Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Abandoned his Patients - Dr. Eric Pinnar

Hello! I was wondering if anybody is familiar with Dr. Eric Pinnar here in Jax, Fl? I have heard some wonderful things about him and his team in Virgina/D.C but I was wondering specifically for his team in Jax. I recently attended one of his seminars and was very impressed. I have not yet met his staff and am curious what the general opinion is! Thanks!

Hi!

I went to one of his seminars last week and have an appt scheduled for May 4th 2011. I haven't met with his team yet but I have talked in length with Dana the director. I don't know if you have an appt scheduled or not, but i will let you know how my experience goes!

Hi!

I went to one of his seminars last week and have an appt scheduled for May 4th 2011. I haven't met with his team yet but I have talked in length with Dana the director. I don't know if you have an appt scheduled or not, but i will let you know how my experience goes!

Which seminar did you go too? I went last week as well (Wednesday)... kinda funny to think we might have been at the same one! I have yet to hear back from Dana about the insurance verification so I don't have an appt yet :( I cannot wait to get started though! My mom and I are both interested and she has not heard anything yet either. I think I will give it until Wednesday before I call Dana.

I went to the one on the 20th, Wens at 6:30 pm. Yeah It is weird, I am pretty sure it was the same one. I don't particularly want the band, but my insurance won't cover the sleeve with Dr. Pinnar. So I am at a stand still. I found out yesterday that they do the sleeve at NASJAX. I got excited and then about 5 min in to our conversation she asks how old I am (even though I KNOW its on the referral). I told her 24. She said they won't do it unless I am 26. I had never heard of an age requirements before. So I called the patient advocate and told her my diabetes is progressing quickly, I just had my blood pressure medicine AND my insulin doubled, and my kidney function is declining. She is going to talk to the surgeons personally and see if she can pull some strings. We will see where it goes from here. I really want the sleeve, and don't want to settle on the band.

A few weeks ago I received a letter that Dr. Pinnar took a new position in Florida. It didn't sound like a big deal. Another surgeon was to take over both offices in Rockville, MD and my office in Reston, VA and that the beloved Phil would still be there to handle our fills. There was also mentioned an option to transfer to Dr. Pinnars father who is in the same building at Reston. I wasn't that concerned based on the letter.

Fast forward to today. I call the Reston office to schedule a fill with Phil. I am told he is no longer there, that all medical files were forwarded to Rockville and if I want a fill they are very backed up but I would have to travel to Rockville to have my fill when they can finally get me in. I was told that I also have the option of tranferring to Dr. Pinnars father who is in Reston as the letter mentioned but there is a $100 transfer fee and I will have to pay for barium swallow and tests to make sure the condition of my band is good before he will accept me.

I am not sure what I am going to do now. The answering service did take may email address and promised to contact me if she finds out where Phil ends up, She said he has a big following and the hope is that he will open his own practice. This stinks! This is mainly just a vent but wondering if anyone else was banded by Dr. Eric Pinnar.

I am guessing you are in VA but if you want to travel Dr. Liao at GBMC in Towson is wonderful!

A few weeks ago I received a letter that Dr. Pinnar took a new position in Florida. It didn't sound like a big deal. Another surgeon was to take over both offices in Rockville, MD and my office in Reston, VA and that the beloved Phil would still be there to handle our fills. There was also mentioned an option to transfer to Dr. Pinnars father who is in the same building at Reston. I wasn't that concerned based on the letter.

Fast forward to today. I call the Reston office to schedule a fill with Phil. I am told he is no longer there, that all medical files were forwarded to Rockville and if I want a fill they are very backed up but I would have to travel to Rockville to have my fill when they can finally get me in. I was told that I also have the option of tranferring to Dr. Pinnars father who is in Reston as the letter mentioned but there is a $100 transfer fee and I will have to pay for barium swallow and tests to make sure the condition of my band is good before he will accept me.

