Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me I'm eating and I cannot stop!!

I got my band in January 2008 and I ended up losing about 70 lbs. At my lowest I was still really overweight, but my diabetes is now gone, I have more energy and I just feel better.

I hovered around the same weight for close to 2 years... losing a pound or 2, gaining up to 6 pounds but then having it come down again. I wanted to lose more, but quite frankly I was content enough with my life where it was at.

At this point I can't even remember what my band is filled to. The last time I went in for a fill was about 18 months ago... the person that does the fills where I went made me feel like the biggest loser (not the good kind) ever. I got lectured about how my food choices are why I haven't lost more weight and that I wasn't going to be successful if my form of exercise was working in my yard (which, mind you I had never done before that year because I never had the energy). She flat out told me that she wasn't going to give me much of a fill and I did not lose any additional weight after that last fill. But it has left me not wanting to go back. I do realize that I have restriction and I need to make better choices.

The last several months for me have been quite challenging, realizing there is a problem with my 7 year old son to getting him diagnosed with ADD. A husband that I am more and more unhappy with. I have found myself making more and more bad choices where food is concerned... and I just can't figure out how to get off this ride.

That is my question today... aside from getting a fill... what have people done to successfully get themselves back on track and moving in the right direction.. because it has always seemed to me that when I start going down this path it's the hardest thing to get going in the right direction again because I know I will miss eating whatever I want. I have gained about 15 lbs from the point that I was content to live with and my pants are tight and I am just hating the choices I am making, and how I feel.

So at this point, any suggestions for what has really worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

I got my band in January 2008 and I ended up losing about 70 lbs. At my lowest I was still really overweight, but my diabetes is now gone, I have more energy and I just feel better.

I hovered around the same weight for close to 2 years... losing a pound or 2, gaining up to 6 pounds but then having it come down again. I wanted to lose more, but quite frankly I was content enough with my life where it was at.

At this point I can't even remember what my band is filled to. The last time I went in for a fill was about 18 months ago... the person that does the fills where I went made me feel like the biggest loser (not the good kind) ever. I got lectured about how my food choices are why I haven't lost more weight and that I wasn't going to be successful if my form of exercise was working in my yard (which, mind you I had never done before that year because I never had the energy). She flat out told me that she wasn't going to give me much of a fill and I did not lose any additional weight after that last fill. But it has left me not wanting to go back. I do realize that I have restriction and I need to make better choices.

The last several months for me have been quite challenging, realizing there is a problem with my 7 year old son to getting him diagnosed with ADD. A husband that I am more and more unhappy with. I have found myself making more and more bad choices where food is concerned... and I just can't figure out how to get off this ride.

That is my question today... aside from getting a fill... what have people done to successfully get themselves back on track and moving in the right direction.. because it has always seemed to me that when I start going down this path it's the hardest thing to get going in the right direction again because I know I will miss eating whatever I want. I have gained about 15 lbs from the point that I was content to live with and my pants are tight and I am just hating the choices I am making, and how I feel.

So at this point, any suggestions for what has really worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

You could try having a couple of detox days... just eat healthy Soup. This might shrink your stomach and you wont have so much of an appetite afterwards.

I'm having the same problem as you.. I haven't been able to stop eating today! this is what I'm going to try.

Good luck!

Whenever I fall off the wagon or can't eat right I do the 5 day pouch test. This is great to see how your band is doing, if you need a fill, shrinks your stomach a bit and gets you back into healthy eating.

If I have an appointment with my doc and I am debating a fill I do this for a few days before to see if I really need a fill or if my head is getting the best of me.

I find that when I get into a rut like that, I need to keep my hands busy. If the weather is nice, I work outside in my garden. If it's not, I clean, do needlepoint or puzzles, play with the dog, anything to keep my hands and my mind occupied.

BTW, relax regarding your son. My son is ADD, and he is now 30 and doing fine. School was difficult for him, because of the lack of structure. He is in his 13th year in the National Guard (the structure of the military has been the best thing for him), has a college degree, and a full time job with benefits. I am also a teacher, and will tell you that I had my son tested privately. I did not allow the school system to classify him and place him in special ed. I see too much coddling in a program that places as many students as possible into it because more students means more government money for the district. I simply told my son, now that we know what the problem is, how can we fix it? We came up with our own solutions (for example, covering morning textbooks in one color paper and afternoon textbooks in a different color paper) and he is successful while his classmates who were classified in school cannot hold down a job. With your love and highly structured guidance, your son will do just fine. (ADD is just the new way of saying "he has ants in his pants" - or am I so old nobody remembers that saying...)

