Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that Zumba is gaining in popularity, and I know that it is strenuous, but just how beneficial is it? I don't have the ACTUAL Zumba videos, but I've been using some I found on Youtube, and if they aren't the real thing, then I don't know what they are.

I just wanted to know if anyone actually knew how beneficial it was and if it is actually worth the six minutes and basically killing myself.

As someone who teaches it, I can tell you that Zumba has a lot of benefits. The main benefit is that it provides cardiovascular exercise as well as strength training so you get it all at once! The greatest thing about Zumba is that you participate at your own level. If you've got bad knees, bad back, or whatever you can modify what you're doing and it's no big deal. With any exercise program, the key is that you do it more than once a week and regularly. If you exercise once a week and think you're doing something for your body...wrong. Classes are generally 45-60 minutes and it's not a session of "killing you" because it's fun and the instructor knows how to adequately warm you up and cool you down so that you don't get hurt. Live classes are much more fun than videos and remember: Every one has a first day.

After my banding on 3/3 i plan to return to Zumba low impact and let my seasoned veterans do all the jumping for me until i can do it again myself!

I bought the zumba workout dvd set. I love it. It has 2 - cardio dvds & about 55 mins long each, 1 - 45 mins for sculpting & toning, 1 -20 mins for abs & 1 - 20 min that is a express workout, plus the instructional one that goes through all the moves which is longer than an hour. It also came with the toning sticks. My girlfriends that have been over to try them were glad they did that before going to a public workout with others. It's fun but if you aren't very coordinate you could look a little silly but hey you are moving & working the body! The set was $65. Was it worth it? Sure was and i mix in the elliptical as well. I'm not bored with it yet but I did just order Tony Horton's 10 min trainer disc set to add in some additional workouts because i don't always have an hour.

I bought the DVD online and just did the learning the steps part. I will probably be doing that for 2 weeks before moving on to the workouts. Just learning the steps is a work out enough and I am not a dancer. Will be doing it alone for a while would be to embarrising in front of people till I learn the steps. I think my brain and body do not work together when it comes to dancing. But looks like fun. I use a total gym every night so I need the cardio.

Cheri

I LOVE Zumba...I can't offer you any advice as to what DVDs you should get, but I can tell you, the in person classes are GREAT...and you don't need to feel embarrassed if you don't know the moves are uncoordinated, because chances are there is someone else the same way..plus it's so fast that everyone is just paying attention to the instructor. You can also catch on fairly easily b/c the instructor will repeat moves. I just read an article that Zumba burns anywhere from 500-800 calories per hour.

I LOVE ZUMBA!!! I go twice a week to a class at my gym and would go more if they had more classes. I have been going for about 6 weeks now and am starting to get the steps down. A few of the soundtracks are actually some popular songs and I find myself doing the moves when the songs come on!

Give a class a try, if you can. I love it!

Good luck, everyone!

I might try a class, but I am gonna have to do it at home first for a while. Those girls look great on there, must weigh all of 95lbs.

Cheri

Don't worry about looking good -- or knowing the steps -- find a good beginners class and just do it -- it's a fun class and no one does it perfectly I'm no dancer but the music is so good it makes it a lot of fun.

as a licensed Zumba instructor i can ASSURE you that while there may be more than just you in a group class, no one is looking at you. They're all trying to concentrate by looking at the instructor. In my class I have everyone from the 100lb 16 year olds, to the slightly overweight 70 yr old men, and everyone in between. A class would be great way to ensure you have some time to yourself out of your house, and make some new friends with like minded goals. Try the class! It's way easier to follow than the DVDs!

going to my first zumba class on thursday at the Y, and I'm so excited, but also a bit nervous. I've been looking for a fun way to motivate myself to exercise, and I really hope this is the one!

In my opinion, the videos you can find online or on ON demand cannot compare with taking a real zumba class. I attend one at my local golds gym, I know that many YMCAs also offer a zumba class. Its an hour straight of fun, cardio.At my gym they turn the lighrs out, and turn on the disco lights which gives it a club like atmosphere. Doing the eliptical or treadmill for an hour doesnt compare to the Zumba.I am much more exhausted after zumba than any other traditional cardio experience. Im guessing its because you are most def. using every single muscle, and going in multiple directions and speeds. Plus being in a room with 50 other women, great music and a great instructor makes the workout more enjoyable. Try it once and youll def. come back. I try to do it atleast twice a week in addition to my workouts. I started the last week of January and its helped me drop an additional 25 pounds since..;]

I, too, LOVE ZUMBA!!! I've always been a fan of dancing and it just looked fun so I tried. I thought I would get lost and feel out of place. Not true at all. I started in the Zumba for beginners class at the Y. The instructor actually told me after class that she thought I would do great in the regular class. While I may have natural rhythm, I'm not a small girl by any means. I was probaby about 285 lbs in my first zumba class and noone stared or looked at me like I was out of place. In fact, some of the women in class actually encouraged me and invited me to other classes with them.

Don't be embarassed to go try it out. I'm telling you, it is so fun! I sweat so much more in a 50 minute Zumba class than the same amount of time on the treadmill, bike, or elliptical. And, it works your muscles a LOT so that will help you continue to burn calories even after you're done. Zumba is a great thing! :rolleyes:

I've tried it twice and I'm completely unco, all it did for me is prove I have no coordination, lol.

Look, I'd never say something didnt work or wasnt beneficial because its totally individual, and if you've been sedentary, are unfit and overweight, its going to be a great workout for you. If you're fit and just want active leisure, something fun to do, likewise, a great way to spend your time.

I had a different experience to those mentioned above - as a very fit person, a regular runner, boot camper and doing regular strength training - I found it not what I'd call "exercise". It didnt get my heart rate up much, didnt tax my muscles, didnt make me sweat. I find other "aerobics' classes the same - Body Attack and Body Combat are just way too easy as well. I prefer more athletic endeavours - for classes I stick with Spinning or RPM and Body Pump with a very well loaded bar, accompanied by a half hour interval run on the treadmill. Other days I like to do a 10km run outside. If you're at that level of fitness then Zumba isnt going to challenge you but it'll still be fun and burn a few calories as that's as good a reason as any to do it. IF I could dance, and that's a big IF, I would do it, but still do my run on that day.

I'm definitely not knocking it, its a worthwhile class, but if you're already quite fit, you might not find it as challenging as you hope.

I actually purchased the DVD's too, and I'm loving them. I've been doing the dvd's 4-5 times a week for at least 40 minutes (there's a few dvd's that are around 20 minutes long, I"ll do 2 back to back), and I've already lost 7lbs and 3 inches off my waist. I never took any other measurements, but my hips, thighs, arms, and back are all much more toned and slimmer looking. I really do look forward to doing them, I don't have to drive to get to a gym, just go back to my spare room and shake my booty!