Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am thrilled for everyone who is having success with thier band, really, I am, but I find myself having to stop from being jealous of people who have been more successful than me at similar points in the journey.

It makes me sound shallow or selfish, and I am neither. I am pleased as punch about the 54lbs I have lost so far, yet when I read about other people at the 6-7 month mark who have lost more, I get mad at myself for not being the same place thay are. I know in my head this is unreasonable, but in my heart, I am jealous and envious of those people, even though I am happy for them at the same time.

My doctor is pleased with my progress. My family is happy about my changes. My friends are tickled for me. My coworkers are impressed with my results. I, most times, am thrilled, so why the envy and jealousy? Is this normal? Is there some magic mantra I can repeat to myself and make the envy go away?

Thanks for listenening to me vent. I appreciate all the support I have recieved from members.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

OMG 54lbs in 6-7 months is amazing. I have not been banded yet, and I can only hope to be that successful. So keep up the great work, and don't compare yourself to everyone else you're doing great!!

I'm sure it's normal to feel that way. I know that some people that were banded about the same time as me are doing better, but I just try to remember that we are all different. I think back to before my surgery and think of how I would have felt after losing what I've lost, and I realize I would be ecstatic :) You are doing great, you have lost a large amount and should just feel pride. Keep up the great work!!!!

Don't beat yourself up. From looking at your ticker you're already 1/2 to goal? In 6-7months? That's amazing. Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone is different. And our surgeons all do things differently. My surgeon filled my band with 5cc's an hour after surgery. Not many surgeons do that. So I already had what sounds like the equivelant of 3-5 fills from reading these boards. Do you see how my immediate restriction might make my rate of loss different from someone who had no fill and took several fills to be where I was right out of the gate? Or there are people that got 4cc fills on their first fill, some got 2cc's, some got .2cc's, some got 5cc's etc. etc. Also, we are on different diets. Some people are eating rice, and Pasta, and bread and that is ok for them. My doc told me high Protein, low carb no Snacks. It's all different for each and every one of us. So try to keep that in mind. Just follow your rules and try to remember that you are doing great. You are so close to Onederland now don't get discouraged!

We are pretty close in the weight loss and the time of our surgery. So congrats on the weight loss. This is the first time ever in my life I have loss that much weight and kept it off. Yay Us!!!!!!! Keep it up.

I can understand Kim, I feel the same way at times, but you can't let it get to you. Think about all YOU have accomplished. I for one feel so much better about myself, have started kickboxing last month (which I would've been embarrassed to do before), am getting compliments like crazy at work about how good I look and my weight loss (actually bothers me at times, since I've never been good at getting them). So think about things that are happening to you and hold those close and not what others are doing. Some people lose quicker and some lose slower. If I have your weight loss at 6-7 months, I will be happy.

You are doing amazing!! I was banded a few weeks before you and am close to your weight loss with 63 lbs. You are doing just fine girl! :)

My sister on the other hand is becoming jealous because I am getting closer to her size now. ;)

It's cliche, but true. Try not to compare yourself to others. I lost at a rate of 3/4 of a pound per week. Slower than the expected 1-2 pounds per week for most patients. I was seeming my fellow band mates losing much faster than I. But I kept marching on.

And you know what? I now wear a size 10, sometimes an 8, and I have been there for a year now! I am wearing out clothes before I grow out of them. How exciting is that!?

Time keeps moving, whether you are losing 5 pounds a week or 2, you will still get to your goal. It might take a little longer than you'd like, but you WILL get there. That's the thing with a band. You are doing a drastic diet that comes to an end. You are eating right and creating habits that you will continue forever.

Keep doing what you are doing! You'll get there!