Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2011 Bandsters

anyoone else who has been banded already have major loss of energy...I am so tired, I assume its because im only getting 500-600 calories per day but I am so exhausted, I want to sleep all day..I feel so bad for my kids who have been spending almost all their time w/ their grandma's :( I am very greatful for the surgery and I have already lost 19 pounds since the first time i stepped into the doctors office but i can help but feel really bad about this :(

I am having my Lap Band surgery on March 23. I am on my two week liquid diet right now and have already lost 5 pounds. I am so excited to have this done. It took me a whole year to get the insurance company to approve me. I hope everyone who is getting this done has a wonderful experience. :D

I got banded Thursday, March 10! I still can't believe it. I had more pain the second day than the first but today (3rd day post op) I seem to feel a little better. I am even considering just taking ibuprofen instead of narcotics but I keep reading conflicting things if it is ok or not.

I know I wasn't getting enough liquids..every time I drink something I feel like it takes a long time to go down. I sent the hubby to get sugar free popsicles...they are the bomb! Good luck to those of you getting banded this week, the whole process was smoother than I thought it would be and soon you'll be a bandster too!

Yes they are!!! My survivor kit? Crystal light with Isopure , sugar free popsicle, and lots and lots of water!!

Good Luck! And keep us posted!

I got banded Thursday, March 10! I still can't believe it. I had more pain the second day than the first but today (3rd day post op) I seem to feel a little better. I am even considering just taking ibuprofen instead of narcotics but I keep reading conflicting things if it is ok or not.

I know I wasn't getting enough liquids..every time I drink something I feel like it takes a long time to go down. I sent the hubby to get sugar free popsicles...they are the bomb! Good luck to those of you getting banded this week, the whole process was smoother than I thought it would be and soon you'll be a bandster too!

feeling a little better tonight...I had been on Clear Liquids but tonight i spurged a little and had a 1/2 cup of broc/cheddar soup...it was really thin and the small pieces of broccoli that were in there i chewed really good... a lot of my swelling has gone down and im losing a lot of weight # wise...I just cant wait till the two weeks of clear liquids is over and i can "legally' have creamy soups...I feel so guilty that i ate it, like my band isnt going to work now but I NEEDED something more then just clear chicken broth tonight, i have been feeling so weak :( any thoughts on this?

I only had to have Clear liquids the first day, I can have broccoli and cheese Soup, just need to blend it first.

feeling a little better tonight...I had been on clear liquids but tonight i spurged a little and had a 1/2 cup of broc/cheddar soup...it was really thin and the small pieces of broccoli that were in there i chewed really good... a lot of my swelling has gone down and im losing a lot of weight # wise...I just cant wait till the two weeks of clear liquids is over and i can "legally' have creamy Soups...I feel so guilty that i ate it, like my band isnt going to work now but I NEEDED something more then just clear chicken broth tonight, i have been feeling so weak :( any thoughts on this?

hmm....thats weird..i wonder why some doctors want clear liquids for 2 weeks and others want it for a shorter period of time...I have already lost 10 pounds in addition to the 1st 9 i lost pre op...so im at 19 pounds...I dont want to do anything to mess up or stretch out my band.....i just feel so guilty!

I only had to have clear liquids the first day, I can have broccoli and cheese Soup, just need to blend it first.

Scheduled for March 15 and no pre-op diet was given...... Goodluck to you!! :-)...Im so freakin nervous

Hi Everyone!!

Where are all the March bandsters at?!! I was just approved last week and have a surgery date of March 16th. Looks like I'll be starting a two week pre-op liquid diet (Optifast) on March 2nd which I'm not looking forward to!! Anyone else scheduled for March? Do you have a pre-op diet to follow?

Good Luck to everyone!! :)

Kelli since your body is now using fat reserves for energy your fatigue is probably due to recovering from major surgery in itself or potentially dehydration vs not enough calories. * hugs* this too shall pass

I get any liquids the first week after surgery: Tomato Soup, milk, smooth yogurt, etc. They told me creamed Soups ar eok if blenderized or strained. (but of course follow your own directions). I'm sure it's good you chewed chunks really well. How did you tolerate the Soup? ? My understanding is it's not to prevent stomach pouch stretching, but to prevent vomiting and band slippage while the stomach heals where they've stitched the lower portion to the new pouch to secure the band.

