Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

suggestions for tuna, chicken, and egg salads

I know that white bread is out of the question and that's good I want it to be. So what do you eat with your tuna, chicken, and egg salads? Crackers? I have thought about maybe with a Tomato or like a lettuce wrap. Any suggestions? Also, I see lots of recipes for potatoes but all my paperwork says not potatoes. Are potatoes out too?

I put it with mango salsa or on cucumber slices.

Not sure about the potatoes, but they are high in calories.

Potatoes are good for you and they contain potassium which is essential for a healthy heart rate etc. They are only high in calories if you smother them in oil or butter. Crackers are also high in calories and a lot less nutritious than potatoes. I often use wraps instead of bread. Most of the time they are easier to eat. However if i want bread I eat it. I eat wholegrain breads as I have always preferred the taste of those anyway.

It is a matter of experimentation and finding out what works for you and what doesn't. Everybody is different.

I have open face sandwich with 1 piece of whole wheat bread or triscuts. I also put tuna on lettuce with hard boiled egg, some cheese and western lite dressing.

bread was one of the things I liked best of all foods and it is something I've been pretty much unable to eat for the last 14 months. Oh, well. Being thinner feels better than bread tasted and I've mostly come to terms with it. I order hamburgers, club sandwiches, and similar meals without bread and eat them with a fork. I guess servers have heard it all because no one has ever so much as blinked an eye at my special request.

I can eat crackers without any problem and with all the money I save on bread I buy really tasty crackers. :)

I eat rice cakes. Brown rice ones from Trader Joes. Also, whole grain crackers. I can't eat any bread. I've tried it every way possible and it just won't go down. Used to not having bread now and actually relieved. No more worries about bread @ restaurants. Makes things easier.

I add salsa to my chicken salad, mmmm and to my tuna i actully add a hard boiled egg. I do low carb so i do not eat thme with anything, but the egg in the tuna is really good, it tastes like tuna noode casserole lol

Happy Easter all

:rolleyes:

I am ok with certain breads. I eat mine on ultra thin sandwich bread.100 cal for both slices so u can use just one for 50

I buy good crackers to eat my salads on like pretzel flips and yes only eat 5 but also the new special K chip/crackers are good. I only buy good tasting crackers not generic because then you only need a little

I really like the Wasa crackers. They are about 60 calories for two of them, and I usually just need one for lunch. I prefer the multigrain version over the others.

I second that. Tuna/egg salad is quite good. That's how we do it all the time, and I am able to eat this without bread because it is so much better tasting and less dry than chicken or tuna salad alone. mayo is added of course and any other pickles or spices you prefer. I like it with just salt and pepper.

I add salsa to my chicken salad, mmmm and to my tuna i actully add a hard boiled egg. I do low carb so i do not eat thme with anything, but the egg in the tuna is really good, it tastes like tuna noode casserole lol

Happy Easter all

:rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of chicken salad.. but I eat tuna and egg salad by themselves. Another thing I've just recently read and tried.. is taking a couple wedges of Laughin Cow cheese and mixing with a packet of tuna. I eat this mixture by itself or try to mix it with a little lettuce.. it's very yummy!

I just mix tuna or chicken with mayo and celery and then serve it on a bed of lettuce. Sometimes I'll get the bibb lettuce because it has very tender leaves and I'll wrap my tuna or chicken salad a la a thai type wrap. I've done taco meat that way as well.

Re: potatoes - depends on which WOE you're following. For true low carb (below 60gm), they're expensive. If you're doing what some doctors consider low carb or following the traditional Diabetic diet, where 160gm a day is allowed, then it's doable and much better than processed carbs like bread. If you have a metabolism disorder, they'll spike your blood sugar. So it just depends on what *you* need. :)

This is one of my favorites and it is lap band friendly recipe

Sweet Onion tuna salad

logo.gif</IMG>large</IMG>Rated: stars3.gif</IMG> (1)

• Serving size: 2/3 cup
  • Recipe makes: 2

Ingredients

1 small (5 ounce) can albacore tuna packed in Water

2 Tablespoons light or fat free Mayonnaise

2 teaspoons finely minced sweet onion

1 rib celery, chopped small

3 Tablespoons chopped sweet pickle

1 hard-boiled egg, white only, chopped

1 teaspoon yellow mustard (optional)

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mixing well. Refrigerate until eating!

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 2/3 cup

Recipe makes 2 servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 160Calories from Fat 60Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 0.5gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 35gSodium 300gTotal Carbohydrate 6gDietary Fiber 0gSugars 3gProtein 19g

Most will think this is gross but instead of mayo I use cottage cheese instead in my tuna. Mayo bothers my stomach and I don't love tuna so I have to mix it in something. pineapple cottage cheese and MMmmm dessert. Don't knock it till ya try it.