Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well a lot of my weight has left but...

it has not helped my sweating issue at all:( I sweat like crazy, especially my face and scalp. My dermatologist said it's a condition called Hyperhidrosis. He said Botox can be effective in treating it.

Have any of you dealt with this or found anything to help it?

I've never been diagnosed, but I have an issue with profuse sweating on my upper lip (well above my lip). My oldest son sweats really bad on his scalp & face when active or sleeping.< /p>

I'm not sure. I guess I'm going to make an appointment and find out. At least now when I sweat people don't think it's because I'm just fat, you know?

I don't think insurance will cover Botox for hyperhydrosis, since the use of it for that condition is off-label use from what Botox is FDA approved to treat.

I had a friend who had hyper hydrosis. She started getting botox on her hands because she couldn't even shake hands in business situations or hold a guys hand on a date. I remember after she got it done she had to use a lot of lotion. She had never in her life experienced dryness. I think she got her underarms done too. And I thought she said insurance paid for it. But I'll have to double check that with her.

I have worked (recently) in a dermatologist office- most insurances DO cover it- but they will make you try other things first (like DRYSOL-- which i actually use myself now, it's a liquid that is applied at bedtime to underarms- but dont apply it after shaving them cuz it will stiiiiiiiiiing!!). It's like fighting your insurance for a name brand drug vs. generic- have to prove the other options dont work before they will approve it.

We did botox on quite a bit of people in their under-arms for hyperhydrosis. They can (depending on the dermatologist) apply numbing cream before doing the botox. It takes basically an entire vial of botox per arm (usually a patient paying out of pocket would pay $500 a vial). The downside is- it usually has to be repeated every 6 months- so it's a fight with the insurance every 6 months. Boo.

Good luck, hope I helped!

I need to look into this too. I also sweat a ton from my face and head.Its awful and always embarassing...especially in meetings when I am meeting new people. I also thought it was just b/c of my weight. Not glad that it happens to you but always happy to find there are others having the same issues as I do...:D

Thanks!

I was given Certain Dri the problem is most of my sweating is my Face, Scalp and the back of my neck. Since I also have sensitive skin I can't use the Certain Dri on those areas. I hope to see a derm about it soon and hopefully try something else.

Actually, some insurances will cover it. I have Blue Cross and mine did. Twice already, actually. It's wonderful! I have NO underarm sweating now. AT ALL. It's a godsend, for someone who has been dealing with this for 14 years.

My friend's daughter had Botox injections for excessive sweating. It helped her a lot