Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chose Realize Band.....good choice? yeah, or nay?

I met with the surgeon yesterday as my pre-op appointment, getting instructions and all that. We can choose our band and of course I'm researching and researching. I think I'm going to go with the Realize? Why? I'm not 100% sure, but I think the flatter port made my decision and reading about low pressure vs. high pressure? Thoughts, suggestions, do you like yours? Pros/Cons....lemme hear it....

I got the 11cc Realize Band in August. I have lost 60 pounds and have 8cc in my band. The port is quite low profile, yet the doc never has a problem with accessing it. I also did my research and I chose the Realize band for a variety of reasons.

Low profile port.

The softer baffle system of the band itself.

More room for adjustments as time goes on.

Read about the difference in how the band is filled, the Fluid can 'shift' in the band after a fill, if the fluid is all pulled out and put back with more etc

I am very happy with my band, and I do think either Lap or Realize ultimately do the same thing. My band helps with hunger. I can easily go 5-6 hours between meals, fill up on less volume and it makes me very cognizant of everything I eat.

Good luck either way.

Bonnie

They work about the same. I don't personally know, as my doc only does the Lap-band, but I've heard that it requires a bit more Fluid to reach the "green-zone" with the realize band. Other than that, seems to be a coin toss. :)

I have the Realize Band because that's the band my doctor prefers to use. I read about both the Realize band and Lap Band and didn't really have a preference. I was banded in October 2010, so far I'm down between 56-60 pounds (56.5 lbs since my last dr. appt a few weeks ago; 60 lbs. based on my scale today). My band is an 11 cc band and I think I've finally reached my "sweet spot" at 7.5 cc's. Good luck with your surgery.

Lapband can be placed with a low profile port too. Mine is!

I asked about this.....because I said if he "got in there" and decided that maybe a Lap was better, a low profile port is very important to me. The PA told me that they don't use the lower profile port for the Lap, just the regular one, so that is how I leaned more toward the Realize. I was actually good with either one but the low profile was important....If they would use the low profile for Lap, I don't think I'd care which they implanted. I like that the Realize is supposedly a low pressure, but then I've read things about it being a "triangle" shape when filled. In reality, the doctor told me, neither is better, neither has less complications, he likes the applicator for the port for the Realize but the Lap is fine too. He was quite honest and said, it's all how you use it. 85% of success is how you use it, neither band is magic and they can both fail you if you fail yourself. There you go......so I guess it just comes down to the port size for me...silly I know.

I asked about this.....because I said if he "got in there" and decided that maybe a Lap was better, a low profile port is very important to me. The PA told me that they don't use the lower profile port for the Lap, just the regular one, so that is how I leaned more toward the Realize. I was actually good with either one but the low profile was important....If they would use the low profile for Lap, I don't think I'd care which they implanted. I like that the Realize is supposedly a low pressure, but then I've read things about it being a "triangle" shape when filled. In reality, the doctor told me, neither is better, neither has less complications, he likes the applicator for the port for the Realize but the Lap is fine too. He was quite honest and said, it's all how you use it. 85% of success is how you use it, neither band is magic and they can both fail you if you fail yourself. There you go......so I guess it just comes down to the port size for me...silly I know.

I don't think it is silly at all to want a low profile port. I was adamant about that too. My surgeon uses a low profile port with Lapband as a general rule. She says there is no reason to not use a low profile port. She didn't give me the option of which band - she did tell me that she felt that Realize band was older technology but didn't say specifically why. I just know she no longer uses it in her practice. Also, there was recently a recall on some Realize bands - if I remember correctly it was due to the port tubing slipping out of place but I am sure they have corrected that for new ones coming into the market and it wasn't something that happened often.

Your surgeon sounds like a good one. If he says he only uses a low profile port with Realize then I would do that. I think the low profile port is really important too.

Best wishes to you! Keep us posted!

My surgeon prefers Realize so that's what I got. With Realize, you also get access to a very good online resource that lets you track stats for weight, measurements, clothes size, etc., log food intake and exercise, and get great recipes and helpful hints, AND your surgeon can also access your stats and food/exercise diaries to help keep you on track between appointments.

My surgeon prefers Realize so that's what I got. With Realize, you also get access to a very good online resource that lets you track stats for weight, measurements, clothes size, etc., log food intake and exercise, and get great recipes and helpful hints, AND your surgeon can also access your stats and food/exercise diaries to help keep you on track between appointments.

I have the Realize band (3/9/11). Can you tell me the website so that I can look into this online resource. Thanks

I have the Realize band (3/9/11). Can you tell me the website so that I can look into this online resource. Thanks

I'm thinking if you go on Realize.com there is an option for patient support. www.realizemysuccess.com

maybe something like that. Realize My Succss Program, if you search that you should find it. Also, If you register after your surgery, there should be numbers you are to register from your band card? I've snooped around on the site and registered even though I'm not banded, and can't access everything because I don't have numbers to register from my band. I guess this will also allow your doctor to see your progress if you wish.

My surgeon uses both and asked if I had a preference. I didn't and told him to use what he felt was best for my anatomy. I have a 14cc Realize Band. Happy so far....

The website for the Realize band is www.realizemysuccess.com When you were banded you should've been given a card. If you register you band number, you get full access to the site.

Lapband can be placed with a low profile port too. Mine is!

O.K.,,,, I have to ask. What do you mean by low profile?

If you mean you can't see it, (AS IN PERTRUDING) You can't

see mine. If you feel it, yes you will find it.

But my surgeon did a good job with sewing it to the muscle,

so ,,,, it's there, but there is no way you can see this.

I'm old school, and it was back in 06 is when I had mine put in.

So I really don't understand how any one could see the band if it sewn to the muscle.

If you weighed 90lbs.,, Yeagh!!! I'm sure it's possible. But other then

that, someone please explain it to me