Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you know anyone whose band failed them (or, rather, they failed the band)?

By that I mean people who decided to not let the band work for them, either by eating around it or not getting fills (and thus keeping their restriction almost non-existent)?

I work with a couple people who got banded a few years ago. They're friends and got it done at the same time. And BOTH OF THEM have not lost weight because they found ways to cheat and avoid having restriction. They'll eat slider foods or drink warm liquids while eating, which pushes the food down. They haven't had fills in years.

I know I don't have the perfect success story (I'm eating great now, but hadn't been for a while), but I still have never drank while or directly after eating. I definitely WANT the band to work for me and I definitely WANT to lose weight. The world is not perfect and sometimes we don't make the best choices, and sometimes fall of the wagon, but that doesn't mean we give up. I guess I just don't understand how people can go through a surgery and get this band, but then refuse to allow it to work for them.

These are the only people that I know of that have had the lap-band. And they've failed and really don't seem to care. No wonder people around me tell me about their experiences with other people who have had it and it "didn't work for them". Or they lost weight and gained it back. Is that what happens to the majority that has it done?

I love food. Fortunately I love ALL food, even healthy ones. So it's not difficult for me to eat well, although I definitely prefer "not-so-good" foods! :D They're usually cheaper and quicker to prepare! So is it that they don't want to give up food? Don't want to deal with the PB'ing and getting stuck? Don't want to change? I can understand that.... but why get the surgery done in the first place? Do they believe they're capable of modifying their behavior but then realize they can't? Or did they believe it was a magic wand and they wouldn't continue to have to work for it?

By that I mean people who decided to not let the band work for them, either by eating around it or not getting fills (and thus keeping their restriction almost non-existent)?

I work with a couple people who got banded a few years ago. They're friends and got it done at the same time. And BOTH OF THEM have not lost weight because they found ways to cheat and avoid having restriction. They'll eat slider foods or drink warm liquids while eating, which pushes the food down. They haven't had fills in years.

I know I don't have the perfect success story (I'm eating great now, but hadn't been for a while), but I still have never drank while or directly after eating. I definitely WANT the band to work for me and I definitely WANT to lose weight. The world is not perfect and sometimes we don't make the best choices, and sometimes fall of the wagon, but that doesn't mean we give up. I guess I just don't understand how people can go through a surgery and get this band, but then refuse to allow it to work for them.

These are the only people that I know of that have had the lap-band. And they've failed and really don't seem to care. No wonder people around me tell me about their experiences with other people who have had it and it "didn't work for them". Or they lost weight and gained it back. Is that what happens to the majority that has it done?

I love food. Fortunately I love ALL food, even healthy ones. So it's not difficult for me to eat well, although I definitely prefer "not-so-good" foods! :D They're usually cheaper and quicker to prepare! So is it that they don't want to give up food? Don't want to deal with the PB'ing and getting stuck? Don't want to change? I can understand that.... but why get the surgery done in the first place? Do they believe they're capable of modifying their behavior but then realize they can't? Or did they believe it was a magic wand and they wouldn't continue to have to work for it?

I don't know about those people. I also wonder why anyone would go through all that misery and then sabatage themselves. I think they need counseling regarding their food problems. I have lost about 50 pounds....need to lose another 20. I had surgery in October, 2010 - and my weight loss has slowed down. I would expect that with only 20 pounds left to go. I hope the weight will stay off and that I won't gain any back - but we will have to just see how things go. Good luck on your journey -

I know someone like that. He lost a lot at first but eventually stopped. Now he does nothing but complain how he throws up all the time and doesn't lose weight. It's because he takes huge bites, doesn't chew enough, eats all the wrong foods, and his fill is way too tight. He never goes back to the doctor for fills and his band has probably slipped by now because he throws up constantly.

The worst of it is that he tried to discourage me from having the surgery, telling me "Oh you'll throw up every night" and "You'll never be able to eat (insert food here) again!". Needless to say I didn't listen. I didn't go through all this to fail now!

