Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control question

For as long as I can remember I have had very painful cramps the first day of my period, now for the last 5-6 months I've been getting extremely nauseas as well. Well it is affecting my life, last month I had to leave work because I felt like I was going to vomit. I am finally going to be going to the gynocologist (yes, I've never been) and get some birth control (I've heard it can lesson cramps and such) and make sure nothing is wrong since I'm getting nauseas too.

My question is, I've heard some can make you gain weight, obviously I don't want this side effect. Which ones don't? Also, I'd probably elect for a type that you dont have to take everyday. I have no intentions of ever having a child. I'd have a hysterectomy if I could...lol.

Well no one ever answered my question so I got dome new ones and see if anyone will help me this time.

So I went and the doc gave me loestrin. She said it shouldn't make me gain weight or effect it at all. I've been on it 4 days now and I was supposed to get my period before I started it but could not bear another day that I wanted to vomit, so I started it early. I usually cramp like 5 days before my period and the day of gets bad then it stops. I was supposed to start it yesterday and I am still cramping (not bad). My weight is up think because I was supposed to get TOM but haven't been up like this in months only 1 lb but still. I am feeling kind of tired, is this normal when you first start bc? Has anyone taken loestrin and has it affected their weight loss?

Please help!!!

I tried Loestrin for a month or two but I felt like crap on it and it made my blood pressure go up so I stopped it. I've also tried Femcon and was on Seasonique for many years until my insurance didn't cover it anymore (it's pretty pricey). I have been on Nuvaring now for over a year and I love it! I don't have to remember to take a pill every day and I find the side effects are much less than taking an oral contraceptive. My gyno said that it's also one of the hormonal contraceptive methods that is less likely to cause weight gain. Pretty much all birth control can make you gain weight to some degree though. Depo Provera is probably the most notorious for this (it's an injection you get every three months).

Have you ever used birth control before? You may notice some symptoms like nausea, breast tenderness, spotting between periods, etc. These usually go away after a few cycles. I never had any breakthrough bleeding on Nuvaring except after the surgery, due to a combination of powerful antibiotics and stress from the procedure. BC does usually help with cramps too...it does for me, anyway.

If you never want to have children, you may decide to have a tubal ligation down the line. Most docs won't do it if you haven't had children before because they are afraid you might change your mind. Reversals of tubal ligations are rarely successful so you really have to be sure.

I'm sure your doc probably told you this but you have to use backup birth control for at least a week if you start the pill on a day other than the first day of your period otherwise you could get pregnant.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

So far I've been on it 6 days and my weight is up 2.5-3lb. I am so not happy about this. I know it is the bc, I'm not eating more and I'm exercising the same. I'm giving it til next Sunday and if this weight isn't gone and I still feel crappy I'm stopping it and calling my doc. I'd much rather feel like shit one day a month and be able to lose weight, than feel crappy all the time and not be able to lose weight. People keep telling me my body will adjust so I'm giving it 2 full weeks.

What do ya think?

As for a different kind, I would love the shot but was told that one definitely makes you gain weight, and as for an implant, I don't think I could handle that

Talk to your doctor and see what they suggest. It definitely takes time for your body to adjust to the birth control so you may have to give it a few cycles. Like I said before, I've always felt crummy on oral contraceptives and had trouble losing weight. I have no problems losing weight with the Nuvaring. Definitely stay away from the shot, I've heard of women gaining 30 pounds or more on it!

Loestrin has been my saving grace! It is the only BC I have ever been on though, I have been on it since I was seventeen (im 21 now). I too suffered from AWFUL cramps,and unfortunately for me I always threw up. But if I make sure to take my pill every day around the same time I almost NEVER have cramps and when I do they are very mild. I have not seen any weight gain other than my own doing that the pill has caused. My dosctor told me that BC in the form of a shot will make you gain weight,and also the ones that are placed in your Va jay jay, Maybe try the IUD?

I know this is a little old but I use Seasonique and I LOVE it! I had tried a few others before it and this one has been the best. My cramps were debilitating, I would have to leave school and just had to cry in bed. They gave me pain meds to control it because nothing otc was working. I was put on BC when I was 15 because it was so bad. BC helped a lot, but I've been on seasonique about 3 years now and it's working great! I don't really PMS or have cravings on it and my periods are so light I usually have 2 light days and 1 heavy day (which isn't really all that heavy). It's only 4 periods a year which is also the greatest thing ever!

I USE yaz. its fantastic! no side effects. it lessens PMS to minimal and i only see Aunt Flo about 2 days for very very light days! its great!!!! Been on it about 4 months now

I'm not a fan of birthcontrol at all. I did one round of depovrovera injection back when I was 19 or twenty, and I turned itno such a misrible person on it. I stoped it and did not do any form of bc since then. I also have had menstral irregularites from fibroids in the usterus. I also have PCOS, and fibroids and menstral problems go hand in hand with the weight gain. Have any of you girls that have bad pain with your cycles been scanned for fibroids? they can make you very ill when you get your ycle. I did ont voimit but I did feel nauseus and had bad pain with my period and the bleeding was very heavy wich lead to anemia.

My doctor encourages me to use some form of birthcontrol to prevent pregnancy. I feel like laughing omg like pregnancy would ever happen? But with my luck i'd dropp like 1/2 of my desired amount then get pregnant. I have an allergy to latex so rubbers are out of the question for us, so my husband said he would obstain for like a year. what would be our chances of conceoption anyway i think they are pretty slim to none at this point without medical intervention.

My surgon says i can be banded and pregnant I just have to use some caution as far as banding is considered i guess.

I've been on Ovcon-35 (well, the generic.... Zenchent) for about a month and a half. I was not able to lose weight for a while when I first started taking it, although didn't really gain. Well... sort of true. My boobs have gotten bigger, which is nice. I've always had big boobs and when I lost weight, I lost weight everywhere, so my boobs were starting to look like sad sacks of flesh. The estrogen in the birth control has since made my boobs fill in a bit more, so they look less pathetic than they did - although still unattractive, IMO.

It also made me RAVENOUSLY hungry at first.

I seem to be ok losing weight now, though. I've lost 5lbs in less than a week since I went back to calorie counting.

I started Nuvaring because I was getting nauseous with birth control and it is working great. No weight gain and all of the benefits of being on BC (greatly minimized TOM issues). I highly recommend it. I should have gone with this option years ago.

I used the mini pill. It has no estrogen which is what made me feel like crap. Ive tried all different kinds of BC just to get rid of the long, heavy, miserable periods I had. It was the only one that I didnt gain weight on or feel emotionally damaged.