Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any old timers still around?

"Wow, I HAVE been gone a while. I never knew. Hey Jack! " ......surgery is our friend....HAR!!!!! I've got belly beasts, don't know the tie in with being 'female'.... every day is something new & exciting... I've been getting a tiny fill in the last year.....so far the only change is I PB a lot more..... we'll see about the last damn 35#.....I'd like to make it to size 40 pants in this life time!!! Haven't worn that size since sometime around Eisenhower.....

don't know the tie in with being 'female'....

"Gender: Female" on your info. ??? I wondered what I missed. blink.gif

every day is something new & exciting... I've been getting a tiny fill in the last year.....so far the only change is I PB a lot more..... we'll see about the last damn 35#.....I'd like to make it to size 40 pants in this life time!!! Haven't worn that size since sometime around Eisenhower.....

I *should* need a fill but every time I PB I'm reminded what a bad idea that is. I'd be on liquids for sure. Almost 6 years banded I'm not interested in a post-op diet. I'm so proud you only have that last damn 35#. You have always been an inspiration and a great success story. Well done. tea.gif

LBT has the best emoticons.

It has been a few years, just seeing who might still be around from the good ol' days.

Does 2 years make me an "old timer"

"Does 2 years make me an "old timer" .....well.....that's FOURTEEN in dog years!!! How much of an "old timer" do you want to feel? HAR!!!

Hello everyone!

Never thought I would be considered an 'old timer' LOL! I haven't been on here in so long! This was a good time to get back to say hi.

I am doing fine. Have gained and lost the same last 20 pounds a few times, but overall, I can live with that! It could be much worse that's for sure! There are times that I come across an item of clothing still hanging around from before the Band. It simply amazes me how far I've come! I've had my share of troubles with the Band, but I don't regret a single thing. I still have work to do...never did make it all the way to goal, but darn close!! I will get there some day, I'm being lazy.

Hope all of you are doing well!!!

~Carol

Cardshark,

aren't you on sleevetalk too? Anyway, if you're not go to verticalsleevetalk.com the sister of this site.

There are a lot of us band to sleeve revisions over there.

Nope no, side effects. Just small portions of anything I want!

Its good to see that a number of you have been successful.

Its been 3 years for me, 6 fills and I weigh 5 lbs less than I did when I started

I have restriction for the first bite or 2 of food and then the restriction goes away completly and I can eat anything. If I don't watch the first 2 bites I usually slime but after that -- anything goes.

Needless to say I am not happy with lap bands and am quite vocal about it to anyone who mentions lapbands.

Yes, it works for some people, but it doesn't for everyone. I wonder what the percentages are?

If I had it to do all over -- I wouldn't

I totally feel the same way!!! I also suffer from chronic Constipation and can eat anything and everything. It seems like the healthier I eat, the worse I feel. I guess some of us are just meant to be fat.

re: .";Yes, it works for some people, but it doesn't for everyone. I wonder what the percentages are? ";

I don't know of anything in this Vale of Tears that does work for everyone.

re: "I guess some of us are just meant to be fat.";

I don't believe that. That's what I did believe when I weighed 373....since I was literally going blind due to a variety of conditions resultant from Morbid Obesity, I had to make serious changes in both my beliefs and my behavior.

Or die blind.

I guess there are no easy roads no matter how you look at it when you battle morbid obesity.

Whether you are looking at lapband, R&Y, sleeve, traditional diet and exercise . . . it works anywhere between perfectly to going horribly wrong. Even the option of doing nothing and resigning yourself to staying obese is an exceedingly tough road to follow. I have seen people living relatively happy and fulfilling lives with all of these options and I have seen people fail.

I personally don't feel that some of us are just meant to be fat. We all have different struggles which helps to make us who we are. When we give up the struggle, we give up living our lives fully. If there is a situation in your life that makes you unhappy, the worst thing you can do is just allow it to continue. Any steps in the right direction, no matter how small, are steps to help you develop into a better person emotionally, psychologically and, last but not least, physically.

I remember before getting banded, the risk of complications seemed so low as to be insignificant and highly unlikely . . . yet I am one of the very small percentage who had a major complication that put me in the hospital for a week. There were definitely times I have felt regret for my decision but on the whole I am happier for deciding to move forward. I don't regret that I made the decision to be healthier using the best means available to me at the time.

All we can do is make the best decisions we can and do our bests to continue on the road to better health by whatever means are necessary.

