Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

left shoulder pain?

I know theres probably a post for this but it must be back to far. What causes it and the twinge in my left side im 11 days post op?

I have it too. My doctor said it is from the gas they put inside of you during surgery. The body needs to absorb it, light walking or exercise speeds up the process I guess. I am only 5 days post opp and feel like it's a traveling heart attack!

I know theres probably a post for this but it must be back to far. What causes it and the twinge in my left side im 11 days post op?

So soon after surgery, it could be gas although my surgeon's assistant says gas pain would be in the right shoulder, not the left. I'm just repeating what she said since I'm not sure why it would only be in the right shoulder.

At any rate, if the pain continues and it's in the left shoulder/upper arm, then it's most likely phrenic nerve pain caused by some part of the band hitting the diaphragm. Some people get it when they eat too much. Some, like me get it in certain positions. I can't lie down or sit in certain positions (like the passenger seat of a car or a plane seat) without the pain. Some find the pain goes away as they lose weight or it's intermittent and just an annoyance. Mine hasn't gotten better with losing weight or even getting a complete unfill so I'm having it out on Wednesday.

Thank you for the info i was driving for a while and in the same position.

Gas is usally gone within 48 hours. You may never get rid of that pain. I have had it for 15 months sometimes I get relief but most of the time I live with it. It could be your signal you are full or that the band is just laying on that nerve. It may get better it may not.

Did you have a hernia repaired with your lap band?

I did . When they repair the hernia they can irritate the Phrenic Nerve. The pain from the Phrenic Nerve is a reffered pain and is worst than childbirth...and I've had 5 kids. I'd gladly give birth, than have the shoulder pain I had for several days.rolleyes.gif

It's has settled down, I think just the healing process helps. I tried the walking and gas-x, none of it helped.

The only thing I found that helped was a very warm heating pad and laying down and trying to relax.

Hang in there. It will get better.

We were banded close to the same time. My surgery was 3-9-11.

Missy

That's my story too. I was banded on 3/21/11 and they repaired a hernia while in there. I've had horrible shoulder pain! I am trying the heating pad now.

I've seen this question several times and since I also had left shoulder pain, I thought I would relay what I learned. The following is a direct quote from the book that my surgeon provided to me pre-op. I found it helpful.

In the book The Lap-Band Solution, Dr. Paul O'Brien writes: "It is common to have pain at the left shoulder area after the procedure. This pain is actually coming from the diaphragm, which is the large sheet of muscle that separates the chest, with its heart and lungs, from the abdomen. It is called referred pain because although it comes from the diaphragm, the brain interprets it as coming from the left shoulder and you feel sore there. It is common early after the operation but usually settles in a few days. Occasionally it can linger on for many weeks. We (the author) do not know exactly why it occurs and therefore we cannot predictably avoid it. Apart from letting time pass, various simple techniques have been found to help and are worth trying:

• hot packs to the shoulder
  • standing or sitting upright
  • resting quite still for 10 minutes
  • walking about
  • peppermint tea
  • simple pain relievers"

The other thing that my doctor told me is that if the pain moves beyond the shoulder area, e.g. into the upper arm, neck or chest, to consult a doctor immediately, call an ambulance or get myself to the ER because it could be something more serious. A scary reminder that with obesity comes a higher risk of heart attack. Boy, I can't wait to get down to a normal weight!

I have the pain in my left shoulder and I was banded in November. I had a slight unfit today .2cc. The PA said that being tight can also be from being too tight.

I got banded on nov. 11th. i have that shoulder pain too!!! it seems like everytime I get a fill it agrravates it even more. It has been off and on for the past months. My doctor thought I was to full too and took out 2 cc. but I still have the pain, even right now as I am typing. They say it gets better, so I am definitely waiting for that particular day!!!!!