Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV + stupid comment

I teach high school. This is the spring. I teach high school. We've had a full moon. I teach high school. We have TAKS (state mandated standardized testing) next week. I teach high school. OK, so now that we've gotten the basics out of the way...

After school today a very well-meaning co-worker asked me what size I have gotten down to. I tell her a 12 and she responds with "Back when I was chubbier, I got this dress that I only wore once that is a size 12. It is just sitting in my closet and I'll never wear it again. I just wanted to offer it to you if you'd like it." GEEZ!!! I've lost 65 pounds and dropped from a size 20 to a 12 and you want to start off with "back when I was chubbier" in reference to a size 12?!?!?! Come on people, THINK before you speak!!!

Not 10 minutes later, a senior boy (who I've never taught) stops me as I am walking by his table and says "Mrs. Huebotter, I just wanted to tell you, you look amazing!". At this point, I am shocked and just stop and look at him. As I realized he is starting to get embarrassed, I have to check myself to say "thank you, I've been working really hard at it." He responds with "I can tell."

Sometimes God knows what we need right when we need it. I sure needed an "amazing!"

Forget about that stupid comment. That is a great NSV :D Something like that can put a smile on your face for days and it should. Keep up they great work!!

Tell her thanks but no thanks on her "out-dated" hand me down..tell her you like the styles that are in now. hahah Just kidding...but, wouldn't it be funny?

Isn't it funny how teenagers can be right on the spot and know how to make someone feel good. They aren't all bad!

See that comment for what it was "Jealousy". She was tired of hearing everybody else around her say how good you look, and yes God knows what we need, and when we need it. Keep it up. I am sure you look amazing.

That's quite a compliment coming from a teenager!

That's both frustrating and sweet, respectively. Am so glad you had the sweet part after the annoying, to bring you back up!!

Offering size 12 as her "chubbie" clothing to you? First, how rude to tie those three things together (size 12 as "chubbie", ignoring your great progress, and offering her hand-me-downs -which if it weren't for the other two I'd say was a nice gesture, but in this case is not). Second, geez, size 12 is the size I'm trying to get back down to! lol! Even when I was underweight, size 10 was as small as my jeans ever got because even when it's just muscle I have a big booty.

I would/will be holding a celebration to be as thin as a size 12 again! Focus on the sweetness of the compliment and forget her, you deserve the congratulations!!!

OMG! I would have HAD to say- no, you better hold on to it because you never know when the pounds might slip back on especially with summer coming and BBQ season! I would love to see her reaction to that!

What an awesome comment from that young man- so sweet!

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be a size 12!! Congrats to you!:P

I think that coworker is just jealous...she probably knew exactly what she was doing when she said that. Congratulations to you, I long for the day to fit into a size 12! And way to go on that kind student who brightened your day.

That comment from your co-worked was so rude, but she probably didn't think before she spoke. Anyway, nice comment from the student, especially since you didn't have him in a class. Keep up the good work, you probably could have said, "Well don't bother, I probably wouldn't get much use out of it anyway, since I am still loosing weight!" HAHA! Karen

Unfortunately, many people don't put their brain in gear before they open their mouth. Reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." B)

I remember reading awhile back that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12...and some modern day producer said if she had been an actress today, she never would've gotten a job because she was too fat. That's a pretty sad statement on our societal standards.

I remember reading awhile back that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12...and some modern day producer said if she had been an actress today, she never would've gotten a job because she was too fat. That's a pretty sad statement on our societal standards.

I think that's because someone decided the ideal woman is supposed to look like a 12 year old boy. :blink:

Dave

Either that woman is really rude or just plain stupid to make a comment like that. A size 12 chubby? Come on now...sorry you had to endure her rudeness/stupidity.

What a nice young man to take the time to give you a compliment. Good going on your weight loss and for being a SIZE 12. Woohoo!

GRRRR TAKS!!!! It seems like it's been a full moon all month!!! I teach high school too!!!! So ready for summer!!!

Congrats on your success and your co-worker needs a kick in the rear!!!

so happy that the student recognized your awesome success and had the brains to speak up!!! It's gotta be nice to have people you don't interact with daily notice your hard work!

Keep it up, and TAKS is almost done!!!! B)

quote name='Mrs.Doxie' timestamp='1303386862' post='1603620']

I teach high school. This is the spring. I teach high school. We've had a full moon. I teach high school. We have TAKS (state mandated standardized testing) next week. I teach high school. OK, so now that we've gotten the basics out of the way...

After school today a very well-meaning co-worker asked me what size I have gotten down to. I tell her a 12 and she responds with "Back when I was chubbier, I got this dress that I only wore once that is a size 12. It is just sitting in my closet and I'll never wear it again. I just wanted to offer it to you if you'd like it." GEEZ!!! I've lost 65 pounds and dropped from a size 20 to a 12 and you want to start off with "back when I was chubbier" in reference to a size 12?!?!?! Come on people, THINK before you speak!!!

Not 10 minutes later, a senior boy (who I've never taught) stops me as I am walking by his table and says "Mrs. Huebotter, I just wanted to tell you, you look amazing!". At this point, I am shocked and just stop and look at him. As I realized he is starting to get embarrassed, I have to check myself to say "thank you, I've been working really hard at it." He responds with "I can tell."

Sometimes God knows what we need right when we need it. I sure needed an "amazing!"