Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery next week and I need help

My surgery is next week Thursday and I am trying to be super prepared. Please help me in making sure that I have everything that I need. So far I just had my ice maker hooked up to provide ice chips. What else do I need? If you list really good Protein Drinks or specialty Soups make sure you tell me where to get it. I will be having my nutritionist visit the day before surgery (the winter storm stinks) and will have just hours to go to store and relax. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks. I have a blender like that, but I need to get the frozen berries/fruit. Thanks so much.

-heating pad

-liquid Tylenol

-snap in front bra with no underwire

- something for nausea (my dr didn't prescribe anything)

I normally buy bras from Lane Bryant. Do they have snap front bras? I hate wearing bras with wire anyway, they always leave marks on my skin.

I guess it all depends on what kind of diet your doctor has you on post-op. For me I am on shakes and Clear Liquids (jell-o, sugar free hard candies, and under 10 calorie drink like crystal lite or propel are keeping me alive :P !!). Make sure you have a heating pad when you come home (really helps with the gas pains). For the hospital I packed my contact case, contact solution, hair tie, lip balm, slippers, and cell phone. I totality forgot to bring a pillow (helps with the bumps on the way home) but my husband convinced the nurse to let us take their's lol. Don't forget to walk - it helps so much with the pain!!! Good luck:)!!

JBLady,

Congratulations on making this life-changing decision. A few must haves I would recommend:

• Bean with bacon Soup. (Blended) I think it might be Campbells. It's really good.
  • Gas-X dissolve strips - Helps a lot with the after surgery gas pains.
  • sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles (for different stages)
  • Greek yogurt - It's low fat and very high Protein. Oiko brand has a caramel version that's hard to find, but tastes amazing.

These are some of the things that helped me. Good luck!

The list so far is...

• Gas X strips
  • Heating pad
  • Lip balm
  • liquid Tylenol
  • slippers
  • pillow
  • contacts/glasses
  • hair scarf/comb
  • frozen fruit
  • snap front bra
  • sugar free pudding/jell-o
  • broth
  • soups (please recommend some for each stage)
  • nausea medication
  • sugar free popscicles/fudge bars

I brought a nightgown to go home in. I figured a wait band would be uncomfortable. Loose pants like sweats would probably work as well. Congrats on your impending surgery.

What is Phenergan? For pain or nausea?

I thank all of you so much. I had my preop appts this morning and they are so impressed with how much I know and the level of questioning asked. This is all possible because of all of you guys here. I don't post much, but I sure read your comments and they HELP me.

I will say that I don't remember anyone stating how miserable I would be during the Upper GI. They made me do crystals and barium. I was sure I was going to gag (and they were too), but I held it together. Now I feel sorry for my students because of all my burping and passing gas. I guess I'll just have to stand next to one of them and twirl my nose or blame it on the chair or floors. Teachers you know what I'm talking about :) I'm just kidding...there is one boy in my class everytime I DO pass gas say, "Mrs. B was that you?" I politely reply honey that must be the chair squeaking. When he gets older he'll probably think there was always an odor after the chair squeaked...

I am rolling over laughing at myself. I don't know what has gotten in to me. Maybe they took too much blood.

You are not going to need much at all. I was banded two weeks ago. You will feel groggy and just sleep a lot for the first 5 days or so. After that, my appetite returned to normal. I can eat everything and a lot. Not happy with results at all at this point, but have not been "filled" yet. I hope this was not a waste of time and money :( you will only need Water, Jello, and broth.< /p>

-heating pad

-liquid Tylenol

-snap in front bra with no underwire

- something for nausea (my dr didn't prescribe anything)

I so wish I'd thought to ask this before surgery last week! I would have killed for a heating pad, and I'm wearing a baggy old nursing bra because I have an incision right where the bandssits- I've been wearing a clean baby sock between the band and my skin. :) Good luck!