Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sneakers

All thru highschool I wore the plain Reebock womens Princess classics. Best sneakers ever made I would have told you. Now they including 4 other pairs I have bought are not comfortable. They feel good for 5 min or so in the store.. some even better then just good. Then after an hour or so my feet start cramping up and feel smooshed like they have never been in sneakers before. I have tried different brands.. instead of an 8.5 I usually take I opted for a 8 Wide, tried $100 sneakers, and cheapo's from Walmart. I can't seem to find anything comfortable enough to wear for more then a few hours. I'm starting to wonder if it's not the sneaker and considering I could have the start of neuropathy in my feet from the diabetes. I have been to a places where people actually work and suggest a shoe for your needs,, still no luck

Have you tried Nike Air Pegasus? I love them and have worn them since I ran track in high school. They have great cushioning and stability for those who underpronate (turn ankles inwards when walking). I just got a new pair :)

I get awful shin splits whenever I wear Nikes. My first pair was pretty old so I bought $150 Nike Shox and still had severe shin splints; even when just walking. I switched to Asics Kinsei and poof... shin splints are gone. Totally gone! Even when jogging. Anyone that has had severe shin splints knows they are so painful, it is even difficult to press the clutch in my car. My calves would swell so bad and I would have to ice them down.

But anyway... It really also depends on what activity you are doing and what kind of support you need. It took me quite a bit of cash before I found the perfect pair. Funny things is, the same thing happened with my husband. Nikes would tear up his feet and knees. He finally bought a pair of Brooks - Beast (they are specifically for men with flatter type arches) and again, poof- like night and day. Long walks and jogs were not a problem any longer.

If you are afraid it may be the neuropathy, best bet would be to see a Neurologist and go through an EMG (electromyography- a skeletal muscle and nerve stimulation test)... it is a test that can tell if you nerves are performing correctly. Then if it is neuropathy, it can be treated and your sneakers weren't the culprit.You could find out the root cause of the problem.

Best of luck to you....

I meant to also mention that Saucony is a very good women's brand.... It is pronounced "sock - o - knee).

I finally broke down yesterday and went to a place that videos your feet waling on a treadmil.. takes molds etc to check your arches.. $125 later I have myself a comfy pair of Brooks

Have you tried orthotics? These are inserts designed to put in the shoes that are fitted for your feet specifically. My mom had to get them after a foot injury and if she doesn't have her orthotics in, she has a lot of pain. Try seeing a Podiatrist and they may be able to help with that. :)

I love my Ryka's.. I have wide feet , and I'm a nurse so I know about being on my feet for long periods of time..I also love Dansko's for work..they are heaven sent..seriously!

congrats! I hope the Brooks take care of your pain, My hubby loves his. Good luck to you! Banane23.gif

:rolleyes:Brooks are one of my favorites. If shin splints are a problem and you want to do things like running then I suggest the Vibram Five Finger toe shoes. I happen to think they look rediculous (even though I own a pair) but I get compliments on them all of the time (I know, thats not the point) My hubby is a running instructor for the army and teaches a method called the "pose run" (google it :rolleyes: ). Since soldiers run so much, they are always looking for a better way to do things, and this method just makes so much sense. If you watch a child run around a park, they land on the balls of their feet, and then push off with their toes, their heels never hit the ground. Since they are not striking the ground with force, but absorbing it, there is no sudden impact, therefore, there is no pain in the shins, and knees. The Vibrams allow your toes to spread as you propel yourself, and have more cushion on the balls of the feet, and barely any in the heels. Everyone who owns them, swears by them. They make them for walking, hiking, running, and indoor sports like martial arts. I love mine!

Now, if you do a job where you stand all day, or if you are going to an amusement park or touring a city, I wouldnt recommend them, they are more for the sports, and not so much for every day wear! (even though you should wear them to walk in for a while before you start running in them so you are used to them)

Because the Army doesnt allow the Vibrams yet durring group Physical Training, my hubby wears Saucony. He buys his shoes by how many ounces they weigh, and those feel the best for him, and take the most wear and tear! I hope this helps! Good luck!