I am still alive! And trust me, that is saying something. I was Banded March 2007, I was going to go for the RNY but changed my mind. I am so grateful that I did. April 6, 2009 I was diagnosed with Non Small Cell Lung Cancer Stage 3 A. Being able to be unfilled and able to take the meds that I needed, not to mention being able to eat what I could is what kept me alive. Granted, I put on 50 lbs during chemo and radiation. Some from food choices, but most was from going totally inactive. My oncologist tells me that it is going to be a long haul to get back to normal. I have not given up and I keep trying every day. One day I will be back to my old active self. I have started to get filled again and I have lost about 15 of the 50 that I put on. Since I am missing most of my lung, walking is about the only exercise I can do, so it is a good thing I love it so much. Hoping this spring/summer will see me back to at least 75-80% normal. I do believe in my heart and soul that if I would have gotten the RNY, I would not be here today. I was given less than a 15% chance of making it and this April will be my 2 year anniversary for kicking cancers ass!! So all is good in my world. Think when I get off here, I am going to make an appointment for a fill.

My favorite quote is - Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”

So have courage and never give up!!

Brightest of blessings,

Barb,

Your post has inspired me. I am SO happy for you that things are going so much better and congratulations on nearing the 2 year mark. That is SO awesome. I just had to say hello and that I appreciate your post. I also love your quote.

Lisa

re: "Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” " What a GREAT quote!! Thanks!!!

I don’t think I’m an old timer, maybe a mid timer. I was banded February 2009 and by October 2009 I had reached my goal weight. This site was a daily (hourly) habit in the first year and has tapered off since my interests and priorities have changed. Back then, everything was about how the band made me feel and my weight loss. After reaching goal weight, my focus has shifted to fitness and healthy living. I have maintained my weight (maybe actually gained 5-10 pounds of muscle). I spend 4-5 days a week doing some sort of physical fitness and run a half marathon or Triathlon at least once a month.

I don't think I'm an old timer, maybe a mid timer. I was banded February 2009 and by October 2009 I had reached my goal weight. This site was a daily (hourly) habit in the first year and has tapered off since my interests and priorities have changed. Back then, everything was about how the band made me feel and my weight loss. After reaching goal weight, my focus has shifted to fitness and healthy living. I have maintained my weight (maybe actually gained 5-10 pounds of muscle). I spend 4-5 days a week doing some sort of physical fitness and run a half marathon or Triathlon at least once a month.

Have been a bit timid about posting on the "old timers" thread. Guess I am in the same boat as Kartman....maybe could be considered a mid-timer. Let me clarify...In human years, I would be considered an "old timer"...agewise...55 yrs old. (In dog years, I'd be in an urn on the mantel). But, with the help of the Lapband, I can honestly say that I could run circles around any 19 year old. I have had the ideal Lapband experience.

I was banded on June 17, 2008. I worked REALLY hard to prepare myself for this life change. I researched three years prior to actually going to the initial Lapband seminar. My biggest fear was waking up from surgery and feeling as if the rug had been yanked out from under me. I decided that in order for this to work for me that 8 months prior to surgery I would religiously stick to eating like a lapband person. It truly prepared me for what was to come.

I was able to lose 52lbs prior to going under the knife and felt so prepared for the challenges ahead of me. My highest weight was 249lbs. I had a "moom shaped" face and my body was a true apple shape. (Take a look at my gallery photos...OMG....I still have a tough time looking at them). My mid-section was blown up like a nickel balloon. Skinny arms and legs but the fat around my middle was killing me. I was able to reach my personal goal of 136lbs on Oct. 15, 2008....without starving. I never missed a meal. Not very big meals but ate every couple of hours. Without trying, I dropped another 20lbs or so and have stayed at the same weight for over 2 yrs. My daily caloric intake averages 2500 calories. Lucky girl. My LP doc and his staff were such a huge support system as was my DH. I can count on one and a half hands how many times I have PB'd throughout this journey....and usually those incidents were self-induced by not chewing. No acid reflux after living with extreme acid for 15 yrs prior to LB surgery (one huge hiatal hernia (sp?). I guess I can say I am one of the lucky ones and I thank some higher power for being gifted with this second chance at life. I cannot say for sure but I wonder if I would have stayed on that self-destructive path, that I would be here today to share.

I am now starting a new journey. Just submitted photos, etc. to my LB doc's office to start the process to get rid of my panni. Waited a little more than 2 yrs to see how "things" were hangin' and decided that I need to complete this journey. Wish me luck.

Sooooo very nice to see all of you come back on and post on how you are doing. I recognize most of the "names" and have to tell you that most of you were very influential and I looked up to you.

Good to be back on here! I'm doing well. I lost about 140 pounds in the first year and have pretty much maintained over the last 20ish months. I have 5 pounds that I go up and down pretty consistently, but I feel like that's normal. It's good to see so many people back here. It's hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since I started this journey. Best decision I ever made by far :) Have a great evening everyone!

:)

Jennifer