I am not sure what I am going to do now. The answering service did take may email address and promised to contact me if she finds out where Phil ends up, She said he has a big following and the hope is that he will open his own practice. This stinks! This is mainly just a vent but wondering if anyone else was banded by Dr. Eric Pinnar.

That's gotta suck! I would be lost without my doctor. I don't think I could have been as successful as I was without his support!

AVOID ERIC PINNAR!!!!!!!!! I was a patient of his in Reston VA. I paid his steep membership fee and 17K for the band with the promise of "taking care of me forever for free" then he packs up his office and leaves town. He broke his contract with all his patients and left us high and dry. I feel so devistated. I cannot believe he did this to us?

Speaking of him as a surgeon, he didn't do a good job stitching me up, my port as always been sore and put in a bad location where it protrudes. His office was run so poorly by incompetent staff that he hired from previous patients. Billing was questionable as they tried to get as much out of insurance as possible and would fake bill.

Just avoid!

I am also a patient of Dr. Eric Pinnar who has been left high and dry! I am crushed and cannot believe he has done this. I guess I just cannot understand how a NOVA native could start a practice in the same building as his father make promises to take care of me for life then pack up and head outta town. This was one of the reasons I chose him!! I wonder if it bothers his conscience at all? Part of me also wonders if there wasn't something else that happened as this all sounds kind of fishy to me.

I called the office and was told that no one was available to talk to me about getting a fill and someone would call me back. No one has called me back yet. I have a feeling that no one will either.

I want my "membership fee" back. Do you also remember paying a steep "membership fee"? I wonder how many other people out there feel like he broke his contract?

I really really need a fill. I've gained back like 15 pounds and no end in sight!

I'm feeling lost, abandonded and angry.

I opened this thread because I figured it was about Dr. Pinnar, my new doctor here in FL. I totally understand why you guys are upseyt that he left - he seems really great (spent and hour with me in my first consult!) He has joined Dr. Cywes in practice here in Jacksonville. I asked him why he came here and he said he needed a change, I think there's something fishy going on, too.

I can see that you're upset about being no notice, but my understanding from his website is that there is still a doctor in the practice, that it was sold to him. I can also understand why Dr. Pinnar didn't say anything to his patients. Can you imagine how long the consults would take if he told everyone he was leaving and had to answer all their questions? There also may have been a contract that he wasn't allowed to inform anyone due to patient loss....just a thought. Hope you guys find someone new! :o)

food expert" data-cite="food expert" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1305376680" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="125862" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">

I am also a patient of Dr. Eric Pinnar who has been left high and dry! I am crushed and cannot believe he has done this. I guess I just cannot understand how a NOVA native could start a practice in the same building as his father make promises to take care of me for life then pack up and head outta town. This was one of the reasons I chose him!! I wonder if it bothers his conscience at all? Part of me also wonders if there wasn't something else that happened as this all sounds kind of fishy to me.

I called the office and was told that no one was available to talk to me about getting a fill and someone would call me back. No one has called me back yet. I have a feeling that no one will either.

I want my "membership fee" back. Do you also remember paying a steep "membership fee"? I wonder how many other people out there feel like he broke his contract?

I really really need a fill. I've gained back like 15 pounds and no end in sight!

I'm feeling lost, abandonded and angry.

food Expert,

I just got an email from Phil. He is opening his own office to do fills!!! If you would like his email address PM me.

I'm going in for my second appt with dr pinnar/cywes wednesday. I had my first consult with dr pinnar and was very impressed, he spent 1 hour with me! Seemed very knowledgeable and trustworthy. He's in a practice, so no matter what contract you sign it will be honored by the practice, not the specific dr. and there is no up front/membership fee at the jax practice.

I opened this thread because I figured it was about Dr. Pinnar, my new doctor here in FL. I totally understand why you guys are upseyt that he left - he seems really great (spent and hour with me in my first consult!) He has joined Dr. Cywes in practice here in Jacksonville. I asked him why he came here and he said he needed a change, I think there's something fishy going on, too.

