Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs Gastric sleeve decision?

I am considering getting the Lap Band, but lately I have been researching the gastric sleeve. I was wondering can you all tell me what made you choose to get the band over the sleeve and also what if any impact your surgeon had on your decision. Thank You all, I keep flip flopping back and forth.

Melissa :unsure:

I didn't want any part of me cut out; I'm not sure my parents would have approved and that was an important part to me. I like that the band can be taken out and adjusted as required. I simply needed something that would help me control my portions and keep me full. The band has done just that for me. Though I will say the sleeve is an awesome WLS and I have seen a lot of people with success who have it done.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I am considering getting the Lap Band, but lately I have been researching the gastric sleeve. I was wondering can you all tell me what made you choose to get the band over the sleeve and also what if any impact your surgeon had on your decision. Thank You all, I keep flip flopping back and forth.

My insurance would not pay for a sleeve. I only had 2 choices, lapband or gastric bypass. I chose the band because it is reversible.

Pros and cons to both...the biggest pro to the band is that it can be reversed...sort of. I had my band out 2 weeks ago and it appears that some of it is not reverseable. For example, the band just by itself snugs in your stomach. Even though the band is out, I still have some of that due to scar tissue which means sometimes I'm still getting stuck. Not a huge downside since it's an ever present reminder to take smaller bites and eat more slowly. Also, the phrenic nerve pain that was the reason for the band removal...it's back. Not as bad and not as often but apparently the scar tissue (according to my surgeon) is causing the contact to my diaphragm. Hopefully, it will go away as I heal. So...not completely reverseable after all.

With the sleeve, there is no reversing. What you see is what you get. I know a few people with a sleeve and all say they have to eat every 2 hours because they can't eat much at one sitting so they get hungrier sooner. I also read that many people end up with esophageal reflux.

Sleeve patients tend to have a honeymoon phase during the first year where their hunger is gone and they lose weight quickly. The people I know have. My doctor's nurse lost almost 2/3 of her excess weight in the first year. Band patients typically lose more slowly because the hunger doesn't go away until they get the band to the right restriction and they aren't restricted to how much they can eat even if they are hungry.

It just depends on what you're willing to put up with/risk and what your expectations are. When I had my band out, they wanted to do a sleeve revision. I turned them down...but that's just me.

Obviously, this is up to you and your reasons for getting one surgery rather than another will differ from other people. People's individual experiences (success, failure, challenges) with the band may also differ. But you're asking for other people's experiences, so here's why I personally chose the band and what I think of the sleeve:

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the band. I really have no major complaints. Not being able to eat certain foods isn't a big deal to me. I had some moments after my last fill where I was upset because I was too tight and vomiting, but I had a little bit of the fill taken out and now I'm pretty good.

If I had to choose again, I think I might have considered the sleeve more seriously. The reasons are that the sleeve requires no post-op maintenance (no fills etc.), doesn't necessarily require Vitamin pills if you eat well, and the modified section of the stomach is less susceptible to stretching than the banded pouch or the bypass stomach. Plus, the sleeve is more consistent with the level of restriction you have from day to day, and you'll be able to eat all kinds of foods, just in much smaller portions. I would also prefer the sleeve in the sense that, while it doesn't bother me that much, I would rather not have a noticeable foreign object in my stomach. The port is a little annoying at times and I don't like that I can feel and often see the bump under my skin. Also, along with restricting the size of the stomach, the sleeve surgery removes the part of the stomach that produces the "hunger" hormone, Ghrelin; so, the sleeve reduces hunger (actual physiological hunger, not "head" hunger) more than the band. Finally, another big reason is that the sleeve can be done by some reputable, experienced doctors in Mexico for about $5000-9000.

The reason I went with the band in August 2010 was because I was scared that the Mexico surgeries were all so cheap because the doctors weren't qualified, well-regulated (etc.). Turns out that, while there are many shabby clinics in Mexico, there are some inexpensive surgeons who are highly qualified. There's one, a Dr. Ramos Kelly, who has a lot of experience, a very good track-record, a great reputation amongst his patients in the VSG board, and he does the surgery for about $5500. He also does the lapband surgery for about the same price, but because bands require post-op maintenance (several fills) and I live in Canada, I don't want to have the hassle of finding a new doctor in Canada to agree to do my fills for a surgery done by another surgeon (many won't). I was self-pay, and I still feel really guilty that my mother had to pay $16 000 for my band (she was happy to, and her only worry is that I will have regrets about the band or the surgery will fail, but I still can't help feeling guilty especially if I have to get the band removed before I reach goal!).

So, while I'm currently happy with the band, I'm just really worried about future complications. Experiencing some kind of complication (like slipped bands) seems common among bandsters after a few years. Studies have shown that complications are very common among bandsters 5 years after surgery. With the sleeve, there's a risk of peri-operative complications (leaking) that is greater than the band, but I don't hear of complications years after surgery on the VSG board. The people on the VSG board seem to be much happier and better able to reach goal without having to mess around with fills and go through periods of "bandster hell." People say that at least the band is reversible, but many bandsters know that, while the object itself can be removed, the resulting scar-tissue and other complications of the band are often permanent or at least long-term. That's not quite reversible.

There is no perfect weight-loss surgery. Even with the sleeve, people can still cheat. They can drink milk-shakes and eat around the sleeve stomach too. I don't have a problem with junk-food, just portion-control, and seeing as both surgeries can't resolve the problem of food choices, this isn't really a reason to choose the band over the sleeve.

