Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the fattest one here?

I am hoping that the band really works for me (with me) because i will not have RNY or Sleeve or any of that. if i can't lose weight this way, then that is just a sign that i'm supposed to be fat! i am going to try to do my part to eat healthy but i am really hoping that the band helps with my apatite issues. i could just eat all the time. I am already finding that whilst i am on the the 2 week liquid diet that i am not really hungry. i figured i would be miserable. so far, my only misery has been...ummmm tmi, but going to the bathroom. anyway, your surgery is just a few days after mine, so good luck to you and i'm glad there is more than just one of us who have a lot to lose. it can get kind of discouraging for me to read all the posts from people whose starting weight is my goal weight. :P

I always do that when I go into a room - I determine if I am the fattest one there. I always am. I am 67 years old, with high blood pressure, sleep apnea etc andI started this venture at 386. I was scrambling to not hit 400. I had to reduce my BMI to 60 for the laproscopic procedure. The doctor warned me that if the liver was to big and fatty they may have to just close me back up. I did Water aerobics 2 hours a day (I cannot walk) stayed on 1000 calories a day and by 11 months I finally squeeked under the 60 BMI weighing in at 345 I think it was. I had surgery on the 11th of April. It was a breeze. No complications whatsoever. Doctor was surprised my liver was so small. I wasn't, I felt starved the whole time - still do. I'm 2 weeks out from surgery tomorrow and still on liquids. I have always had such a hard time losing weight I fear I will plateau with this too - afraid to get on the scales. I go for first post op check in 2 more weeks. They will weigh be then. I think I am glad I had lapband although I saw people losing more with other procedures but if we have to eat the same no matter the procedure the less invasive option seemed best for me. I just hope it works. It seems my body adapts to whatever calories I give it and the scales stay stuck from then on.

i just read through most of the thread on 'what BMI is too large to be banded" and I have to say, while there were some encouraging posts in there, I only saw posts from people who had like a BMI of 55 or so. I have a BMI of more than 60. My handy BMI wheel they gave me doesn't go past 60.....anyway, RNY and the sleeve are NOT an option for me. I mentally just can't cut something up. The band seems more my style. I like the idea of it being reversible if weight loss doesn't happen...but I am afraid that I am too large and it's not going to work for me at all.

I haven't yet had my consult, that isn't happening until mid-April, but I was hoping that there were other people out there who not only had more than just 200 pounds to lose but were successful at keeping some of it off. I am not looking to get skinny. i would be the happiest person on the earth if i weighted 250-275 pounds. right now, that seems like a far off dream....

also, i am not interested in losing weight really super fast, i know this is a slow and steady wins the race kinda thing, so i am mentally prepared. I am more curious if i could feel restriction at my size at all.

anyway, just thought i would ask. thanks in advance for your calming words of wisdom

I know several people who have had RNY, every single one of them, with the exception of 1, has gained all of their weight back, plus some. the 1 who hasn't gained it back became a drug addict, so i suppose the meth and heroine keeps her body smaller since she almost never eats. even she gained back 60 pounds while doing drugs. it is my hope that with the band i can at least re-learn how to eat. with RNY, you have no choice, but eventually, the stomach can be stretched right back out. the band is adjustable, so that i what i like about it. also, if it just doesn't work, it is removable. that's a huge plus for me. less invasive, removable, and can help me re-train myself how to eat normal portions (i hope). i really think that my best chance for success is the band. i hope that it's your best chance also.

it's not too late. my BMI was above 60 too. thanks to this 2 week liquid pre-op diet, i am in the upper 50's now, so you'll have that to look forward to.

my surgery is next week....OMG NEXT WEEK>>>>STARTING TO FREAK OUT...ok, calm down, my surgery is next week and after reading a lot of pages on this forum i feel more confident now and not as scared and I know there are others who were as large as i am who have been successful. I can do it!

thanks for your replies, all of you.

I hope my surgeon finds my surgery easy too. I have not cheated at all on this liver reduction diet, even though the desire was strong...especially with Easter thrown in there. but I stuck to my guns. I just have to get through today and tomorrow. Hopefully I have lost enough that he will still do the surgery. I'd hate for him to get in there and then decide that my liver isn't small enough and just refuse to do it. I don't think i could do this diet for another 2 weeks.

I know this thread is a little old but I would like to thank everyone who contributed. I went to the initial seminar Sept 6 and have my first appt Oct 12. I was worried that maybe I was too big for the lapband. I am 5'7 and weigh 480. Thankfully no health issues other than sleep apnea and a touch of arthritis in the knees. Hopefully I can get some weight off before the rest of me falls apart at 44 years old.

thanks

Hi Jim, you are going to do just fine. I have lost about 65 pounds so far and I feel amazing. It hasn't been as daunting of a journey (so far) as I thought it would be. The most difficult part was the 2 week pre-op liquid phase....then of course the 1st week after surgery. But so far, I am doing great.

I still haven't had a fill and I hope that I don't ever have to have one. Since you are at 480, you will be amazed at how fast the weight will drop for you. The larger you are, the more you lose quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you drop 20 pounds in the first 2 weeks on the liquid diet. You will be in the 300s before you know it.

good luck and please keep us posted.

Hi Jim, you are going to do just fine. I have lost about 65 pounds so far and I feel amazing. It hasn't been as daunting of a journey (so far) as I thought it would be. The most difficult part was the 2 week pre-op liquid phase....then of course the 1st week after surgery. But so far, I am doing great.

