Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder Pain After Hernia Repair

I am looking for people who have had the shoulder pain from Hernia repair.

This is not gas ,but a pain associated with the stitches taken in the diaphragm.

It has been awful the last couple of days. I know when people have had problems they post them. I would like to find people who have had this problem and they had it resolve. How long did it take?

I am 7 day post surgery and it feels like I have a pinched nerve.

I had the hernia repair as well, and I was banded on 2/18/11. For me, the pain lasted for about a week, but the shoulder pain was on and off for about another week. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out, and I haven't had any issues for at least the last week with that particular pain. The worst part of the hernia repair was the inability to catch my breath. If felt like I couldn't breath for almost a week. The hernia repair was definitely the worst part of the surgery!

I am looking for people who have had the shoulder pain from Hernia repair.

This is not gas ,but a pain associated with the stitches taken in the diaphragm.

It has been awful the last couple of days. I know when people have had problems they post them. I would like to find people who have had this problem and they had it resolve. How long did it take?

I am 7 day post surgery and it feels like I have a pinched nerve.

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my lapband surgery as well. I also had severe left shoulder pain that lasted for months. I don't know if it was from the hernia repair, the lapband, or both. I don't know if the pain went away from general healing, from weightloss, or both. I feel for you. It took months for my phrenic nerve pain to go away. At about 20 months post-op I still get a twinges of left shoulder pain now and then. When it was really bad the only thing I found that helped was putting a pain patch on the tip of my shoulder in the evening and wearing it overnight. I used over the counter equate menthol pain Patches from Walmart. They did not take all the pain away , but helped enough to get me through.

Thanks for the Posts. Yesterday was the worst day/night yet.

A heating pad that's hot and laying flat helps.

The muscle is sore today from rubbing it all day/night yesterday.

Today I feel fine.....hope it stays that way. I can't figure what

makes it start. PLEASE don't tell me eating. I've done so little of it and am looking forward to the "Mushie" stage next week.

Thanks for your support.

Missy

Off for my walk!rolleyes.gif

I hate to tell you, but yes, eating makes it come back sometimes. It was my "full signal" for a very long time. Just go very slow and when you start feeling it in the shoulder you may need to stop eating for a bit.

Ohhh that's exactly what I am having. I had a lot of shoulder pain after my sleeve and hernia repair that last for about a week. Today, at 2 weeks post op, the pain cameback after i had a Soup for dinner. It must also be my full sign, but I didn't know to stop eating when i first felt. Heck it hurts a lot now

I had hiatal hernia repair with the Linx procedure for acid reflux and have been trying to find out more about this shoulder pain that is apparently associated with the phrenic nerve. I am one week post op and the shoulder pain is my number one concern. I thought it was related to gas and may well be, so I walked and walked which seemed to help some. The ONE thing that helped more than anything else was my sister would massage, rub, and pat the area below the dowagers hump. After reading some it appears the phrenic nerve is associated with C3, C4, and C5 which then made sense about her massage helping. Heat on the shoulder and across the back feels good and sometimes relieves the pain. Just wanted to share the massage in case it could give someone a little relief. For me I am more concerned at this point as to what is causing the pain and if it will be short lived or long term. I need to eat and drink for scar tissue maintenance ( swallow food once an hour )and health obviously but it makes me so bloated and then here comes the pain. Any feedback welcomed.

Hey everyone just wondering what the outcomes were with the shoulder pain? I am eight weeks out from a hernia repair and VSG and I am continuing to have shoulder pain when I eat or drink more than 2-3 oz. My doctor ordered a CT scan to check on things as it seems to be getting worse over time instead of better. Are you guys still having shoulder pain or did it resolve?

I had VSG & hernia repair on July 10th. I thought the shoulder pain was from gas too. It shoots through my left shoulder and goes up the side of my neck. I have noticed it gets worse the more I drink. It hurts so bad at times I want to cry....and I have a high tolerance for pain. I mentioned it to my doctor today, it he didn't seem to overly concerned. How do you get some relief from the pain????

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I stop as soon as I get the slightest twinge and wait 20 minutes to try again. Take very small sips and tiny bites and chew lots. My CT scan shows there might be a piece of the old band left in there but they are not sure. It can be somewhat normal for a while after a hernia repair.

Lap band 2009
Sw 200/lw 161
Sleeve revision 17 May/17
Sw 217 CW 193

I had gastric sleeve on Jan 23'Dr said repaired hiatal hernia.my left shoulder is killing me..this hurts more than occasional cough does.it is in middle of night I massage..not helping

This will get better. Mine hurt terribly for weeks to the point I couldn’t even sip Water without pain. Now it is 100% better with only the occasional twinge if I eat too much. Heat help but chewing really really well, eating slowly and stopping eArly helps the most. I understand it’s some nerve entrapment and takes time to heal. It’s can also be a sign of a leak if it’s constant so request a CT well after surgery but 2 days post op it’s totally normal from gas. I had a CT done and no leak but they did leave a piece of my old lap and tubing behind so needed to have that removed later. It was Not the cause of my shoulder d pain but better safe than sorrry. I’m told it’s not uncommon with a hernia repair and does get better over time. I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Sunnymommy
Left out info

I had the same shoulder pains I thought it was gas. I aso had the band removed and some scare tissue from the band, hernia repair and sleeve. After relief from that pain I got bronchitis. I'm better now. I'm 4 weeks post op, but it has been really been rough! I'M down 30lbs

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I had sleeve and hernia repair. The shoulder pain was the worst part...but it wasn't too bad.

Tylenol helps. And heat pads. But mostly tincture of time.

I'm 8 weeks post op...no pain anymore.

Good luck, everyone.

so glad to know I'm not alone! Thus pain is killing my rear right shoulder! It just started happening tonight after I ate my first decent size meal since curing my Hernia.