Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op 6 days - minor complications

Hey everyone;

So today I am 6 days Post Op and I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my first follow up. I'm a little concerned about how I'm healing.

I have five incisions - the main one, where the lap band went in, still hurts. Right underneath that incision, I can feel the muscle has swollen and is hard. I don't feel any pain when I am laying down or sitting down in the recliner, but when I stand up straight, shoulders back, I can feel this area pulling and it hurts. Subconsciously, to overcome that feeling, I think my mid-back muscles are trying to hunch and protect this area, and I've got major back pain, which I have never had before. It's not gas, it's the muscles in my back.

Also, while eating or right after I eat, I'm sore in the ribs for a little while. Doesn't matter how much I eat or how little, I get sore. I still also feel like I can't take a deep breath when standing upright.

Anyone else experience this? I'm definitely going to bring it up tomorrow but it's making me wonder if this pain will every go away, along with the hard lump under my incision.

The hard lump you are feeling could be your port. Is it by the largest incision? The pull could be because it is sutured to your muscle

Good point - that's where it might be. I always thought my port would be somewhere down on my abdomen, and I do have an incision on my right side on my abdomen, but that might be where the laproscope went in.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow where it is!

Hey there. I am 6 days Post Op as well and my back is bothering me as well. I think it's just an adjustment in how we are using our abdominal muscles. I also get sore sometimes in the ribs after drinking, and I tend to burp quite a bit....I'm assuming it's gas but I guess I'll find out about that at my Post Op appointment Thursday. Doesn't sound like anything is out of wack with you though! Normal healing. Hope things look up...the port pain seems to be improving everyday...hope it's gone soon cause I miss sleeping on my side! eek

Hey there. I am 6 days Post Op as well and my back is bothering me as well. I think it's just an adjustment in how we are using our abdominal muscles. I also get sore sometimes in the ribs after drinking, and I tend to burp quite a bit....I'm assuming it's gas but I guess I'll find out about that at my Post Op appointment Thursday. Doesn't sound like anything is out of wack with you though! Normal healing. Hope things look up...the port pain seems to be improving everyday...hope it's gone soon cause I miss sleeping on my side! eek

I am 6 days post op too! lots of pain on my right side and burping alot too! and they told me I would be back to work by now, but I can't even put panties on, cuz they hit directly over my stiches.

Hey everyone;

So today I am 6 days Post Op and I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my first follow up. I'm a little concerned about how I'm healing.

I have five incisions - the main one, where the lap band went in, still hurts. Right underneath that incision, I can feel the muscle has swollen and is hard. I don't feel any pain when I am laying down or sitting down in the recliner, but when I stand up straight, shoulders back, I can feel this area pulling and it hurts. Subconsciously, to overcome that feeling, I think my mid-back muscles are trying to hunch and protect this area, and I've got major back pain, which I have never had before. It's not gas, it's the muscles in my back.

Also, while eating or right after I eat, I'm sore in the ribs for a little while. Doesn't matter how much I eat or how little, I get sore. I still also feel like I can't take a deep breath when standing upright.

Anyone else experience this? I'm definitely going to bring it up tomorrow but it's making me wonder if this pain will every go away, along with the hard lump under my incision.

I am six days out too. I have a hard knot about 2 inches above my belly button at the incision where they put the port. I thought they would put the port on the side. It is like a big hard knot and tender to the touch. I am having a little back pain and shoulder pain as well. I have been using the Gax-X chews. The mint flavor seems to calm my stomach a little. The worst thing for me is that I am so tired! I guess my body just wants to rest to heal. Hang in there...we will be done with this phase soon and moving on to the next!

Hey everyone;

This might seem like a silly question, but did you get a Lap or Realize? The reason I ask is that I've heard that since the Lap is sutured to the muscle it is a little more sore than the way they put the Realize port to the muscle. Just something I read, not sure how accurate it is. Kind of like the sutures need to "relax" a bit where the Realize is just clamped on so there are not "strings" to loosen, that is the only way I can describe it. Hope you feel better. I'm going in on the 18th.....hopefully....because I'm getting a darn cold! can you believe it....8 months later, I'm scheduled and getting a cold!

I am 5 days post op and still I'n alot of pain. Last night I had pain I'n my shoulder that felt like I wanted to vomin from it hurting so much. That I'n assuming is the gas. I have went thru alot of gas-x chews and strips nothings working. My pain Meds dont work either. I have a hard time taking a deep breath and have to lay practically sitting up. The biggest pain factor for me is my hunger pains when my stomach growls I tighten up and bend over to put pressure but the pains are more then awful. Hope I feel better sooner than later. As well as everyone else whose having pain

I am 5 days post op and still I'n alot of pain. Last night I had pain I'n my shoulder that felt like I wanted to vomin from it hurting so much. That I'n assuming is the gas. I have went thru alot of gas-x chews and strips nothings working. My pain Meds dont work either. I have a hard time taking a deep breath and have to lay practically sitting up. The biggest pain factor for me is my hunger pains when my stomach growls I tighten up and bend over to put pressure but the pains are more then awful. Hope I feel better sooner than later. As well as everyone else whose having pain

I am 8 days Post-Op and for gas pains I was using the GasX strips but they really didn't help much. I have a friend that recently had the sleeve done tell me that for her using infant gas drops worked better than anything to get rid of gas pains,. I decided to give it a try and so far they work great. I put a couple dopplers full on my tongue and the gas typically goes away within minutes. I think the brand I am using is called Little Tummies, but it was the only infant gas drops I could find at the store. Anyway just thought I would pass that along in case it can help anyone.

This might seem like a silly question, but did you get a Lap or Realize? The reason I ask is that I've heard that since the Lap is sutured to the muscle it is a little more sore than the way they put the Realize port to the muscle. Just something I read, not sure how accurate it is. Kind of like the sutures need to "relax" a bit where the Realize is just clamped on so there are not "strings" to loosen, that is the only way I can describe it. Hope you feel better. I'm going in on the 18th.....hopefully....because I'm getting a darn cold! can you believe it....8 months later, I'm scheduled and getting a cold!

I don't know which one I got - my surgeon decides right when he's in surgery. I'll find out what type it is today, but from what you described it does feel like I have sutures in there.

I'm so sorry you are getting a cold, it needs to get better fast! You need to let your doctor know if it gets worse, you may have to delay your surgery. I can't imagine going through recovery from that and also having a cold - I think I'd give up and just wait to die, LOL!

i am having terrible pain too. My whole body hurts. I think from using muscles I never used before by pulling myself up, etc. This is the worse pain I have ever had in my life. The pain is so band it makes me want to vomit too. It makes my teeth chatter.

I finally made it in to the doctor's office today. I was supposed to go on Tuesday but let's just say that my toilet and I were having a relationship that day :blink:

Yes, it is my main incision and my port is right under it, that's what's so sore. But he said I'm healing very well - I don't have the Realize band, I have the one and only Lap Band in me. I have a 14cc band (the large one). Dr. K agrees that my back is hurting probably because I'm hunching over and trying to protect my sore areas, and my back hasn't hurt as much today as in the past, so maybe it's getting better.

I asked him about the sore ribs - he said that means I'm too full, so I need to be watching myself more carefully.

Oh, and I get my first fill on May 5th - 4 weeks from surgery day. Woohoo!

5 days post op, same thing. Back aches too. I just figured it was still the CO2 still floating around from the laproscopy. Seems worse today think it is because I napped most of the day and did not walk which I hear is best for getting rid of that abdomenal gas. Port suture is the only sore suture and is a bit lumpy. We all sound very similar and have little doubt all normal healing processes. Cheers!:D