and pb'ing was from pizza. I didn't even have a fill by then. be very careful. Some folks can eat pizza. Others can't. Good luck to you. Karen

I can't do thick crust pizza, but thin/crispy works.

I like to make a bandsters pizza using the "flatout" breads. www.flatoutbread.com has recipes.

Oooh yes. I used to make pizza with Flat Out bread prior to banding. They are good!

Just got banded though, so can't try pizza yet! Can't wait to try a piece though LOL!

Bread/pizza/anything else is only "out" or "tough" depending on your restriction level. I eat bread just fine, but I have no fill so my restriction level is pretty loose. If you don't keep a super tight band, bread, pizza, and anything else are fine. Just be sure to chew. Toasting the bread works best, IMO.

If a tight band is ideal for you, look into buying thin sliced bread or wraps and make your own "pizza." Flat out and low-carb tortillas work great.