Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running shoes

Getting ready to start Couch to 5k this week. My hubby insists that I need to get a good pair of running shoes. I have been researching them online and still have no idea which one's I should get.

Any suggestions ?:blink:

I run 5-7 miles several times a week and just received a pair of Mizunos for my birthday. They are supposed to be great running shoes. I just ran 5 miles with them yesterday and definitely felt a difference from my old pair. They are pricy but well worth it. Here is the link to the paid I have. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/MIZ705/

I too am doing the C25K and have new balance running shoes. I love them. However, you should probably try several brands before deciding, make sure you go to a store where they fit you (not a department store) and you can wear them around the store until you feel you have a good idea of how they will work for you.

In my other journeys thru weight loss and with this one as well, I always wear Asics! There are many different styles and prices. You just have to find what you think feels the best. Would definitely go somewhere that you can try on several different styles and brands.:rolleyes:

I like Nike Shox and Asics.

Find the local running store and have them fit you. You should be prepared to spend an hour there and to jog a little outside, around the building before you buy. They are the only equipment you need for running so they should be the best you can find. I find them for $89-100 when I go. And don't worry about being a novice runners the people in there are so psyched you're trying their sport they'll encourage you all the way.

Go and get fitted, and have your gait analysed (any good sports shoe store should do this for you). Its the only way to have any idea of where to start.

I am on my 8th pair of Brooks Adrenalines over a 5 year period. I have broad feet and slighty inward rolling and these shoes are FANTASTIC for me. I dont even look at anything else, now I buy them online from the US (much cheaper, got my last pair for $89 off eastbay.com v $259 in the stores here) as we've pretty much got parity with the US dollar at the moment. I run lots of miles so need a new pair every 6 to 9 months.

I agree 100% that a local running store is the way to go--not a department store, not a shoe store, not even a Foot Locker, Finish Line or the like! It looks like Running, Etc. and Final Kick Sports might be good ones to look at in your area.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I plan to go by our local Running store and get fitting. At first I was going to just go to the NEX , but I guss I better do this right and go get fitted like you all said.

Another question: did you notice a mark change in you body after you started running ?

for me, running is the absolute best exercise for weight loss. i've built up to doing about 5-7 miles, generally about 3-4 straight with a little walking break of about 1/4 to a 1/2 mile and then another 2-4. i can eat the exact same thing on two different days, one where i run and one where i do an alternate workout - jump rope, 30 day shred video, etc, and i always lose more the days i run.

i definitely feel stronger...i'm also supplementing with a fair amount of strength training since that's my weak point.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I plan to go by our local Running store and get fitting. At first I was going to just go to the NEX , but I guss I better do this right and go get fitted like you all said.

Another question: did you notice a mark change in you body after you started running ?

I had already gotten to a normal weight when I started back to running, but I have definitely noticed changes. Overall, I just look leaner, probably because of less body fat. At first my legs definitely lost inches all over, but in the last few months they have been changing even more; getting bigger in some areas, thinner in others, and are much more shapely with the enhanced muscles. My hips keep gradually shrinking, and my shoulders and upper back look nice and fit. Running has shrunk and firmed my butt, but hasn't really perked it up a lot--still flat! I only sporadically do cross-training, but arm, core, and butt exercises are what I do, plus I go walking, or ride my bike.

Getting ready to start Couch to 5k this week. My hubby insists that I need to get a good pair of running shoes. I have been researching them online and still have no idea which one's I should get.

Any suggestions ?:blink:

I like my Karhu Fulcrum running shoes. Like the "loud" colors too!

I'm another Asics fan back when I was normal weight and running. They always seemed to fit me best. But definitely go get fitted and try several different brands. It's amazing how they can all feel different even though they are the same size.

Okay, so I took you all's advice and went to get fitted at Running Etc...Great idea, they were very helpful.

Then went to our NEX and bought my shoes for almost half price. Went with the Mizuno Wave Creation 12....Oooh they feel so good.

Gonna start Coach to 5 k tomorrow. Wish me luck :D

congrats! i LOVE my mizunos!!!