Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 wks after banding and my appetite is out of control!!

I received my lap band 2 weeks ago. At first all I drank was Protein Shakes. Between pre and po op I lost 22 pounds in 3 weeks! But this last week I've started adding cream Soups and ice cream because I felt like I was starving. Now I've regained about 5 pounds in 5 days!!! I have to wait till 5 weeks post op for my first fill. At this rate I'll regain everything I lost! Is this normal? Help what can I do? My appetite is like a monster back from the dead!

I received my lap band 2 weeks ago. At first all I drank was Protein shakes. Between pre and po op I lost 22 pounds in 3 weeks! But this last week I've started adding cream Soups and ice cream because I felt like I was starving. Now I've regained about 5 pounds in 5 days!!! I have to wait till 5 weeks post op for my first fill. At this rate I'll regain everything I lost! Is this normal? Help what can I do? My appetite is like a monster back from the dead!

I think u have to stop eating food with sugar and fat. Don't regain the weight u have already lost. I think u can keep another week on blended boiled vegetables. you can also blend some low fat biscuits with low fat milk ; another choice, blend a banana with some low fat milk.

Take care of yourself dear.

Good Luck

I am told this is normal and that after your fill it will get better. Not sure ice cream is a good choice. Have yu done cream of wheat or oatmeal? Those tended to stick with me a little longer. And so did whipped sweet potato and cottage cheese. If you add unflavred Protein Powder to your Soups etc it can help it stay with you longer.I am 3 weeks out so I can tell you that now that I am back on regular food per my docs diet plan I am full longer ad only wantto eat every 6 hrs or so. Oh and eggs are a good food choice too and are pretty soft and easy to eat. Hope Thi helps. Stick with it and don't lose hope.

Remember, most people need fills (sometimes man) before the hunger goes away. It could be months before the band kicks in. In the meantime, start controlling your eating habits now because even when the band is working, it won't control what you eat or, most likely, even how much you can eat.

Most surgeons give band patients a postop diet that excludes sugar and often limits carbs. Reducing/eliminating both helps get rid of the cravings. You don't need to go cold turkey. You can reduce your carbs slowly. Start by excluding all sugar for one week. The second week eliminate anything made with wheat (bread, Pasta, etc.). The next week exclude all carbs except vegies. By the fourth week you can drop your carbs down to about 60. If you want to drop them further you want. I eat 30gm or less carbs per day.

I've been banded just over 2 weeks (Feb 16th), I too am starting to feel hungry and my next appointment isn't until March 29th. It's my understanding this is normal as the swelling has gone down. For the most part I've been able to stay on my post op diet, when I get really hungry I make a Protein shake and that helps me a lot or I find that if I take a walk that does the trick as well.

Good Luck to you...

Did you doctor give you a post op diet? At day 15 I was allowed to add low/non fat cottate cheese/ricotta. By creamy Soups do you mean Tomato, squash, or sweet red pepper? Or are you eating cream of mushroom/chicken? If the latter stop! My orders were to have a Soup as well as Protein (cottage cheese at that point). I would space them out so soup and then an hour later the protein. If you have to add an extra Tomato Soup that's only 100 cal for 1 cup of food. Having a low cal/fat veggie soup is a much better food choice than ice cream.

Anyone who adds Ice Cream will gain weight, the sugar and carbs will spike your blood sugar, make you hungrier and it wont fill you up. I remember and old saying that there's always room for ice cream.

Hi,

remember SODIUM. SALT, nasty stuff. It will put pounds on almost overnight! Can you try yogurt with mashed fruit, greek yogurt is very high in Protein and is very thick. Sugar doesnt help either, ice cream is loaded with it, and it will sliiiiide right through your band. There so many thing out there you can do, first and formest call your doc and let them know your slipping, and oyu need something to help you out. Maybe they will bump you to mushies,,that will help a little for a little while.

Best of luck,,,:)

Hi. I am a week half out and get hungry OCC. But for my sweet attacks i mic whey powder sugarfree cheesecake pudding mix skim milk and two small nilla wafers. Blend it and chill it gets slightly thick and its only 90 calories! Low fat low carb low sugar high protein! And not to mention taste like cake batter. Lol its delicious but tends to stick with me.

I am almost 2months out and found at 2 to 3 weeks post I thought I was starving and one day it hit me, I was fighting head hunger. I would wait 10 minutes and than think and most of the time I wadnt as hungry as I thought. I HATE HEAD HUNGER. Not saying its whats going on with you, but it is very possible. I fight it alot. Good luck

I am almost 2months out and found at 2 to 3 weeks post I thought I was starving and one day it hit me, I was fighting head hunger. I would wait 10 minutes and than think and most of the time I wadnt as hungry as I thought. I HATE HEAD HUNGER. Not saying its whats going on with you, but it is very possible. I fight it alot. Good luck

oh i hate it too!! i hate it most when it wins! i get so annoyed!

Your gonna have to throw away the ice cream. Make a good Protein Shake add some splenda to cover your sweet tooth. Freeze it. You can have your treat and still be on the plan! : )

I'm also 2 weeks post op and I'm ravenously hungry. I feel like I'm eating more than I really am though. I feel so hungry, and I feel like I'm overeating, but when I added up my total calorie intake it was only about 480. My PA told me 2-4 oz of food only 3 times a day, all no sugar, no fat etc. So whenever I eat anything beyond that, I feel guilty. BUT I'M HUNGRY! Hahaha. Also, you're body is an amazing thing, when you starve it like we have, it slows the metabolism WAY down. So when you start eating again it says "SAVE AND STORE" since it's been under the impression that there was a famine. It's strange, but when you start giving it regular food at regular intervals it will start to use your food as fuel and not have a problem with burning your fat again since it's not duped into thinking you're starving. I'm with you though... I'M HUNGRY!