Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Serious Help Needed

Hi All..

My surgery is scheduled for March 1 and my Dr prescribed the 2 week liquid diet as 4-6 Protein Shakes a day, sugar free jello/pudding, broth, and all sugar free drinks...for the shakes portion he suggested slimfast. So here I am, I decided to start the diet this past monday instead of tuesday just to give me a head start, by Monday afternoon I felt like death. The slimfast shakes are not only disgusting but are not filling at all. I started reading the posts on here when it came to other peoples' pre-op diets and became so frustrated with mine that I called my drs office and told them I have to have some type of nourishment (i.e. food) even if its egg whites and vegetables for one of the meals. Of course, my nutritionist recommended against it but said that I was on the right track in terms of what I was planning on replacing it with IF i decided to go that route.

After reading all the posts on here, I am a little overwhelmed with some of the Protein products that have been suggested as I am completely clueless on how to go about even picking something to make my attempt to sticking to this easier....I know I know that after surgery we are all going WEEKS with this type of diet plan and if I can't get through it now how am I going to get through it afterward? well let me say this, for the surgery, I have quit smoking after being a smoker for the last 20 years without so much as going more than a few hours without a cigarette, quit drinking socially and now quit completely eating 2 weeks prior to never being able to ever eat the same again?

I am having a hard time and could really use some help/guidance here.....

thanks in advance..

Hi, I am now on Day 7 of my preop diet ...before my time to start came up I researched all the Protein drinks I could find ...I went online , I went to the Vitaminshoppe, and I found the ones I could live with.. the first few days are the hardest and so I chose to not go out with anyone especially if there was going to be eating...I snapped at my husband a few times because he ate around me....he's much nicer now ...he eats before I come home....but it doesnt bother me anymore ...i have to stay positive and focused on my goal and thats what keeps my going. I have one more week to go and surgery on friday the 25th....the one Protein I did like that taste good to me is at this website http://www.tryabouttime.com/index.php you can buy sample packets to see which flavor you like...I use my magic bullet alot and take my drinks to work ...you can get a large tub of whey isolate protein and mix with Davinci sugar free syrups that come in many flavors...broth helps me alot with the hunger ...I use the chicken bullion cubes and sip in a coffee cup....i hope this helps you in some way...It does get better as each day goes by...try to stay busy to keep you mind off of it....This is going to be a good adventure once you get over the hump.

Hi All..

My surgery is scheduled for March 1 and my Dr prescribed the 2 week liquid diet as 4-6 Protein shakes a day, sugar free jello/pudding, broth, and all sugar free drinks...for the shakes portion he suggested slimfast. So here I am, I decided to start the diet this past monday instead of tuesday just to give me a head start, by Monday afternoon I felt like death. The slimfast shakes are not only disgusting but are not filling at all. I started reading the posts on here when it came to other peoples' pre-op diets and became so frustrated with mine that I called my drs office and told them I have to have some type of nourishment (i.e. food) even if its egg whites and vegetables for one of the meals. Of course, my nutritionist recommended against it but said that I was on the right track in terms of what I was planning on replacing it with IF i decided to go that route.

After reading all the posts on here, I am a little overwhelmed with some of the protein products that have been suggested as I am completely clueless on how to go about even picking something to make my attempt to sticking to this easier....I know I know that after surgery we are all going WEEKS with this type of diet plan and if I can't get through it now how am I going to get through it afterward? well let me say this, for the surgery, I have quit smoking after being a smoker for the last 20 years without so much as going more than a few hours without a cigarette, quit drinking socially and now quit completely eating 2 weeks prior to never being able to ever eat the same again?

thanks in advance..

Do yourself a favor, and go on ebay, type in Muscle Milk "you should look up the lite" Find a seller that has multiple flavors, and look into them.

I like Cookies n cream, strawberry milkshake, vanilla cream, chocolate Peanut Butter blend, and chocolate Carmel. You will only end up on a Protein shake anyway so get something that's good, not a diet drink. I been buying my stuff from ebay for the last 5 years. On occasion I will find someone that ordered the wrong stuff like strawberry, and pick it up on a buy. It's a good thing to know about trust me on that one. It's good stuff, and if you look around you will see that it is big business. Not a Flash in the Pan.

Congrats on everything that you have done, and sounds like you really got it together.

I quit smoking too, been almost 30 yrs since I quit. Time sure goes by.

But that is the best info that I know of, We all have to practice the same thing too, and we do.

Good Luck, Shirley.

Hi, I am on day 3 of my all shake pre op diet, I will be banded on March 9th, yes it is very hard, I keep getting headaches, but whats helping me is I keep thinking of how my EKG rhythm has changed, and I dont want to end up with something worse. If I was never this heavy I would still have a NSR (normal sinus rhythm), and not a bundle branch block. I dont know what your motivation is, but find it, and everytime you feel tempted think of that! It helps! Good Luck with this wonderful diet lol Just remember your not alone!

