Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Diet is Killing Me!!

I am only in week 2 of my 5 week post op diet. I don't know if I can make it 3 more weeks without eating "real food." I am so tired of chicken broth, puree'd potato Soup, gatorade, and cream of wheat. I'm really at a point where I'm regretting my decision to have surgery!! Not good in week 2 I know!!! I'm just so frustrated with the same thing every day. It seems like each day just drags by. I don't look forward to coming home and having a nice meal because I don't get to have one.

I know when i see the weight coming off I will be glad I did it, but right now I feel like whining and complaining a little bit!! lol. I really am just frustrated with it all at this point and I needed to vent!! Thanks for listening!!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm 9 days out and I can't wait until I get to the mushy part. In fact I just had a mini breakdown over this whole thing. There I was crying because Michale proposed to Holly on the Office and all the sudden I'm balling about how much this sucks. I can't really offer any advice, but I can say hang in there, you're not the only one who feels this way :)

I hear you. Toucan do it. I felt the same way. If you are getting butlers Wth your foods try something new are you on misfits or purees? I ate a lot of Avacado, refried Beans, scrambled eggs and pudding at that loin in my recovery. I am 6 weeks out now and on regular foods. If I can make it so can you.

I am almost 3 months out - so not a pro by any means, but, my post op diet was only for 2 weeks. You want to follow the doctor the best you can - and make sure you are not eating out of boredom or head hunger (which is a big part of the transition period). But you are in "bandster hell" - no restriction and full hunger. It will get better, and youw will not ruin your band if you eat something with a little substance (oatmeal etc.) - also at this point I was able to move on to soft solids (not all doctors allow this). Here is the deal - you will need to diet until you get enough fills to find restriction (i have 5cc's in an 11cc band with NO restrictions); try to get your Protein first (at least 60 grams per day), get all of your Water in (at least 60 ounces) and stay under 1200 calories - and you WILL lose weight and you wont be hungry. I know that when I dont get enough protein or water the weight does not come off, and I am more hungry. Do the best you can - eventually it gets better, but it is not a miracle, you will always have to watch what goes into your mouth. Good Luck and best wishes!

Well.... my doctor didn't talk about the diets too much. I know, I don't think he's the best one around for this type of thing, but for a surgeon I'd trust no other. So at about the 2nd week post op I'm ready to kill people. Obviously my stomach swelling is gone, I'm friggin starving, and I don't need MOOSHIES. So I'm kind of on my own diet plan so to speak. Mostly fluids, some Protein shake for lunch or even Breakfast, my Vitamins, and a reasonable meal consisting of mostly Protein chewed to death for dinner.

I tried eating veggies the other day and suffered for hours, so it's not all good. I can't say you should or shouldn't do something, but if you're on the edge of having a complete melt down, adjust things for yourself a bit. I know when I was completely on Water during the last week of my pre-op diet, because I couldn't stand the dairy products and shakes any longer, I was the most apt to crack and snarff something down as fast as possible. I did it 3 times and felt VERY ill from overeating, AND totally guilty like a failure.

You've just got to be honest and reasonable with yourself. I cook for my family, I sit with them at restaurants. To do that with a glass of Water SUCKS. WHAT can I have 3 weeks out that isn't going to hurt me, the band, or my weight loss. That is the question... and I'm doing pretty good so far. A whole lot less pissed off and not bawling all the time.

Read my blog on chew bags... IT DOES WORK!!!

Bren

Something else too... you start to realize how much your life has revolved around meals, food, etc. and how much of it is head hunger and what isn't. It's an interesting time to go through, so experience it the best you can. It's all part of the journey, and finding new things to do. I still look forward to planning my families meals, and mine every day, but I also notice how many times in a day I would have turned to the kitchen and no longer do. We're cutting that umbilicus kitcheness. Hehehehe!!

Hang on there man!!!

Bren

Hi Stevenjoec,

Here are some ideas on things that I am eating in the MOOSHIE stage...... maybe some will appeal to you and help you get through to "real food". (Please note that the philosophy of my Physician's office is low carb, low carb, low carb.....so NO bread Pasta or rice. This may or may not be something you espouse to, but I'll make suggestions any way. Hope you find them helpful).

