Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Abandoned his Patients - Dr. Eric Pinnar

Yes! Notify your insurance company !!!! This is fraud. Dr.Pinnar is not to blame. I heard it first hand today, Dr.Merchia goes under a ton of different medical company names. Phil is awesome and Dr. Pinnar actually recommends Dr.Greene in Rockville, MD

I had the LapBand surgery back in 2008. Unfortunately it didn't agree with my body and I had it removed in 2010. Dr. Pinnar and his staff at the time were amazing. To those who think he just picked up and left, that's not the case. I had to request my medical files and through some searching,I actually found out what happened.

He was forced out by the person who took over the practice. I won't say names, but if you were ever a patient at AWLS, you would have met this person.

It's sad what greed will do to some people. So please know it wasn't Dr.Pinnar, there's a very long story that goes behind it. The more people complain to VDHP and their insurance company, the better chance this will stop the fraud.

I too have received Tina of EOBs. I reported it to the VA sheriff and they said it had to go through the insurance company. I reported it to my insurance company and they gave sent letters to Merchiaadking for additional information.

I haven't received any bills from Merchiaadking (I dare him!). But my insurance company has been paying.

If anyone has any success in figuring out what's going I'd love to know!

No fill in over a year and Phil is no longer with Dr McKenna. Feeling list!!

To add to this saga, the office Dr. Pinnar joined in Florida is closing at the end of this month. Holy hell I hope this doesn't happen with us too.

I am sorry to hear that Jewel. How were you informed of this? Are they providing an alternative for their patients? I truly hope that this goes better for you than it did for Eric's patients here in Northern Virginia.

Nope, I was informed by mail a couple days ago. I am only 3 weeks postop. I was told to come to this site and look for and aftercare provider. What kinda **** is that.

So no doubt while he was performing surgery on you, he already knew damn well that he wouldn't be there for you for the aftercare. That is so messed up! At least Eric offered us alternatives albeit half-assed ones. I truly wish you the best and hope someone here can recommend a good doctor there.

Exactly, Thanks Jodi.

I'm not sure if anyone is still following the Merchia/ Pinnar issue, but I am 5000% positive Merchia is defrauding people. Avoid them both! Go to another doctor. They have or had offices in Reston, Va; Rockville, MD; and Boca Raton Fl. They will bill your insurance under several different providers. Please, please, please find anyone else to avoid the time and money I've lost.

Has anyone been following this post recently?

I just reached my five-year mark, with little-to-no post-op care. I'm also one of the "lifer's". Dr. Pinnar left almost immediately after my surgery. I even had abdominal pain on a regular basis, post-op, and he was going to go in and find the source, but left before he could do it.

Today, I just found out that my band has to be removed in emergency surgery b/c of a slip.

I had been doing well over the years. I followed Phil everywhere (b/c he is awesome), and then he fell off the map after about a year. I couldn't get into Dr. Greene's practice to be seen at any point. I've seen the "father" a couple of times to make sure all is well, but I was being charged $$ for every appointment.

Anyone else out there with same issues from Dr. E. Pinnar's office?

How have you been feeling over last few years? Anyone need theirs removed for slipping?

Anyone want to help me with a class-action suit for malpractice?

Three years later and I just got an email from Dr. Merchia's practice, apparently named SleepHeart now. The email says that there is some sort of subpoena, I think maybe he is fighting insurance to pay these denied claims. I am not sure what to make of it but if anyone contacts me about it, I will speak out against Dr. Merchia based on the way he tried to bill me for dropping off records. Here is a copy/paste of the email:

Dear Ms. XXXX

* SleepHeart is investigating whether your insurance company may have wrongfully denied claims (bills).

* SleepHeart has requested information from your insurance company(s) regarding their processing of claims via a subpoena.

* SleepHeart has NOT requested information from you by this subpoena.

* Our understanding is that the Commonwealth of Virginia has sent (or will send) you notice that this subpoena has been issued to your insurance company and informing you of your rights.

* We do not believe that you have been asked to provide any information. Instead, we believe that your insurance company has been asked to provide information explaining their denial of claims.

* If you have communicated with your insurance company regarding the services we delivered, please write to us with any details of these communications that you may have or recall (scan and email, photo and email, fax, or paper mail). Specifically, the date and whom you spoke with and what you or they said would be helpful.

* Wrongful denial of claims by insurance companies represent a substantial burden to patients such as yourself. Please contact us with information that you have regarding wrongful denial of claims by your insurance company.

Sincerely,

SleepHeartVA

info@SleepHeart.com

Central Voice 703-348-7857

Central Fax 703-444-4308

www.SleepHeart.com

Appointment Address: Serving many states

I was also a patient of Dr. Pinnar in Virginia and have subsequently had to have my band removed. I had the same issue with the random billing from SleepHeart. I was contacted by the FBI regarding billing by both Pinnar and Marchia. I turned over all my medical information to them. Earlier this year I was contacted by Sleepheart and they were trying to tell me I still owed them funds even though I was able to show proof of turning the checks over to Dr. Pinnars office. They say I still owe them even though this is 7+ years later.

Additionally, when I had my band taken out the placement of my port was extremely questionable and problematic to remove. My port was way too full for way to long. Overall I had an awful experience with everyone. I would not continue with Dr. Pinnar (although he was very nice...I am not sure he was competent in this area when performing my surgery) and I would certainly never do anything with Dr. Marchia. I think it is suspect the shutting down of the VA and Fl office.

Hello,

I had my surgery with this if you want to call him "Doctor" in 2009. I have not found a doctor to take care of me after he left. Saw two other doctors already and they were horrible Dr. Fitz in Reston and some other doctor who just hurt me. Any recommendations around the northern VA area or MD?

Thanks and sorry for every patient Pinnar left behind I feel your pain.

I see Paul Marino. He's a physicians assistant in Dr. Trad's office. Paul worked with Dr. Pinnar (Senior), and he was the physicians assistant who did my surgery with Dr. Pinnar (Junior). Paul is wonderful, and takes great care of me. I went through a period of a few years where, like you, I didn't have good care. I'm very thankful that I have Paul now.

2 minutes ago, Bandedin2007 said:

I see Paul Marino. He's a physicians assistant in Dr. Trad's office. Paul worked with Dr. Pinnar (Senior), and he was the physicians assistant who did my surgery with Dr. Pinnar (Junior). Paul is wonderful, and takes great care of me. I went through a period of a few years where, like you, I didn't have good care. I'm very thankful that I have Paul now.

Thank you so much for the info I will call him now :)