I have been drinking the sugar free carnation Breakfast and special k breakfast drinks regular oatmeal and sugar free pudding and broth so far so good.

Hi All..

My surgery is scheduled for March 1 and my Dr prescribed the 2 week liquid diet as 4-6 Protein shakes a day, sugar free jello/pudding, broth, and all sugar free drinks...for the shakes portion he suggested slimfast. So here I am, I decided to start the diet this past monday instead of tuesday just to give me a head start, by Monday afternoon I felt like death. The slimfast shakes are not only disgusting but are not filling at all. I started reading the posts on here when it came to other peoples' pre-op diets and became so frustrated with mine that I called my drs office and told them I have to have some type of nourishment (i.e. food) even if its egg whites and vegetables for one of the meals. Of course, my nutritionist recommended against it but said that I was on the right track in terms of what I was planning on replacing it with IF i decided to go that route.

After reading all the posts on here, I am a little overwhelmed with some of the Protein products that have been suggested as I am completely clueless on how to go about even picking something to make my attempt to sticking to this easier....I know I know that after surgery we are all going WEEKS with this type of diet plan and if I can't get through it now how am I going to get through it afterward? well let me say this, for the surgery, I have quit smoking after being a smoker for the last 20 years without so much as going more than a few hours without a cigarette, quit drinking socially and now quit completely eating 2 weeks prior to never being able to ever eat the same again?

thanks in advance..

hope surgery went great,..and you are not in a lot of discomfort. Good luck..

Hey guys.

I saw this post and I just thought I would post a Protein Shake recipe that I find is super tasty and really helps me get my Protein in for the day. I am getting banded on March 8th and, let me tell you, this liquid diet has been pretty bad. I just hate the taste of the protein powders. I bought mine from GNC so supposedly they are pretty good . . . but I can't seem to convince my brain of that! So, when I made this, I was SO happy! Now, in the last few days, I can get my protein fill!!

Fist of all, you will need a mixer, I just have one of those magic bullet type mixers that makes the shake right in the cup. Just one of the shaker ones could possibly work, but you really need one that can crush ice.

- Fill the cup halfway with skim milk (I use lactose free since I am lactose intolerant).

- Dump in a scoop of your choice of protein powder.< /span>

~ I have used the nonflavored and Cookies and cream. I have never tried the vanilla, but I am pretty sure that any Protein Powder would work.

- After that comes the flavoring. It may sound strange, but it's really good. Find your favorite sugar-free pudding mixes. I buy mine at wal-mart for like .82 cents or something. I have tried it with the cheesecake one (I was feeling daring), but I didn't really enjoy it. I use the banana cream pudding mix. The banana flavor takes away the flavor of the protein powder.

-As far as measuring this, I just kind of shake a little bit in. I want to say about 2 teaspoons, but I really don't know. You can add more and it has never tasted too sweet. Close up the pudding bag after that and save it for later. One pack should make about 3-4 shakes.

- Fill up the rest with some ice. I use crushed ice because it does seem to mix in better.

- Blend it all together and drink it up!

ALL FINISHED! Honestly, I love this thing. I think the banana flavored shake could get a little old after a while, but then so can the liquid diet. Sometimes you just have to find what works and go with it. No matter how much it sucks!

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope you are doing well in this liquid diet stage. I will let you know if I find any other good mixtures. I have other pudding mixes to try! :D

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hey guys.

I saw this post and I just thought I would post a Protein shake recipe that I find is super tasty and really helps me get my Protein in for the day. I am getting banded on March 8th and, let me tell you, this liquid diet has been pretty bad. I just hate the taste of the protein powders. I bought mine from GNC so supposedly they are pretty good . . . but I can't seem to convince my brain of that! So, when I made this, I was SO happy! Now, in the last few days, I can get my protein fill!!

Fist of all, you will need a mixer, I just have one of those magic bullet type mixers that makes the shake right in the cup. Just one of the shaker ones could possibly work, but you really need one that can crush ice.

- Fill the cup halfway with skim milk (I use lactose free since I am lactose intolerant).

- Dump in a scoop of your choice of protein powder.

~ I have used the nonflavored and Cookies and cream. I have never tried the Vanilla, but I am pretty sure that any protein powder would work.

- After that comes the flavoring. It may sound strange, but it's really good. Find your favorite sugar-free pudding mixes. I buy mine at wal-mart for like .82 cents or something. I have tried it with the cheesecake one (I was feeling daring), but I didn't really enjoy it. I use the banana cream pudding mix. The banana flavor takes away the flavor of the protein powder.

