Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jealous fellow lapbander...

I have a co-worker who had the surgery a year ago and has lost 42 lbs and I am so proud of her! She was my inspriation to have the surgery. I had my surgery March 23, 2011 and had my follow-up appointment March 31 and at that point I had lost 16 lbs. Me thinking she would be proud of me for my accomplishment...boy was I wrong! She said that I can't lose more than her, it took her a month to lose 16 lbs, it's not fair! (all her sayings) Yesterday she aked me what I was eating, I told her a 1/2 can of cream of mushroom Soup and a couple of spoons of applesauce, she proceeds to tell me that it's okay for me to eat now and I said i'm fine, my friend asked her why is she trying to make me eat, she said because she's jealous of my weight lose!!!! I know she's saying it in a joking manner but I know she's being serious at the same time. So now i'm in a competition that I didn't even know I entered! SMH :unsure:

Maybe you can find a way to work together and support each other. Now she will have someone to understand what she has been going thru with the surgery and the whole process.

Maybe you can find a way to work together and support each other. Now she will have someone to understand what she has been going thru with the surgery and the whole process.

That's what I thought we were doing for each other because I call her wirh all kinds of questions. And plus we have 2 different body types, I'm tall she's short, she has hips and butt and I have none...

That's what I thought we were doing for each other because I call her wirh all kinds of questions. And plus we have 2 different body types, I'm tall she's short, she has hips and butt and I have none...

One good thing could come out of this she will gain some motivation to work harder if she has lost it!

I'd say take the high road, follow your own plan, and let her play catch up. If she's not losing enough maybe she needs you to be HER example. The comments she's making sound like she's externalizing her internal guilt.

Good luck!

Dave

I have had lapband since january and have lost 46lbs including the pre-op diet. It is and WILL BE possible for you to lose more than her if you follow the rules and do what you're supposed to. Maybe she shouldn't be the one you go to for nutritional advice. It is always helpful though to ask a fellow bandster about feelings...discomforts, pains etc that we are curious about. remember to do what's best for you and your band and you'll be fine.

It is and WILL BE possible for you to lose more than her if you follow the rules and do what you're supposed to.

Funny how that works, isn't it? I'm okay with slower weight loss- any loss is just dandy. The slowness (53 pounds in 13 months) is due to me still struggling with emotional eating issues and not the band or the program. Step by step, I'll get there, even if it takes me longer than other people. :D

Can you gently tell your friend, "It's not a race to an end, it's a journey through life and I'm glad to have you along for the ride. We'll both get where we're going, and I want us to enjoy the trip together."

It's hard when the teacher becomes the student, and that is sort of what is happening here. She's trying to deal with her envy by joking about it, but it has to be very hard for her. Good luck to you both.

You aren't doing anything wrong! 2 different bodies.. everyone loses different. Also... 42lbs in a year isn't that impressive... I mean I don't know her obviously. But that to me, would signal something is up with her diet. So maybe you can motivate her :)

Also don't listen to her, listen to your doctor haha.