Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for suggestions/help

I was banded on 12/27/2010.. I had lost 28 lbs by my first check in February with a 3cc fill. Then in March I went and weighed in i was mortified , I gained 5 lbs . I tried the weight watcher diet , concious of what I take in , I even cut way down on the caloric intake , I exercised and changed much of my habits so I cant comprehend why I gained 5 . As of the 16th I had 3cc more add , I am now at 6 CC.

Currently Fluid restricted till Saturday and then a soft diet. I feel like I already failed gaining the weight , what did I do wrong ? what should I eat ?

I have Peanut Butter as a pick up but I am boring with food and meals so a big ole Help is being shouted .

Almost 30 lbs in 3 months is awesome. You are losing on average 10lbs a month, which is approximately 2-3 lbs a week. I suggest weighing yourself daily to keep better track of your weight loss and gain. Don't worry as long as you are doing what you are supposed to do, you'll loss weight. Good luck, stay encouraged and you'll be fine.

Been on that roller coaster a little myself. I'm sorry that your weight went up. It could be a combination of many things -- clothes you wore, scales were recalibrated, different shoes, timing of meals and bathroom breaks, time of day you were weighed. The way you feel and the way your clothes fit are more of a measure.

Had surgery in August 2009. Life was great. No issues -- lost more weight in the first 6 months than the doc told me I would lose in 3 years. (238 to 165). Then no weight loss for next 6 months. I was OK with that. I like the way I look and feel at 165.

The week before Thanksgiving my band suddenly became too tight and I was having raging heartburn (you know the kind, ripping open packages of heart burn meds and bottled warter while standing in line at Target heart burn). Went to dr next day. He took out all of the Fluid and kept it out for 2 weeks. Then only put half of it back in. In those 4 months (November to March) I gained 10 lbs. I could eat anything, everything, and then some. This guy was not my original surgery doc. He was not a believer in the band and never recommended it to his patients. But I worked for the organization and he was the guy I had to go to. I begged him to put all of it back in. I have a 14 band and was filled to 10. He put in 6. His original plan was to only put in 5 but somehow there was an extra cc in there when he was done. I told him I needed more, I needed it to be back to what it was or just under. Nope. He wouldn't do it.

Went back this week for a fill -- changed jobs, different hospital system, different doc. This one listened. Said I had done so well before, knew how to work the program and knew my body. What did I want. I said I wanted to go to 9. Felt that would give me restriction without running the risk of it being too tight again. He agreed and scheduled me to come back in 2 months -- sooner if there is a problem and we (get that WE) will decide where to go from there.

I can feel the biggest difference. But oh did I quickly relearn the bad habits that come with being able to eat whatever you want. So, now I am back to the basic rules - no straws, no soda, no drinking before during or after meals and stop when you are no longer hungry, not when you are so full you can feel it. And no snacking. Snacking becomes grazing for me so I don't do it. I can already tell the difference in my jeans (and this was just done on Tuesday). Let me say, however, that I do have Water beside me. If something is very dry, I will sip Water rather than douse it in gravy to make it go down easier.

Did I mention that my poor husband is a gourmet cook who loves to try new recipes and is trying hard to keep it under 500 calaories for dinner. I've learned that cottage cheese with pineappe is just as good as moose tracks ice cream -- just different.

You will get there. The journey is just a little different for each of us.

Life is good.

I was banded on 12/27/2010.. I had lost 28 lbs by my first check in February with a 3cc fill. Then in March I went and weighed in i was mortified , I gained 5 lbs . I tried the weight watcher diet , concious of what I take in , I even cut way down on the caloric intake , I exercised and changed much of my habits so I cant comprehend why I gained 5 . As of the 16th I had 3cc more add , I am now at 6 CC.

Currently Fluid restricted till Saturday and then a soft diet. I feel like I already failed gaining the weight , what did I do wrong ? what should I eat ?

I have Peanut Butter as a pick up but I am boring with food and meals so a big ole Help is being shouted .

I would say don't pay attention to your fills really... I feel like too much importance is place upon them. I feel like people spend so much time worrying about a sweet spot and all that nonsense. There isn't going to be a magical moment, when you just start randomly losing weight. The band is there to press on the vagus nerve (controlled by fills) to control your hunger, when you get enough in your band, you won't be as hungry. Just follow a low cal diet, and exercise. That's all you can really do.

Are you being realistic with your diet? I know for me, I like to pretend I eat good all the time, but I know I don't, and if I don't lose weight I know it's my fault. Also how often do you weigh? I'd weigh daily or every few days to make sure you are on track, you shouldn't be waiting to see your doctor to get weighed.