-As far as measuring this, I just kind of shake a little bit in. I want to say about 2 teaspoons, but I really don't know. You can add more and it has never tasted too sweet. Close up the pudding bag after that and save it for later. One pack should make about 3-4 shakes.

- Fill up the rest with some ice. I use crushed ice because it does seem to mix in better.

- Blend it all together and drink it up!

ALL FINISHED! Honestly, I love this thing. I think the banana flavored shake could get a little old after a while, but then so can the liquid diet. Sometimes you just have to find what works and go with it. No matter how much it sucks!

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope you are doing well in this liquid diet stage. I will let you know if I find any other good mixtures. I have other pudding mixes to try! :D

Let me know if you have any questions!

I also created my own low carb. Egg Drop Soup that is super delicious if anyone is interested in trying to made that! Super easy and a good change from the protein shakes! Let me know!

Do yourself a favor, and go on ebay, type in Muscle Milk "you should look up the lite" Find a seller that has multiple flavors, and look into them.

I like Cookies n cream, strawberry milkshake, vanilla cream, chocolate Peanut Butter blend, and chocolate Carmel. You will only end up on a Protein shake anyway so get something that's good, not a diet drink. I been buying my stuff from ebay for the last 5 years. On occasion I will find someone that ordered the wrong stuff like strawberry, and pick it up on a buy. It's a good thing to know about trust me on that one. It's good stuff, and if you look around you will see that it is big business. Not a Flash in the Pan.

Congrats on everything that you have done, and sounds like you really got it together.

I quit smoking too, been almost 30 yrs since I quit. Time sure goes by.

But that is the best info that I know of, We all have to practice the same thing too, and we do.

Good Luck, Shirley.

I use muscle milk lite also. At first it didn't seem like it would hold me but now I do feel full after a shake sometimes its even overfilling to drink a full serving. I'm on day 12 of the pre op --I started early to give myself time to adjust to it, I have 2 muscle milk lites and one very small Protein meal. Most of the time the drink holds me just fine for about 6 hrs. I started at 318 and am now at 292 lbs--I feel very encouraged with my loss and it helps me stay on track cause I don't want to gain any and then have to loose it again. I know it sounds silly, but my seat belt used to be so snug that it aways stayed locked and wouldn't move with me---now it doesn't do that anymore......count your small victories they help me...I hope you will find the encouragement you need, so many nice folks on this site.

I would find a better source of Protein then slimfast. Gold Standard whey isolate Protein power Double chocolate is pretty good. I make milk cubes and use a blender to mix the shakes gives them a nice icy texture. I also add suger free pudding powder (tablespoon). I buy my Protein Powder at Vitamin Shoppe. Premade Premier Brand Protein Shakes from costco are very good 160 cal, 30 g of fat.

I would try a better protein and see if that helps you. If you have to add something else I would get premade chicken breast strips. Weight out your portions on a scale say 1 oz at a time.

I also created my own low carb. Egg Drop Soup that is super delicious if anyone is interested in trying to made that! Super easy and a good change from the Protein shakes! Let me know!

I love egg drop soup... Let me know the recipe. I would appreciate it.

I love egg drop soup... Let me know the recipe. I would appreciate it.

Here is the basic recipe for what I do to make this Soup. I made it once and it was absolutely delicious, but then another time I made it . . . it wasn't as good. So, I think you just kind of have to find the way that works for you and stick with it.

4 cups chicken broth (low fat, low sodium)

2 eggs (lightly beaten). If you want to just do egg whites, you can put in more than 2 eggs. I doubled this recipe when I made it and put in about 6 eggs, so it's really up to you

Seasonings (I used a garlic salt and pepper mixture, but you can also use white pepper and just regular salt if you wish)

A few drops of sesame Oil (usually found in the Asian food section of stores)

Green onions (if you want, I didn't put them in, but I know many restaurants garnish their egg drop soup with it)

Take a saucepan and boil the chicken broth

Once it is boiling, put in the sesame oil and seasonings. As far as how much seasoning, it basically just depends on how strong you want it to taste. I just added the garlic/pepper and tasted it. Do this once you have put in the sesame oil, though, because that's what gives your soup the most flavor.

Let that boil for about a minute

Then, very slowly pour in the beaten eggs.

Depending on what consistency you want the eggs, rapidly stir or slowly stir. I found that rapidly stirring makes the eggs shred and slowly stirring makes more streamy eggs.

Then, ENJOY!

Now, just keep in mind that this wont be exactly like the kind you get at restaurants because restaurants tend to put in corn starch and that makes the soup thicker. Just play around with it, season it how you think would taste good.

One thing noticed is that the eggs will mix just as well if you don't blend them beforehand. Like, if you just break them directly into the saucepan. It's really up to you. With that, though, you just have to make sure you break up the egg so that the yolk doesn't cook whole. :)

Let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully this works out for you!