As for your husband, we are all unhappy with our spouses at one time or another. Have a good chat with yourself to figure out if it has something to do with your feelings toward yourself. Sometimes when we're unhappy with ourselves, everything our spouses do seems to irritate us when under normal circumstances it wouldn't. If, after your self-chat, you decide that he is the problem, then only you can decide where to go from there.

The bottom line is that you need to take care of yourself first, and the rest will fall into place. Although your son will never admit it, (mine didn't until I told them I was having the surgery), he will be embarrassed and ashamed of you if you gain all of that weight back. I know you don't want that, so perhaps that thought can provide some incentive for you to stay on track. Hang in there. I wish you the best.

All good advice, and at the end of the day you just need to realise it is simple choice. What do you want more, to eat whatever you want or to feel good about your dietary choices? You can do one or the other, there's no magic, no tricks, you just have to decide to do it.

First - get rid of all the unhealthy foods in your house. If your husband and son want to eat them - let them go out. Buy only lite whole wheat bread, I can't believe it's not butter spray, fresh fruits or those no sugar added 1/2 cup fruit cups, whole grain, low sugar cereals, skim milk, and if you like cheese and yogurt (I hate them and can hardly type the words) - then buy the low fat/sugar kind, some lite Soups (Progresso makes good ones), some whole grain Pasta (if you can eat it), egg beaters, tuna fish, etc..

Start with a certain number of calories you want to do. Maybe start with 1500. Then figure out how to get those 1500 with 3 meals and two Snacks. Write down your food for the day that fits in those calories - one day you might have the Cereal, skim milk for Breakfast, the next day egg beaters and a slice of lite whole wheat toast with low sugar jelly and for dinner maybe some chicken with fat free gravy. I buy rotissiere chickens and remove the skins. And chop up the chicken and add some BBQ Sauce or fat free gravy. Add some veggies. Maybe have a rice cake with some Peanut Butter for a snack or some string cheese.

And of course, drink your Water and get some exercise. Start with walking. Go to a mall without your wallet and just walk around.

These are just some suggestions. Once you get started it will get easier. Getting started is the hard part.

Good luck.

Thank you all for taking the time to give your input!! Today was better than the last several weeks and I plan to continue to move in the right direction.

The same exact thing happened to me, even the same weight - I had lost 70, then it a little here a little there, then a gain. My advice, find a new fill doctor and go get a fill. That changed it all for me. Once I had the fill and the restriction came back, I am right on track and losing again. It's been approximately three weeks since my fill and I am down 15 pounds! You can do it, everyone has lapses, you just need to get back on track!!

Good luck!!:rolleyes:

I am feeling exactly like you right now. I am so struggling with my weight. I was banded November 2008...I had lost 110 pounds....I have gained 8 pounds in the last month. I am freaking out. I called True results to schedule a fill and she said to me,you have not been in since last march and scheduled me three weeks out for a fill as I wanted it under flouro-scope., to check my band. I try to manage my own care as I have not seen a doctor since my surgery and when I asked about that the receptionist had know knowledge of that. So...I have had ice crunching issues(driving my family nuts). Decided to have my GP follow up with my blood work and found out that I was enimic,vitamin D deficient, and my thyroid was low....I did not feel like doing anything let alone excercise...So what I am saying is you have to take care of your self.

My son is also ADD. He is going to graduate from High school in June and he has been accepted to college. Received his acceptance letter on Christmas eve. It was awesome. From one parent to another be strict with your son, get him on a schedule and stick to it...My doctors and private psychologists at the time said to give him extra time and wider boundries. Over the years this has made life around the house more difficult, takes him longer to do his chores, clean his room, homework. I would have been more strict. Your son will be just fine as I can hear that you are a caring and an involved parent.

The husband thing...I am very unhappy right now with my husband of 24 years...we all go through this....the bottom line is..

Take care of your self, sometimes as moms we forget to do that.....

All of the above advice is good, but if you're still hungry, I would go get a fill *AND* if this person starts lecturing you again and threatening to not fill your band because you haven't lost any weight, I would ask to speak to her 'boss'. We are not given fills as a carrot/stick reward/punishment. We are given fills when we're hungry because that's what the band does when it's at the right fill level...it controls hunger. I would also tell her...and this is just me...that she can hold her lectures for her children. She's there to give you a fill...not berate you so that you won't come back for the followup care you need.

If this is the doctor with the bad behavior, I'd find a new one.