I can see that you're upset about being no notice, but my understanding from his website is that there is still a doctor in the practice, that it was sold to him. I can also understand why Dr. Pinnar didn't say anything to his patients. Can you imagine how long the consults would take if he told everyone he was leaving and had to answer all their questions? There also may have been a contract that he wasn't allowed to inform anyone due to patient loss....just a thought. Hope you guys find someone new! :o)

That is not what happened though. He did send out notice but what the notice said was not what we got. I don't know whether he intentionally left us up in the air or everything fell apart after he left. The letter said that Dr. Greene would take over in the Reston office and that psych and fill guy and staff would still be available at that location. But instead Dr. Greene took our records and closed up shop in Virginia so we would have to go to his office in Maryland if they could get us in because they were overbooked, that is not what Dr. Pinnar said would happen. It seems that Dr. Pinnar should have made sure his patients here were going to be taken care of like his letter intimated, if there was a contract, then it was not honored as to what his patients were promised. Yes he is great but the way this turned out for his Reston patients leaves me disappointed.

The good news that I have recently received is that Phil (Dr. Pinnar's assistant) is working on opening his own office to do fills. He is a PA not a surgeon but at least we will have follow-up band care/maintenance.

I'm going in for my second appt with dr pinnar/cywes wednesday. I had my first consult with dr pinnar and was very impressed, he spent 1 hour with me! Seemed very knowledgeable and trustworthy. He's in a practice, so no matter what contract you sign it will be honored by the practice, not the specific dr. and there is no up front/membership fee at the jax practice.

You have a lot to learn about the lapband Nikki. Follow care is critical with the band and without proper fills and monitoring of the band you with not be sucessful and can result in slipping. This follow care is very difficult to find and few doctors are willing to accept you if you weren't banded with them. Right now I need a fill as I have gained 15 pounds back and the practice that Dr. Pinnar sold no longer does fills, thus not honoring the contract! There is another office that I can transfer to but it looks like its going to cost me $2,000+ plus $300 for each and ever single fill from now on. Add that on top of the $17,000 I've already paid to Dr. Pinnar. What you don't understand was that Dr. Pinnar was the practice, it was his practice, he owned it. He left. Yes, there is another doctor in his office suite but they no longer have the files and cannot perform the same procedures (other than banding itself which I don't need).

I remember very clearly when I was in your situation, I would have done and said anything to get the band. I didn't care what anyone else said I wanted it and I wanted it bad. If someone had given me a warning that my doctor had hot feet I wouldn't have listened. Look at where I am now...

Yes, Dr. Pinnar is extremely knowledgeable, there is no question about that. But trustworthy? Look at his track record with previous patients.

food expert" data-cite="food expert" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1305556130" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="125862" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">

You have a lot to learn about the lapband Nikki. Follow care is critical with the band and without proper fills and monitoring of the band you with not be sucessful and can result in slipping. This follow care is very difficult to find and few doctors are willing to accept you if you weren't banded with them. Right now I need a fill as I have gained 15 pounds back and the practice that Dr. Pinnar sold no longer does fills, thus not honoring the contract! There is another office that I can transfer to but it looks like its going to cost me $2,000+ plus $300 for each and ever single fill from now on. Add that on top of the $17,000 I've already paid to Dr. Pinnar. What you don't understand was that Dr. Pinnar was the practice, it was his practice, he owned it. He left. Yes, there is another doctor in his office suite but they no longer have the files and cannot perform the same procedures (other than banding itself which I don't need).

I remember very clearly when I was in your situation, I would have done and said anything to get the band. I didn't care what anyone else said I wanted it and I wanted it bad. If someone had given me a warning that my doctor had hot feet I wouldn't have listened. Look at where I am now...

Yes, Dr. Pinnar is extremely knowledgeable, there is no question about that. But trustworthy? Look at his track record with previous patients.

Well hje is now in another surgeons practice (dr. cywes), and dr cywes is not going anywhere. I have a really hard time imagining that another doctor will not perform a fill simply because he didn't do the original banding, but as you said, i have a lot to learn. my opinion should probably be discounted.