Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks After Lap Band Surgery Weight Loss Stopped

I had my LapBand surgery 3 weeks ago today. I have lost 44 lbs since the start of my journey but the last week has been hard. I have been instructed to go back to regular foods but since then my weight loss has stopped. I count my calories and take in less than 1000 a day and take in at least 40g of Protein a day. I get all my Water in and my Vitamins. I'm beginning to get discouraged. Is this normal? I know right now it's a time for healing but I have been doing so well up until now. Any input would be helpful.

Yes, this is very normal like you said you are still healing. You can't stay on liquids and mushies forever so as you introduce new foods to your body it will slow the process down but it will start back as soon as your body has adjusted. Keep your head up! I think I only lost 4 pounds at my 6 weeks check up. Some people gain our don't lose any during that time period.

I have also stalled. I am almost three weeks post op and started introducing foods into my diet so I am at a stand still. I feel your pain. It is very discouraging to see such a dramatic loss and then just stop. But I knew it would not last best thing is for our fills to come along and we get to the point were we can start exercising more.

THanks so much! I a just so ready to get the weight gone that it's discourging... Thanks for your help. Its a relief to know that it's pretty normal.

weight.png

Wow, you have done great so far! I had lost 70 pounds, slowed down, got discouraged, had gall bladder surgery, gained back 30 of the 70 and am now down an additional 43! (Which brings my total to about 83.) It sometimes gets discouraging when you stand still, DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN! I made that mistake and am now back on track and hoping to lose what I need to lose. I learned my lesson...

When I stall now, I will up my Water intake and increase my exercise, no more feeling sorry for myself! You're doing so great, just keep up the great work -- those pounds will be coming off soon!

Good luck! :rolleyes:

try increasing your Protein intake to 60-80 grams per day. are you exercising? if you are not doing so start a food / exercise journal. Know that bandster hell can be over come, but at the same time we feel your pain and frustration. you are doing great! Good luck and keep us updated.

I second upping your Protein. Grilled chicken breast strips are great for that. Before I had got closer to restriction I would have it as a snack.< /p>

Also, I swim every day which is a great for those of us who are over weight. No joint issues. I use a Water proof MP3 player. I was the same bmi as you when I started the lap band journey. HOWEVER. I had already lost 30 pounds from swimming. It was and continues to be quite a sight at my gym. Me in my fat lady swim suit and the high school swim teams (a different town everynight). Oh and the 20 parents sitting in the bleachers.

Take your measurements. You may not be losing weight on a scale but you may actually still be losing weight. Just last week my weight plateaued. It fluctuated throughout the week but I ended where I started. Rather disheartening. But, I lost 2.8 inches. I admit I was upset when I saw that I didn't lose anything, but then when I took my measurements I was pleasantly surprised.

Take the following measurements:

Neck

Chest (under breast)

Biceps

Forearm

Wrist

Waist (narrowest part)

Belly Button

Hips

Thigh

Calf

Ankle

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Also - increase your calories. Less than 1,200-1,400 is going to put you into starvation mode where you'll start retaining every calorie you eat. And once a week add about 300-500 calories extra (which isn't much, a couple of pieces of bread, a bowl of Cereal, etc.) That will spark your body to expect more calories, thus it burns a bit more, and you lose more weight. Sounds odd but it works.

Wow, you have done great so far! I had lost 70 pounds, slowed down, got discouraged, had gall bladder surgery, gained back 30 of the 70 and am now down an additional 43! (Which brings my total to about 83.) It sometimes gets discouraging when you stand still, DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN! I made that mistake and am now back on track and hoping to lose what I need to lose. I learned my lesson...

When I stall now, I will up my Water intake and increase my exercise, no more feeling sorry for myself! You're doing so great, just keep up the great work -- those pounds will be coming off soon!

Good luck! :rolleyes:

I really like your positive attitude!:lol:

Take your measurements. You may not be losing weight on a scale but you may actually still be losing weight. Just last week my weight plateaued. It fluctuated throughout the week but I ended where I started. Rather disheartening. But, I lost 2.8 inches. I admit I was upset when I saw that I didn't lose anything, but then when I took my measurements I was pleasantly surprised.

Take the following measurements:

Neck

Chest (under breast)

Biceps

Forearm

Wrist

Waist (narrowest part)

Belly Button

Hips

Thigh

Calf

Ankle

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Also - increase your calories. Less than 1,200-1,400 is going to put you into starvation mode where you'll start retaining every calorie you eat. And once a week add about 300-500 calories extra (which isn't much, a couple of pieces of bread, a bowl of Cereal, etc.) That will spark your body to expect more calories, thus it burns a bit more, and you lose more weight. Sounds odd but it works.

I have a question about the weight loss slow down. I was banded 5 weeks ago and I haven't dropped a pound in the last 3 weeks. I count my calories, always make sure that I get at least 60 gms of Protein. I can not understand how I can not be losing pounds when I made such drastic changes. So maybe I have two questions. How can you drop inches if you're not dropping pounds. No, I haven't started working out, so I don't think I'm gaining muscle. I would very much appreciate any input from anyone.

Your body can still be redistributing the weight even if you haven't gained muscle. I know it's hard to imagine but your body needs to heal and adjust. Exercise will help. And remember that most people plateau during that time of the month...or the week before.

"How can you drop inches if you're not dropping pounds."

Your body will redistribute weight, you can be losing fat but gaining muscle (even if you're not working out you're likely moving a little bit more), you could have Water weight gain in some areas but lose fat in others - resulting in steady weight or gained weight but lost inches. There are all sorts of ways.

Sometimes it just takes a while for things to kick in gear. It seems like a lot of people go months in the beginning with very very slow or absent weight loss and then things start up out of the blue down the road.

Sometimes, our bodies are weird and develop a weight loss pattern that is frustrating but still ultimately effective. If I went a month without losing, then I'd personally be worried. But I very regularly will not lose over the course of a week or two, and then suddenly the next week drop several pounds overnight. I also will notice my body maintaining a weight, but redistributing things so my clothes fit better and I "feel" thinner. Bizarre, but I've lost 90 lbs in 6 months, so even though I'm not losing consistently every week it is coming off nonetheless.

Keep at it. There is very little chance that you could follow the rules as you are, eat as few calories as you do, and not eventually lose weight.

Sometimes our bodies just do what they want to do. It cannot be explained. You can do everything right, and the scale will not change.

While I was in the losing phase I found that my body would part with the weight in fits and starts. I'd lose 3 lbs one week, then stay the same for a couple of weeks. Then 1 lb down, then up 1, down 2, stay the same for several weeks then lose 5. It was not a steady 1-2 lbs each week. Even though my diet was the same, my body parted with the weight when it was ready. It made absolutely no sense, but it became a total of 70 lbs down. Once I saw the "pattern" of no real pattern, but the weight going down I was able to relax and go with it.

Be confident in the fact that you are eating a healthy diet. You are also coming off of a "crash" diet and eating solids for the first time. Your body is adjusting to many changes at ones. Losing weight with the band is a journey. A long one at that. It isn't a short term event. Keep up the good work, and the weight will come off.