I'm in so much pain today I'm tempted to take my post op pain medication. I did something to my back overnight at work. I just took some tylenol so hopefully that'lll do the trick. Usually I take motrin but that's out being pe-op. I just have the rest of today and tomorrow left. I'll sleep on and off today then all night since I worked graveyard last night, have an all-day class tomorrow....then surgery Tuesday at 7am (Pacific Time) I'm getting rather nervous. :huh:

I am in the Los Angeles area and my date is set for 3/24/11. Have a lot of dates set in March. See doctor one more time on 3/7 to ask any additional questions and pay program fee, 3 hour Pre-Op class with nutritionist on 3/15, EKG/X-Ray/Lab Work with primary doctor on 3/18, and of course start full liquid 1000 cal/day diet for 2 weeks starting on 3/10. I would love to talk to others in the LA area, so we can get some additional support with one another. Good luck to all!

This is the same diet I had. It was easy peasy! I could not imagine an all liquid diet for 2 or 3 weeks....eek!

I am so excited!!! I had my last meal tonight!!! Well ok, I had my last "regular" meal this evening!!! LOL My husband cooked Filet Mignon on the grill with baked potato and salad! It was YUMMY!!! I enjoyed every bite!

I start the liquid diet tomorrow for two weeks before my surgery then I am getting banded 3/28/11!!!! I am excited, and nervous! I continue to loose weight, slowly but I am excited to see what the next two weeks bring! I have to drink 6 shakes a day and I can have SF Jello, popsicles, crystal light and broth (basically anything you can see through)!

It is going to be a busy week I still have to have a few test and meet with the dietician again, I also have to meet with the psychiatrist and the anesthesiolgist.

Good Luck everyone!!!

Joleen

I leave tomorrow AM for Mexico. My surgery is the following day on the 15th. 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet and my hubbie says I am cranky today. Yes, nerves play into it. I am wishing a solid meal soon; I know it will be 3 more weeks away. Man, this is mind-over-matter! To quote Star Wars: "Let the Force be with you" I need to laugh it up!

I opted for a "sensable" bathing suit vs. something that was unflattering. I can only imagine wearing a bikini again and actually having a flat tummy! That is on my "Bucket List" for next summer!

I am fearful of the unknown-common side effect, excited for the future, and so pleased my dream has come to fruition!

I am not so computer savvy, but I hope to make up a blog and keep you all posted.

Thank-you all for the kind and encouraging words.:plane: Just a few hours before leaving for the airport!

thank you so much Marcy for the info, i feel much better! My dr also sews part of the stomach to secure the band, I tolerated the Soup just fine...the only complaint that i have is that when i eat the broccoli cheese soup, the pain in my shoulder magnifies...I have not taken pain meds all day today because im trying to prepare myself for what it is going to be like tomorrow at work...I have taken the advice of the other girls about walking appox 10 mins every hour to two hours and the pain is still the same if not worse, it feels like it has gone from the top of my shoulder to now the outer of my uppper left arm...its really making me nervous because i read that some people were claiming it can mean nerve damage??!

Kelli since your body is now using fat reserves for energy your fatigue is probably due to recovering from major surgery in itself or potentially dehydration vs not enough calories. * hugs* this too shall pass

I get any liquids the first week after surgery: Tomato Soup, milk, smooth yogurt, etc. They told me creamed Soups ar eok if blenderized or strained. (but of course follow your own directions). I'm sure it's good you chewed chunks really well. How did you tolerate the soup?? My understanding is it's not to prevent stomach pouch stretching, but to prevent vomiting and band slippage while the stomach heals where they've stitched the lower portion to the new pouch to secure the band.

I'm in so much pain today I'm tempted to take my post op pain medication. I did something to my back overnight at work. I just took some tylenol so hopefully that'lll do the trick. Usually I take motrin but that's out being pe-op. I just have the rest of today and tomorrow left. I'll sleep on and off today then all night since I worked graveyard last night, have an all-day class tomorrow....then surgery Tuesday at 7am (Pacific Time) I'm getting rather nervous. :huh:

congrats Dena & Joleen!! I am so excited for you two!! I hope everything goes smoothly and you come back to our board and tell us all about it!! GO GIRLS!!

I leave tomorrow AM for Mexico. My surgery is the following day on the 15th. 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet and my hubbie says I am cranky today. Yes, nerves play into it. I am wishing a solid meal soon; I know it will be 3 more weeks away. Man, this is mind-over-matter! To quote Star Wars: "Let the Force be with you" I need to laugh it up!

I opted for a "sensable" bathing suit vs. something that was unflattering. I can only imagine wearing a bikini again and actually having a flat tummy! That is on my "Bucket List" for next summer!

I am fearful of the unknown-common side effect, excited for the future, and so pleased my dream has come to fruition!

I am not so computer savvy, but I hope to make up a blog and keep you all posted.

Thank-you all for the kind and encouraging words.:plane: Just a few hours before leaving for the airport!

My surgery date was March 10th. I am 3 days out and struggling a bit. But glad to be with a group of people taking the leap as I have done. This group has really been valuable to me!!

Go get em March people!!!!

Bren