Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get another fill?

I've had two fills since being banded in December. I'm currently at 7.2cc in a 14cc band. I feel some restriction, some of the time. I can still eat anything, and can easily over eat. I only get stuck if I take large bites, eat too fast, and/or if I don't chew thoroughly. I get hungry after three or four hours, but if I eat something small that often, I don't ever get truly hungry. My weight loss is erratic, where I'll go a week or more without losing anything, then I'll drop a pound or two in one day. I had my last fill February 14th, and I've lost only about five pounds since then, but I haven't lost anything in over a week.

I have my "100 Days Since Banding" appointment in three days. I'm scheduled for my third fill that day, if I need it. It's a two hour drive to my surgeon's office from my home, and I need to take the day off work to go there, so I want to make it worthwhile. The question I have is, "Do I need that fill?" I'm thinking maybe a small one, like .5cc or so? Most people I've read about say they find they're at good restriction at around 8cc or so in a 14cc band. I know everyone is different, but I'd appreciate some experienced bandster advice. What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave

ahhh it gets tricky at this point.... do you not get a fill and not lose weight or run the risk of being over-filled?

if i were in your shoes, and i have been because my surgeon is 4 hours away, i'd go to the appointment and let your doctor decide.

It sounds to me like you could use a fill. How much you need in your band varies from person-to-person so I never pay attention to how many cc's I have compared to someone else. I just pay attention to my current restriction level. The two indicators are, Are you satisfied on small meals without getting hungry before the next meal? Are you losing weight/not gaining? If you say no to one of these then it is time for a fill. I would get a fill, probably just a slight one but guage it by drinking Water to see if it goes down not by cc's in the band; water should go down slowly but go down and stay down. And because you have to travel so far, after you leave the office hang out for a while sip a little more water and wait until you are sure you are ok before traveling two hours back home. Wouldn't want to be overfilled, that is miserable and would be even worse with such a long travel distance.

I have a 14cc band and i currently have 10.5 cc in it. sometimes I feel good restriction and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure why. for me personally 7.2 cc was like I didnt have a band. I could eat as much and as fast as I wanted. now I have to eat slow and much much smaller portions. I'd say you need a fill.

I also have about 10.2cc in a 13cc band. I feel like that should make me not hungry at all! and i still can eat everything, only thing that seems to get stuck is celery.

I have a 14cc band and i currently have 10.5 cc in it. sometimes I feel good restriction and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure why. for me personally 7.2 cc was like I didnt have a band. I could eat as much and as fast as I wanted. now I have to eat slow and much much smaller portions. I'd say you need a fill.

Honestly I would wait. If you get filled to quickly what happens when there is nothing left to fill. I would say wait it out for a little while. Once you are completely filled there is nothing to work with and then if you dont lose your stuck with a full band and nothing else to do. Three times in three months is too much.