So, as you can tell, I'm beginning to really favour the sleeve as opposed the band. If I ever have a slip or other complication, rather than pay $5000 to get the band replaced, I'm taking my money to Mexico and getting the sleeve (unless I find upon further research that the sleeve is not a good option for me).

i was planning to have the lap band. i went to a seminar yesterday where they discussed all 3 surgeries. They do perform all 3 surgeries however, i learned that the lap band does have more complications long term. And everything that Birinak said is all true ( in my opinion ) Even though i wanted the lap band so bad, i felt unsure because of the problems some of the bandsters have had here. Even after the surgery, there is a struggle to get to your "green zone" and that takes a number of fills. So ive changed my mind to the sleeve. But im also researching that as well. just to be sure that this is the best for me. Good luck!!

The band is an aid in helping your hunger, in return you should eat less.. but that's it.

With the sleeve it does more work for you, physically limits your food intake.. but it's also major surgery and they are cutting out your insides.

I would say you need to physically understand what the lapband will do you for, and see if you can live with that.

Have you considered gastric plication? My mom went to dr ortiz in Mexico to get the lapband but then learned about the plication. It's similar to the sleeve, but there is no cutting, so it's reversible. Like the sleeve there are no fill requirements, she was in her "green zone" from day one. You should research dr Ortiz and that procedure as a possible option.

Had I known about the plication, I think I still would've chosen the band. I find comfort in knowing it's adjustable. I just wonder what sort of restriction needs I will need over time; will I need different adjustments after pregnancies, after menopause or when I'm 60? I just like that it can be adjusted, though I agree it can be a pain to get to the right restriction.

Pros and cons to both...the biggest pro to the band is that it can be reversed...sort of. I had my band out 2 weeks ago and it appears that some of it is not reverseable. For example, the band just by itself snugs in your stomach. Even though the band is out, I still have some of that due to scar tissue which means sometimes I'm still getting stuck. Not a huge downside since it's an ever present reminder to take smaller bites and eat more slowly. Also, the phrenic nerve pain that was the reason for the band removal...it's back. Not as bad and not as often but apparently the scar tissue (according to my surgeon) is causing the contact to my diaphragm. Hopefully, it will go away as I heal. So...not completely reverseable after all.

With the sleeve, there is no reversing. What you see is what you get. I know a few people with a sleeve and all say they have to eat every 2 hours because they can't eat much at one sitting so they get hungrier sooner. I also read that many people end up with esophageal reflux.

Sleeve patients tend to have a honeymoon phase during the first year where their hunger is gone and they lose weight quickly. The people I know have. My doctor's nurse lost almost 2/3 of her excess weight in the first year. Band patients typically lose more slowly because the hunger doesn't go away until they get the band to the right restriction and they aren't restricted to how much they can eat even if they are hungry.

It just depends on what you're willing to put up with/risk and what your expectations are. When I had my band out, they wanted to do a sleeve revision. I turned them down...but that's just me.

I am new to the lap band, but so far I love it. I have had 2 strokes so I couldn't consider the bypass or sleeve. But, I will say, at my doctor's office you had to have a BMI of like 52 before insurance would pay for sleeve. Also, the part of the stomach they cut, they take out, it is gone forever. That was scary to me. At least with the bypass, they leave in the part of the stomach they cut. Search and search again, talk to people who have had all diff. surgeries, and see how they feel one year later. Good luck on your decision. I wish you the best!!!

Well, seeing as I've had both the lap band and now I'm sleeved I can tell you I truly love being sleeved far more. I won't get into details out in the open simply because this is a Lap Band support website and I must respect that, and I absolutely do.

I just wanted to say that elfiepoo and biriniak both had excellent responses and are very spot on. I always just like to say, the lap band IS NOT reversible. It is removable... then again there have been some where that is not entirely true either.

Questions: PM me.

All the best in your decision... and know that it is YOUR decision. :)

WHAT IS PHRENIC NERVE PAIN AND WHAT CAUSES IT? HOW LONG DID YOU HAVE THE BAND?

Phrenic nerve pain is caused by something rubbing up against the diaphragm. It actually effects one of the vertebrae but it sends a radiating pain to the left forearm/shoulder area. Some people get it when they overeat. Mine was caused by 'position'...mostly when lying down, but sitting in the passenger seat of the car put me in just the right position as well. After 16 months, I just couldn't take it anymore since, at that point, I could only sleep in the recliner chair and only at a certain angle so I had them take it out.

Well, seeing as I've had both the lap band and now I'm sleeved I can tell you I truly love being sleeved far more. I won't get into details out in the open simply because this is a Lap Band support website and I must respect that, and I absolutely do.

I just wanted to say that elfiepoo and biriniak both had excellent responses and are very spot on. I always just like to say, the lap band IS NOT reversible. It is removable... then again there have been some where that is not entirely true either.

Questions: PM me.

All the best in your decision... and know that it is YOUR decision. :)

respond to me via email i would like to know why you had the lap band removed the sleeve placed and was it covered by insurance,were you a self pay

respond to me via email i would like to know why you had the lap band removed the sleeve placed and was it covered by insurance,were you a self pay

have you considered banded plication? That's what i'm going to do, i was indecisive with the band vs sleeve as well.