Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to start excersizing?

So i was banded on jan 4th, i was feeling horrible and by jan 14th i went to the ER with pains in my chest. Found out that due to smoking, birth control and not moving a lot after surgery i had gotten pulmonary emboli (blood clots) in both lungs!

im not on blood thinners and the clinic that moniters my blood levels told me that i shouldnt do more then walking for awhile until we know my lungs are clear, dont want anything moving around and getting stuck somewhere else like my heart.....

my question is how long did u wait until u started excersizing and what did u do?

should i walk then try some stretching stuff or jogging,crunches, etc i have an ab lounge, how long till i can use that? these are questions that my blood center cant answer n im snowed in so i cant even make it to my bariatric dr

You should be up and walking everyday. There is no harm in you going for 15-30 min walks several times a day. You should not be jogging or doing other exercise until your surgeon's office has released you do that. Usually that is about 4-6 weeks after surgery. Don't be in a hurry to do ab crunches, etc. That will have to come much later, I think several months for me. Go carefully into whatever you do, good luck, Karen(kll724).

I'd wait until 6 weeks+ post-op before you do any type of strenuous exercise. Focus on walking maybe jogging for a few minutes here and there.

I think kll724 and reverie gave some sound advice. walk as tolerated even short walks are better than nothing and can be done through out the day. when you speak to your physician';s office find out when you can start to do more strenuous exercises. With a PE you need to move and walking will do that, when you are sitting or lying down do some leg and feet stretches (flexing the feet up and down). Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Walking as much as your able will help you. All other exercise should start after your surgeon clears you.

And I'm probably misunderstanding, but were/are you smoking now, right after surgery? Or were the complications as a result of smoking prior to having surgery (I'm assuming you were required to stop smoking for a certain period of time before you had surgery)?

I don't understand at allll that you are'nt on blood thinners! Whether you can physically get to the doctor's or not CALL THEM!I had a blood clot and the person who tested my blood was a nurses assistant. Sorry but I would give her power over my health. I had a blood clot in the brain. I could'nt speak or use my right hand. PETRIFYING!!!! Get a DOCTORS advice immediatly. Am I trying to scare you yes. I think you should have already seen your surgeon.

I started cardio about 12 days post op. Weights I started about 3.5 weeks post op. Both after given clearance by my doc. So I'd get the ok before you do, especially with the emboli

Just do walking, At my doctors approval I started more strenuous exercise 4 weeks post op