Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those who have "PCOS" and the Band

My endocrinologist told me that I had PCOS years ago and that is probably why I have a difficult time losing weight. To be blunt, I'm ignorant to exactly what PCOS is for the most part and felt like I was given this "diagnosis" because there was no other reason for me not to be able to lose weight. I got pregnant very easily and did not have any diabetes issues with my pregnancy. I do get the shakes if I don't eat every few hours so I don't know if that is the insulin resistance I read about? Again, I'm not exactly sure what this PCOS is and how it affects my ability to lose weight. She put me on Metformin and I didn't know what it was to do and just took it because I was supposed to. When I got pregnant, I never went back on it.

Can anyone explain PCOS to me? If you have this syndrome, how will the lap band help me lose weight if it is a "syndrome" keeping me from losing. Even when I went on a low calorie diet, my weight loss was so, so minimal...will the lap band be worth it? Does losing weight help with the PCOS?

Curious? :thankyou:

Staci

I was diganoised with PCOS a few years ago as well. Basically the doctor told me it was something to do with a hormone inbalance and it was the main reason for me not getting my period. From what I gather on the web (cause I really don't have a full understanding of it either) it's also enlarged ovaries that contain numerous small and painless cysts. My doctor also said I would have issues getting pregnant, I haven't tried yet so I don't know how true this is. I too was put on metformin and I ended up being allergic to it. Hope this helped a little. Oh ever since about February when I was really getting nervous about the surgery and losing weight I've been getting my period regularly. So there is hope! :-)

Thanks for the response and this is why sometimes I feel like I was just given a label......I got off birth control and was pregnant the next month. No problems getting pregnant. I've never had a problem with not having a monthly cycle or anything like that either. I had sonograms, no cystic ovaries. I have an extremely difficult time losing weight and I think that is my only symptom for PCOS....which is why I question, can you have PCOS with only one "symptom."? I just find that strange. And, it's not like I haven't tried and worked hard in the past to lose weight but when you are going to the gym 4 or 5 days a week and working out for an hour or two and you live on Lean Cuisine....I lost 7 pounds in 3 months. I quit because it wasn't worth it to me. I was killing myself and getting nowhere. Anyhow, back to the point.....I wonder about the insulin resistance for me, but no one ever told me for sure and I just hope this band will help me even if I really do have PCOS? Thanks again.

PCOS is sooooo soooooo complicated. It took me years of research to feel like I was near expert on it ha ha. It's a syndrome vs a disease because symptoms vary so much from woman to woman. Typicalls your male hormones (like testosterone) will be high end of normal, and your estrogen and progesterone can also be slightly off. It's difficult to get a diagnosis. Many doctors are even clueless. It's also a matter of "does one have PCOS due to being overweight or are they overweight because they have PCOS?" It's like a cycle that feeds off each other with no true answer. I do know though that losing weight will help kick you out of PCOS or minimize symptoms. Then again not all women with PCOS are heavy. some typical/common symptoms:

infertility (usually due to not ovulating regularily)

hirtuism (excess facial hair)

obesity

cystic ovaries

dark Patches of skin between your thighs, underarms, nape of neck

acne (facial)

insulin resistance and/or type 2 diabetes

Of those, I have infertility, minimal hituism, obesity, dark Patches of skin. I had one particular male hormone that was off the charts (DHEAS)

I have three little boys, but was on medication to get pregnant with #1 and #3 (our middle child was conceived when our eldest was 3 months old, and my PCOS was likely "under control" due to recent pregnancy)

OKAY, THE COOL THING ABOUT THE BAND!!! The typical diet for lapband is GREAT for PCOS management: low carb, high Protein. Low glycemic index. The diet itself will be helpful in weight loss overall. :D

i hope that helps a bit?

PCOS is sooooo soooooo complicated. It took me years of research to feel like I was near expert on it ha ha. It's a syndrome vs a disease because symptoms vary so much from woman to woman. Typicalls your male hormones (like testosterone) will be high end of normal, and your estrogen and progesterone can also be slightly off. It's difficult to get a diagnosis. Many doctors are even clueless. It's also a matter of "does one have PCOS due to being overweight or are they overweight because they have PCOS?" It's like a cycle that feeds off each other with no true answer. I do know though that losing weight will help kick you out of PCOS or minimize symptoms. Then again not all women with PCOS are heavy. some typical/common symptoms:

infertility (usually due to not ovulating regularily)

hirtuism (excess facial hair)

obesity

cystic ovaries

dark Patches of skin between your thighs, underarms, nape of neck

acne (facial)

insulin resistance and/or type 2 diabetes

Of those, I have infertility, minimal hituism, obesity, dark Patches of skin. I had one particular male hormone that was off the charts (DHEAS)

I have three little boys, but was on medication to get pregnant with #1 and #3 (our middle child was conceived when our eldest was 3 months old, and my PCOS was likely "under control" due to recent pregnancy)

OKAY, THE COOL THING ABOUT THE BAND!!! The typical diet for lapband is GREAT for PCOS management: low carb, high Protein. Low glycemic index. The diet itself will be helpful in weight loss overall. :D

i hope that helps a bit?

VERY helpful, thanks! I'm hopeful the band will be helpful......and I'm not stuck in that cycle.....

Have you had your thyroid checked? I have pcos AND hyperthyroidism. Now that I'm.80lbs less both "diseases" are doing so much better! My cycles are even regular! :)

I would go to your obgyn about the pcos. He/she may be able to help you more...but I would go out on a limb and say you don't have it....

Thanks for the response and this is why sometimes I feel like I was just given a label......I got off birth control and was pregnant the next month. No problems getting pregnant. I've never had a problem with not having a monthly cycle or anything like that either. I had sonograms, no cystic ovaries. I have an extremely difficult time losing weight and I think that is my only symptom for PCOS....which is why I question, can you have PCOS with only one "symptom."? I just find that strange. And, it's not like I haven't tried and worked hard in the past to lose weight but when you are going to the gym 4 or 5 days a week and working out for an hour or two and you live on Lean Cuisine....I lost 7 pounds in 3 months. I quit because it wasn't worth it to me. I was killing myself and getting nowhere. Anyhow, back to the point.....I wonder about the insulin resistance for me, but no one ever told me for sure and I just hope this band will help me even if I really do have PCOS? Thanks again.

Have you had your thyroid checked? I have pcos AND hyperthyroidism. Now that I'm.80lbs less both "diseases" are doing so much better! My cycles are even regular! :)

I would go to your obgyn about the pcos. He/she may be able to help you more...but I would go out on a limb and say you don't have it....

This was next question and actually I have both as well. It doesn't seem like you have PCOS (I had/have irregular period cycles, high male hormones don't remember which ones, further back hair line and obesity). Check with your endo and see what he says about your thyroid.