Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the from couch to 5K regimen? There's a few different ones out there, but the one I found is supposed to have you ready in 9 weeks. It seems doable. I just have a problem with consistency! I am also pretty overweight so I feel self-conscious when running/jogging.

Should I lose more weight before I even consider it or just give it a go?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the from couch to 5K regimen? There's a few different ones out there, but the one I found is supposed to have you ready in 9 weeks. It seems doable. I just have a problem with consistency! I am also pretty overweight so I feel self-conscious when running/jogging.

Should I lose more weight before I even consider it or just give it a go?

Don't know your age, or general physical health. I imagine you have been over weight for some time.

My point is I would not want to see you drop dead from heart failure, or a stoke due to circulation issues.

Over weight people, as myself, have high fat content in their blood (triglycerides, cholesterol) This is the stuff that sticks to the insides of your arteries.

Because of being overweight I had it in way of a 70% blockage in one of my heart arteries, requiring a stent. I didn't have a heart attack, but was a walking tine bomb.

I'm 59 y/o, and looking forward to running a 5K. I'll get there in due time.

Speak with your GP before doing any new exercise programs.

sorry I should have included in the initial post that i am 23 y/o...and other than being obese, i am in great physical health (no BP issues, diabetes, cholesterol, etc.)...two years ago i was about 45 lbs lighter than i am now and was able to run.jog a couple miles, but that was def over time. GP..general practitioner? I don't really have one..i guess i can talk w/ the nurse who will do my fill this week

Go for it!!!! I am in training for my 3rd half marathon ( running ) I'm not fast but I finish!! I have not updated my stats for a while but I am 2 years out and weigh 210. Just start off slow and worse case scenario you stop jogging and walk some.. Or maybe you jog some Some/ walk some... Crossing that finish line will make you feel like you're on top of the world.. Don't try to keep up with others, set your own pace. You can do it!!!! Don't ever feel self conscious.. All eyes are on you because people are proud not making fun of you!!!

I don't check the boards often so if you ever want to talk send me a message and I'll send you my personal email!!!

Couch to 5K is great! I was a runner before I gained weight, but after my weight loss I used C25K to start again. After finishing up that program, I trained for and ran a half marathon in January, and am registered to run the Chicago Marathon in October. However, I was very consistent in the training runs for C25K; regularly running/walking is key to building yourself up to continuously running three to four miles. Plus, I didn't start the program until I had exceeded my initial goal (150lbs) as I didn't want to risk bringing back previous foot/ankle/knee pain. However, I know many people who begin running when they are overweight and even obese, and some even run marathons at their weight. Pay attention to your body and how it feels; some muscle pain and soreness is to be expected with training, but running through an injury, especially with a lot of extra weight, can cause a lot of damage. Starting out slowly with something like C25K is a great way to acclimate your body to running!

I'm looking forward to using the couch to 5k program as well. But like L12 said I want to wait until I'm a lot less heavy than I am now. I was a runner before too and did a bunch of 5Ks and the Atlanta Peachtree Road Race. But I've some issues with my feet, knees and back so I'm going to have to ease back into it after losing some weight. But at 23 and not so severely obese I would go for it. Just make sure you've got good shoes, really can't stress that enough, but I'm anal about my shoes because of all my foot issues.

I downloaded the app and when I first tried I could not complete it. I have joined the gym and walking on the treadmill for the past month and recently tried it again. I did finish wk 1 day 1 but it was hard. I have trouble with breathing while running but I have improved immensely in the past month. I am determined to do a 5k hopefully by this fall. I am going to give it another month before trying the app again. I am walking/jogging 2 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill. Hopefully in a month I will have my breathing a little more under control and be able to do it. I just turned 36 and have basically been sedentary for the past 5 years with tons of health problems and I have never been a runner. I currently weigh 229 and was banded 3 months ago.

I think you can do it, just listen to your body and if you can't run at all the ques just repeat that day or week until you can. It may take you longer than 9 weeks to complete it but I'm sure once you do you will feel great about it. Also I have not had any feet, back, or knee problems. If those bother you then you may want to wait until you lose more before starting and good shoes are a must.

Good luck to you!!

right there with you tnt. I started it right after my release date from surgery ~ the end of August 2010. It took til close to the end of October mid November before I could complete W1D1 and then it got so cold I have not been able to start back. Of course that was about 80 lbs ago too. I am interested in seeing how i can do when it warms up a bit more.

Last year I could not run on the treadmill.. I was afraid of falling off.

Now I can, not for very long, but I can.

I was starting the c25k for the treadmill.. when I fell off a step during bootcamp on 3/4, and strained/sprained my ankle. I had already registered for 2 races, one on 3/19 and another on 3/26. I'll just run what I can of them and walk the rest. Probably wear an acewrap on that ankle too. (I know it's not broken..had an xray & it doesn't hurt THAT bad).

btw: I'm 53, been obese for many years and my cholesterol is wonderful. My doc's say my levels are to be envied.

I love the couch to 5k but I have to admit I have never completed it. I have never been a runner but use the treadmill often.

I like how it builds you up to being able to run longer, I just hope one day I'll actually be able to complete it. I am going to try starting it again in a few weeks after my next surgery.

After I had lost 50 pounds I started C25K. I tried for 4 months and I just couldn't do it. I am 54 and I can tell you that 30 years of being a couch potato had taken it's toll. I was just too out of shape. So, I hired a personal trainer and within 4 months she had me running a 5K. Ok, it was slow at 46 minutes but I jogged the whole way. My point is, if you are having too much touble doing the program don't give up! Maybe you are like me and you need to build up your fitness first. My trainer worked me on circuits where I ran laps mixed with weights. Obviously she knew what she was doing and I am grateful for her help.

I'm a 24y/o and I've downloaded the C25K android app to my phone as well. My surgery isn't until April 21st, and I haven't even "tried" the app, maybe I will before hand... but the C25K is something I DEFINITELY want to accomplish!

I just started the Coach to 5k on Sunday. So, far I am doing okay. I am very motivated to see some real fat loss..makes me keep on going when I am tired. Surprising, I can actually breath and have not experienced any shortness of breath.

I also took some advice and invested in a great pair of sneakers, my feet actually feel good when I get done.

Glad I found this post. What apps are people using? I want to give this a try. I know I will need to start very slow though. I am just over 200 lbs but my biggest issue is lung capacity and flat feet. I have a dr's appt next week to see what's going on with my feet. They hurt so bad that sometimes it hurts to just walk.

I went to the gym last night for the first time in way too long and was able to do 25min on an eliptical machine. I didn't go all that fast but at least I didn't want to die when I was done.

Let me know what app people are using. I downloaded one but there is no music, just peeps. It bored the heck out of me. I just got a droid phone and need to figure out how to put music ont it.

Good luck to all.

Small step every day will add up...we can do this!!!

Ally

This was recently posted over on OH.....

By Molly Baker

Counting your calories? Cooking healthier meals? Mapping out your next daily run?

There are apps for that.

Journal Report

In fact, of the more than 400,000 software applications out there for smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices, at least 10,000 aim to help with diet and exercise.

We tested dozens of the most popular apps under the general heading of health and fitness. If you're trying to get in shape, or stay that way, here are some of the best.

Article continues at link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703961104576148732585957902.html?mod=dist_smartbrief