Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am considering Lap Band surgery. I live in NYC and wanted to know if anyone has advice on the surgeons in NYC?

I am hoping my insurance will cover it. If not I am considering the self pay option. Does anyone have advice about either option?

NYU is supposed to have good bariatric doctors. It's a husband and wife team. I forgot their names. Also check the major hospitals in NYC.

My surgery is next week and I am using Dr. Fielding at NYU. he's (according the the press) one of the best in the country.

i can report back and let you know how it went. So far, everyone in their office has been very nice and easy to work with.

NYU is a "center of excellence" for the banding. I had mine done March 18, 2010 and count my lucky stars that I ended up there. The hospital is amazing. The doctors are the top of their field. They offer monthy support groups, dining out socials (so you will know how to order in the future), 6 members of their office have been banded themselves, so there's plenty of help and advice. The Doctors are Fielding (he's banded), Ren (Fielding's wife) and Dr. Kurian (who did my surgery). All of the doctors are top notch and each has their own personality. I LOVE Dr. Kurian. She KNOWS her patients and has an excellent rappor with them. If I had to do it again, I would RUN to NYU. I found Dr. Kurian by accident, reading about Al Roker's surgery (he interviewed 8 surgeons and went with Dr. Kurian). I figured, if she's good enough for Al, and he did all that research, she's good enough for me! I am so pleased!

best of luck to you!

I am considering Lap Band surgery. I live in NYC and wanted to know if anyone has advice on the surgeons in NYC?

I am hoping my insurance will cover it. If not I am considering the self pay option. Does anyone have advice about either option?

I too am looking to get the lap band done. I would suggest Dr. Vemulapalli from Albert Einstein. Ive heard zero complaints. 60% of her surgeries are Lap-bands

Hey There!

I had Dr Piotr Gorecki at Methodist Hospital in Park Slope, Brooklyn. He's got a flawless record of no serious complications after doing this for a very long time. My internist said in many years of her sending patients to him not once has anyone had a problem----and most have lost serious medical issues like diabetes, blood pressure, etc.

His Physician's assistant Krystyna is wonderful and his insurance coordinater Jessie is relentless in pursuing them to get cleared pre-op.

I'd recommend this group!

All the best,

Banded Kitten

Hello ! You should defiantly check out North Shore university hospital !! Its a huge surgical team and they are wonderful ! They also accept HIP- medicaid !!! Which is hard to find these days! They are super nice and will work with the insurance company to make sure you get pre-approved!

Here's their # 516 482-8657

Good luck !!!

Check Yes ! =)

Just came back from a seminar. It was for Dr. Geiss in Syosset. Nice dr. good presentation. Has anybody heard anything about him?

My surgeon is Dr. Mitchel Roslin. He's at the Lenox Hill Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. Lenox Hill is affiliated with North Shore University. I know two people who have had their surgeries done there. After speaking to them and doing a lot of research, i decided this is the place for me. The office is nice and comfortable. You get seen on time. The nutritionist has a no nonsense attitude. If you're too emotional, you might have a hard time. I figure that she see's a lot of people who aren't ready and think that this is a game. MY experience with Dr. Roslin was a good one. He asked me questions and answered mine. Only problem i found was that he advised me to do the SLEEVE, and I refuse to do it. I'm not comfortable with it. I'm overall happy. ;) There is a website, NYCBariatrics.com. Good luck!

Hi Shap! I was at the same seminar. My endocrinologist recommended Dr. Geiss, and everything I've found out about him has been good. I've finished most of my testing and such, and hope to have my file submitted to insurance in early July.

As many before have mentioned, I also used the Weight Management Center at NYU. I live in Manhattan and did extensive research on several different bariatric doctors and surgeons. A lot of them are very good, but the program at NYU just seemed the best fit for me. Everyone there is like one big happy family and besides the four doctors, headed by a husband and wife team, Dr. George Fielding & Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding, who are world reknown in bariatric surgery, they have a slew of nurses, nutritionists, physician assistants, exercise physiologists, etc., all experts in their own right. They also hold informative seminars and social events for the patients, (last month we did a cruise around Manhattan - complete with food and alchohol). They expect you to check in monthly, whether you need a fill or not, or just to talk with one of the dieticians. I can't speak highly enough about the program and feel very lucky that I found them.