I know, I had someone try to discourage me from the surgery because they knew someone who had it done and it didn't work and they gained even more weight. Well, yeah, that happens.... but I'm going to try to make sure I'm not one of them!

Yes, I know a few people. Actually, I was with a friend today (well more of an acquaintance) and she told me she had a lapband today, but didn't want to tell me because she hates it and had problems, and I guess her band was recalled (but she did lose 50lbs she said, so she guesses it worked regardless, and isn't extremely overweight so I don't know her whole story). She said she couldn't get over the eating for the sake of eating.. emotional eating, and wishes it did more. I dunno..

I also know someone else who just never changed her eating habits, she'd eat whatever, and just puke, didn't care.

Also a relative did it, lost a ton of weight, but has gained a bit back because she's eating around it.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have no problems, I don't puke or get sick all the time, that sounds like zero fun... I can clearly see why you would hate it then.

I don't know of anyone specifically that has failed with the lapband. They have all had success to different degrees. The people I do know and discuss it with - we all have our own way of trying to get the pounds off. Not to say one is better or worse than the other, just different.

I don't use my band for convenience sake. By that I mean, if I'm going on vacation, I don't get an unfill, or if I am going on vacation and need a fill - I get it anyway. It's not an excuse for me to delay getting proper restriction. I don't allow myself to get too tight. I have the ability to eat anything, and keeping my band loose allows me to do that and makes it my responsibility to make the proper food choices. I have adequate restriction to limit my hunger - the rest is up to me. I believe in exercise and strength training to help lose and maintain and tone. I follow my own particular surgeon's instructions - not what necessary someone else's physician says.

I also believe the food "addictions" in people - while having many similarities, can be very unique due to each individual's upbringing, societal influences, and ongoing relationship with food. I've come to the conclusion that even though I've achieved my goals, I will also have issues with food and will always struggle. The band however, does make it easier when my mindset isn't in the right place.

When people fail the band, I don't place all the blame on them. Just by reading many, many posts on this forum, I think there is a tremendous lack of proper education from their practitioners on what it takes to be successful, what problems they may encounter and what should be their priorities when living with the band. While many practices may tout the positive aspects of living with the lapband, they can significantly downplay the negatives and potential issues with having the band. It is a great disservice to their patients.

While all of us may not lose every pound that we wanted to - hopefully in the long run it makes our lives significantly healthier and better. I feel very fortunate that my journey has gone the way it was supposed to and I've not had any issues or problems with getting the proper restriction, limiting my food choices, or being fickle. I consider myself one of the lucky ones and I'm very grateful it worked for me.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have no problems, I don't puke or get sick all the time, that sounds like zero fun... I can clearly see why you would hate it then.

Heather...you sell yourself short. I've followed your posts and your success has nothing to do with 'luck'. It has to do with you having reasonable expectations of the band and changing your relationship with food. Sure...some people are failed by the band, but some also have problems because they get their bands so tight they can't eat without getting stuck. Sadly, too many people were sold their band under a false bill of goods. They believed it would physically restrict how much they eat and so they keep getting fills until that happens...even if it means they have trouble eating normal food.

Yes - my husband! He lost 27kg and has kept that off, enough to reduce health risks but he's still most definitely overweight at 6ft 2, he's 98kg or so. He's a very finely built man, so whilst BMI wise that may not seem overweight, he's got way too much body fat, a beer gut and not alot of muscle. He comes from a family of distance runners, they're all built like whippets. So he's one that should weigh in the low 80's.

He just eats what he wants, eats around the band, eats a bit till he's full and then goes back for more 20 minutes later when its gone down, never exercises, does a sedentary job etc. He's not had a fill for 2 years but is quite tight, he gets a bit of reflux and doesnt even bother going back to check it out. He drives me nuts, I cant see why you'd be so lazy and unmotivated, but I bite my tongue. Nothing worse than some reformed fatty giving you grief - but I will bite if he bitches about the time I spend exercising!