I still haven't had a fill and I hope that I don't ever have to have one. Since you are at 480, you will be amazed at how fast the weight will drop for you. The larger you are, the more you lose quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you drop 20 pounds in the first 2 weeks on the liquid diet. You will be in the 300s before you know it.

good luck and please keep us posted.

Dibley Dawn is right about us heavyweights loosing pounds fast and men loose faster than women. I was 390 lbs at 5'3" when I started my liver reduction diet. I was type II with sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I lost almost 30 lbs before my surgery. I continued to loose about 12 to 15 lbs a month. I am going on 8 months since surgery and I am down a total of 127 lbs and I lost it with very little effort. My blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure are all normal with no medication. The weight loss has slowed in the last 2 months so I am going to have to ramp up my exercise a bit. Still the way I feel if I never lost another pound it was worth it.

hi i had my opp done 7th april this year and my bmi was well over 60 and i am doing well i have lost 5 and a half stone so far..

I find myself here wishing this thread wasn't so old. Could use the encouragement, haha. So, here's the scoop: I have a BMI of 82 and at 24yrs old I weigh 511lbs. My doctor at NWWLS in Everett, WA (Dr. Michaelson) has put me on the typical pre-surgery diet, only its 60 days instead of the typical 7-14 days. Im to do 3-4 awful Protein Drinks a day and one solid Lean Cuisine type meal a day. My final prep appointment is May 10th and can pretty much do surgery anytime once I've lost 60 pounds...So technically I may not have to hold out the entire 60 days. Have any of you had to do this pre-op? Even if it wasn't as long, how much was lost in your time spent doing it? I realize its very individual, but from your experience could someone my size be able to lose 60 pounds in less than 60 days?? :/

I find myself here wishing this thread wasn't so old. Could use the encouragement, haha. So, here's the scoop: I have a BMI of 82 and at 24yrs old I weigh 511lbs. My doctor at NWWLS in Everett, WA (Dr. Michaelson) has put me on the typical pre-surgery diet, only its 60 days instead of the typical 7-14 days. Im to do 3-4 awful Protein drinks a day and one solid Lean Cuisine type meal a day. My final prep appointment is May 10th and can pretty much do surgery anytime once I've lost 60 pounds...So technically I may not have to hold out the entire 60 days. Have any of you had to do this pre-op? Even if it wasn't as long, how much was lost in your time spent doing it? I realize its very individual, but from your experience could someone my size be able to lose 60 pounds in less than 60 days?? :/

Hi there and welcome to LBT!! I do believe 60 in 60 is achievable given your current size. As long as you are true to the diet I think you will see the weight pour off. Given your size I think you will be surprised how quickly weight can drop, As for your protien drinks how are you making them? There are ways you can spruce the drinks so the taste is better. I use Body Fortress you can get it at Walmart and I take a scoop of powder along with 1% milk and little bit of ice and some banana and I make a smoothy out of it. It tastes very good. I also mix it up from time to time and use blueberries. Experiment with it and find what works for you. I also use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand choclate and again just 8oz 1% milk and a little ice and blend it out to nice choclate shake.

I want you to know you are not alone in this journey. This is an excellent resource and the folks here are great. Be sure to stop in at the introduction forum and say hello if you hadn't already.

Good luck Jim

Hey, I agree with what Jim above said. You will be under 500 pounds probably after the first 3 or 4 days of that diet and then you will be amazed at how fast that weight comes off. the heavier you are, the faster the weight will drop in the beginning. You can totally do this.

As far as Protein drinks go, I used (and still supplement today) with Muscle Milk Light and Glucerna. To me, the chocolate Glucerna is sooooo delicious and tastes like a treat. I tried a few other Protein Drinks (not the powders that Jim has tried) but others like Special K and another one that I don't remember and they were so chalky and gross that I thought I would die.

you really have to experiment and find what works for you. I know you can do it and even though this thread is old, we are still around to encourage you :) This community is wonderful and has helped me through many, many struggles by just reading some of the posts. We are here for you.

I had a hard time finding a Protein drink that I "liked" So I bought several of the sf syrups and make different combinations to hide the flavor of the Protein Powder. Here are my 3 favorites.

Iced caramel coffee 150cal/20protein/4carbs

1/2 oz sf caramel Syrup

1/2 oz sf vanilla syrup

3 oz skim milk

4 oz favorite coffee (mine is keurig butter toffee)

1 scoop Protein

Blenerize with lots of ice

pumpkin Pie 150 cal/ 20 protein/ 6carbs

1 oz sf pumpkin pie syrup OR vanilla

2 oz pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

1 tbs sf/ff french vanilla pudding

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (maybe a little more if you used the sf vanilla)

4-5 oz skim milk

1 scoop proein

Blenderize with a few ice cubes

Hawiian Island 160 cal/20protein/8 carbs

1/2 oz coconut sf syrup

1/2 oz pineapple sf syrup

1 serving del monte sf pineapple with juice

1 tbs french vanilla pudding

4 oz skim milk

1 scoop protein

Blenderize with a lot of ice

Yay! You guys are so awesome!! I'm seriously going to look into allll of these suggestions! Just after day ONE I was so discouraged I really began questioning if I could really do it! But I realize that its not the hunger, its the taste!! I mean, the hunger is part of it, but if I can't get down the whole thing Im obviously gonna feel hungry. I really can't wait to get to the point where this is routine. I know it'll always be in the back of my mind, but right now its front and center most of my waking moments...It just feels sick to me and depressing to have my every thought revolve around this addiction. I made a joke to a friend yesterday and it's so true: "I think this is what a crack addict feels like when they detox!!"