Have you tried any shakes? I found starting the day with a shake packed with Protein really helps me - as I am too tight in the morning to eat anything anyway....I love the herbalife shakes and I add powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Unflavored Protein powder to them....get creative and change up the flavors -you can add a tsp of any sugar free pudding to shakes to add variety. (cheesecake is YUMMY!)

Until you hit your sweet spot you will struggle more with being hungry between meals and you just have to try and make good decisions and get lots of Protein in to help keep you feeling full longer.

Hang in there - this is a journey!

Kim

For me a lot of that 'hunger' between meals really proved to be very relieved by drinking my Water. Even now 6+ years postOp the decrease in 'hunger satisfying behavior' is surprising....just by drinking water (8 oz at a time works for me). Several times a day is a good habit. And no Bandster has ever died of 'hunger'....so don't be afraid of it. Much of my own preOp overeating was based on the anxiety of 'becoming hungry' rather than 'being' hungry.

Actually, I KNOW the feeling; I was banded 1-18-11.....and filled to 5cc....need to see my surgeon tomorrow and HOPE that I haven't gained weight; it is coming off slowly for me.....only lost 25 lbs so far. I count calories and keep a food journal....but I have a broken kneecap...so don't get too much exercise either....which is a bummer. Something that helps me at night AND feels like I am cheating is to buy the new : Jello Mouse chocolate cups.....it is really fluffly and feels like you are eating something OFF of a diet....AND....it is only 60 calories. So at night when I have the munchies....I grab one of those....PLUS....V-8 Splash and other drinks....diet....but they give you fruit AND vegetables in each drink.....like 20 calories for 8 oz. Very satisfying and good for the body. YES....a lot of the food is boring.....but GOOD LUCK with Everything!! and God bless you, Cheri....from AZ

I would say don't pay attention to your fills really... I feel like too much importance is place upon them. I feel like people spend so much time worrying about a sweet spot and all that nonsense. There isn't going to be a magical moment, when you just start randomly losing weight. The band is there to press on the vagus nerve (controlled by fills) to control your hunger, when you get enough in your band, you won't be as hungry. Just follow a low cal diet, and exercise. That's all you can really do.

Are you being realistic with your diet? I know for me, I like to pretend I eat good all the time, but I know I don't, and if I don't lose weight I know it's my fault. Also how often do you weigh? I'd weigh daily or every few days to make sure you are on track, you shouldn't be waiting to see your doctor to get weighed.

That is the sweet spot or green zone or whatever we are seeking so why would you call it nonsense?

That is the sweet spot or green zone or whatever we are seeking so why would you call it nonsense?

The notion of 'sweet spot' is a convenience in describing subtle changes than a Bandster experiences in progression from being Morbidly Obese to being whatever their new body.

A patient with a set of given objective physical findings, will be described differently and treated considerably differently depending on what specialty the treating physician practices. As example, a low back patient faces considerably different therapeutic options if the provider is an Orthopedist or a Neurologist, and just what their own model of restorative treatment might include. While the goal may be the same---no pain and normal functional capacity--how they get to that point is often subject to considerably different protocols.

Those afflicted with Morbid Obesity have a wide variety of issues which complicates successful treatment.

Some Bandsters require definition of specifics, whether those models are anatomically correct or not.

A behaviorist will describe the eating behavior of Normos which is considerably different from the Morbidly Obese. The changes in eating behavior demonstrate what can reasonably called a 'sweet spot'. The Band structurally causes mechanical changes in an often psychologically obsessed individual who typically has emotional as well as biochemical anomalies which are part of the complexities associated with being Morbidly Obese.

Those fascinated with the silicon and saline dynamics can describe all phases of the Band in considerable detail entirely independent of the actual effects on the Band patient.

In the rich and incredibly interrelated environment including psychodynamics, changing bodily habitus, decades-long eating habits, obscure blood and hormonal influences, as well as the need to discover let alone learn to manage a whole new survival skill of not just of eating when hungry, but recognizing AND stopping when NOT hungry, the use of a handy term that identifies SUCCESS, then "sweet spot" works well for most.

whenever *I* get way stressed over what to do, I dig out my old shorts from the day I went to surgery.....Size 56/58 compared to the blue ones prove something is going right captnjack.jpg

It's not nonsense. Many people on this board talk of their "sweet spot" and it's perfectly reasonable to expect to get there yourself. Afterall that's why we all got the band, right?

Bloating and flatulence is often caused by high sugar/high processed carbohydrate intake.

"Fermentation in the bowel" is how the old natural practitioners labeled it. And high pH level in the stomach slowed the digestion of Protein, which resulted in putrifaction and more gas.

Depending on how packed our lower GI tract is, will affect how long it takes to eliminate.

Some people respond well to a short course of colonic irrigation.

There is an absolute ton of reading material available to help guide you. Naturopaths typically have a lot to offer in such complaints.