-meatballs (i use Farm Rich frozen) with red sauce in slow cooker - mash up, add ricotta cheese and mozzarella

-scrambled eggs with cheese and jarred red bell peppers - i make them in the microwave at work for lunch

-sugar free popsicles - they're more delicious than you remember ;)

-chicken salad with Mayonnaise and a hint of barbeque sauce - use the food processor to grind the chicken

-smoothies - i use my Protein powder to make them - drink slowly cuz they can be really thick

Good luck to you!

You may want to call your doc. and see if you can advance your diet early. I was only on full liquids for one week, then mushies for one then regular food. I had no problems. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Hang in there!

I am only in week 2 of my 5 week post op diet. I don't know if I can make it 3 more weeks without eating "real food." I am so tired of chicken broth, puree'd potato Soup, gatorade, and cream of wheat. I'm really at a point where I'm regretting my decision to have surgery!! Not good in week 2 I know!!! I'm just so frustrated with the same thing every day. It seems like each day just drags by. I don't look forward to coming home and having a nice meal because I don't get to have one.

I know when i see the weight coming off I will be glad I did it, but right now I feel like whining and complaining a little bit!! lol. I really am just frustrated with it all at this point and I needed to vent!! Thanks for listening!!

Trust me,, It can, and will get better.

The one thing you should be drinking is Protein shakes. Why?

Because Protein kills the hunger.

There's a lady on ebay where I buy my supplies from. She has MUSCLE MILK LIGHT for $5.99 a jug. (that's cheap) also in 2 flavors chocolate Peanut Butter,strawberry milkshake. Now this is a Protein shake it's not a milkshake, but it;s good. You can add a couple of strawberries, and some Ice cubes, and put it in a blender, and have a great smoothie (once you heal)

In the meantime I would order some,. You got to have something anyway. Go to a store and purchase a shaker bottle. The rest is flavored protein, and Water. Good Luck to you. I hope you took some good advice.

Just type in Muscle Milk, and look for $5.99 price. She's there. Tell her I sent you if you want. I always buy from her.

Shirley.

Something else too... you start to realize how much your life has revolved around meals, food, etc. and how much of it is head hunger and what isn't. It's an interesting time to go through, so experience it the best you can. It's all part of the journey, and finding new things to do. I still look forward to planning my families meals, and mine every day, but I also notice how many times in a day I would have turned to the kitchen and no longer do. We're cutting that umbilicus kitcheness. Hehehehe!!

Hang on there man!!!

Bren

So well stated!!! This is 99% of the problem right here. Keeping yourself really busy, and putting some distance between you and food, will make it easier. Exercise helps because when you are done, you are usually feeling really good and in a positive frame of mind.

I tried some things before I was supposed to, and I did fine. Refried Beans thinned out with some salsa and a spoon of sour cream might be good. Or better yet, replacing the sour cream with plain greek yogurt (I use Fage brand) gives you a bunch of Protein and the same consistency. I wouldn't go too far off your doctor's plan, but if you're dying for something different, just try to make it healthy and not hard to swallow.

Before you know it, you'll be a few months post op, having success, and remembering this as one teeny bump in the road.

Believe me, you are not alone! I am still in the full liquids phase of my postop diet and I will admit I have shed a few tears over not being able to eat. I have always known I was an emotional eater and a food addict but this really solidifies it! Every day that passes is a victory for me and one step closer to being able to eat again. Just take it one day at a time and it will be over soon. I'm right there with ya!

It gets better. Try jazzing up your food..Get creative with what you can eat !! I buy muscle milk vanilla and add sugar free coffee syrups to it- raspberry, hazelnut etc. you can also add it to the cream of wheat. Don't be so consumed with what you can't eat... stay postivie and good luck. You will not regret your decision. I am a year out and when I look back- I have no regrets. It gets easier.

Thank you all so much for the great advice. I go back to the Dr. for my first checkup on Monday. I may ask him about the possibility of speeding up the recovery process. lol. Lots of great idea's from you all as well.....thank you!!!