Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 months out....feeling hopeless

Hi Melanie,

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. You sound very discouraged and frustrated, understandably. This is, afterall, a huge commitment, both financially and emotionally. I do have a couple of suggestions for you, and maybe a little perspective.

In June, I will be celebrating my three year Bandiversary. I regularly tell people that it's the best choice I have ever made for myself. I am living at goal weight, and loving life. But it didn't come easily.

I have had three fills. The last fill seemed to put me in a perfect spot, as I coasted to a stop in my weight loss as I approached my goal, and without changing anything I have maintained my weight now for just over 9 months. That's the happy part of the story. The other side is simply a balance. Was it worth it? Oh yeah!

My struggles were:

I couldn't eat anything easily, or quickly, except ice cream and cheetos. Eating a diet of ice cream and cheetos is not conducive to weightloss, plus, my hair starting falling out.

The solution, stop eating ice cream and cheetos, and invest in a variety of Protein supplements. (New whey liquid shots, protein plus bars, protein powder) and keep making the ongoing effort all day of getting in at least 30 grams a day. I discovered by accident, that I could eat a three oz serving of chicken if I cut it into small pieces, and nibbled at it over a couple of hours, allowing as much as 20 minutes between bites. (Yes, I have grown accustomed to eating most of my meals cold.) Armed with the knowledge that I could eat most foods, if the bites were small enough, and the time between was long enough, I started applying the method to everything. I rarely eat out, because of the time issue. I go out often, but I order nothing. I have saved a lot of money this way.

I was lethargic, and listless, which turned out to be a Vitamin deficiency.

The solution: I tried chewables, and liquids. Neither were very palatable, and it was easy to "forget". Then I got gummy vitamins. Children's gummies, which are delicious, and manageable for the band.

I felt like I wasn't eating anything but I also wasn't losing weight as quickly as I had hoped. I started tracking everything using daily plate. I am an easy keeper. I don't need a lot of calories to sustain my body. The more weight I lost, the less calories I needed to consume to keep losing. I was drinking a lot of calories and eating more than I thought. Daily plate helped me realize that I was consuming more than I thought, and a lot of those were empty calories, with little or no value.

I recognize that I will never be able to eat and drink like people do who dont' have the band. I don't miss it most of the time, and every time I hear, "you are so tiny!" I file it away for times when I am feeling deprived.

I hope you find something here that will help you. And by the way, I had my surgery in Mexico, and have had no medical support. My support came from a handful of other bandsters in the area. Maybe you can find a group, or form one.

Good Luck!

Hope Endures!

Hi Fellow Bandsters,

I was banded 3/31/10, 10 months ago. To date, I have lost 20 pounds.

I go into my surgeon religiously every month for a weigh-in and fill. Ususally, I go in soon after a fill for a slight unfill, because I end up not being able to eat or drink.

I chose my surgeon b/c he was labeled as the leading weightloss / LapBand surgeon in AZ. I now wish I NEVER had it.

I am always "stuck", I feel like I can eat MAYBE a meal a day when I'm lucky. Usually, I can't eat more than a bite for my meal at any time of the day. I know that means I'm too full, but when I go into my Dr. to let him know that I cannot eat, and he can't see that I've had a loss, he makes comments like, "Obviously you're eating enough to maintain your weight." "are you measuring?"

Before the band, I worked out 6-7 times a week in a boot camp routine and on my own (hard workouts). Now, I don't have energy or patience to play with my kids, let alone work out. I am EXHAUSTED, so stressed, depressed, short tempered and so so so incredibly frustrated with LOOKING at my food and not being physically able to eat.

I feel like before the band I could make healthy choices on what I ate...now, I'll eat anything that the band will allow, even if it isn't healthy. I can't do it anymore. I am going insane, and it is really messing with me in every aspect of my life!

I joined weight watchers to help with my choices and accountability. I am allowed 41 points/day. I can manage to eat 5-8...and if I get stuck I cannot drink Water either. No one at work knows I have the band, but they've all created a new saying about people who aren't hungry...."You're pulling a Melanie today. You're just going to absorb your food by staring it down."

I see my Dr. again on Thursday. I need some support/advice on what to tell him about how I'm feeling because I feel like he really doesn't listen to me or believe that I really am STARVING TO DEATH. He just thinks I'm making bad food choices, but the truth of the matter is that my metabolism is completely SHOT and in starvation mode. How can I get him to listen and really hear what I'm saying without the judgement and preconcieved notion that I'm lying?!?!?

Thank you for all your comments.

Melanie

Hi Fellow Bandsters,

I was banded 3/31/10, 10 months ago. To date, I have lost 20 pounds.

I go into my surgeon religiously every month for a weigh-in and fill. Ususally, I go in soon after a fill for a slight unfill, because I end up not being able to eat or drink.

I chose my surgeon b/c he was labeled as the leading weightloss / LapBand surgeon in AZ. I now wish I NEVER had it.

I am always "stuck", I feel like I can eat MAYBE a meal a day when I'm lucky. Usually, I can't eat more than a bite for my meal at any time of the day. I know that means I'm too full, but when I go into my Dr. to let him know that I cannot eat, and he can't see that I've had a loss, he makes comments like, "Obviously you're eating enough to maintain your weight." "are you measuring?"

Before the band, I worked out 6-7 times a week in a boot camp routine and on my own (hard workouts). Now, I don't have energy or patience to play with my kids, let alone work out. I am EXHAUSTED, so stressed, depressed, short tempered and so so so incredibly frustrated with LOOKING at my food and not being physically able to eat.

I feel like before the band I could make healthy choices on what I ate...now, I'll eat anything that the band will allow, even if it isn't healthy. I can't do it anymore. I am going insane, and it is really messing with me in every aspect of my life!

I joined weight watchers to help with my choices and accountability. I am allowed 41 points/day. I can manage to eat 5-8...and if I get stuck I cannot drink Water either. No one at work knows I have the band, but they've all created a new saying about people who aren't hungry...."You're pulling a Melanie today. You're just going to absorb your food by staring it down."

I see my Dr. again on Thursday. I need some support/advice on what to tell him about how I'm feeling because I feel like he really doesn't listen to me or believe that I really am STARVING TO DEATH. He just thinks I'm making bad food choices, but the truth of the matter is that my metabolism is completely SHOT and in starvation mode. How can I get him to listen and really hear what I'm saying without the judgement and preconcieved notion that I'm lying?!?!?

Thank you for all your comments.

Melanie

I was banded 12/16 - I have lost 23 lbs...so happy. I just had my second fill yesterday. After my first fill I could eat nothing but mushie for 3 days, Had my second fill yesterday and sure enough I have not been able to eat anything today except musshie...oatmeal (liquidy) got stuck...I tough it out for a few days and then I seem fine. More than anything I want this to work and I have to continually remind myself of my goal. The only episodes I have had have been self induced - eating too much too fast. My doctor and more importantly his staff have been there for me for every question I have had...maybe you want to find a new doctor?

Wow... how awful. You have to see your doctor and really, really insist that there is a problem. It is simply rediculous that he doesn't listen to you. If he does not have some serious advice for you on your next visit and some actual concern/solutions for your situation I would most definately find another doctor. UNREAL! Good luck to you, keep us posted.

Hi I had my lap band in March of last year. I have had many of the same struggles even throwing up blood. Had my band checked to see if it had slipped nothing. So i had some taken out and started weight watchers also. I couldnt eat enough points. So i have just tried to start over with Protein Drinks and what food i can eat i eat slowly. There is a good book out there to read Weight Loss Surgery by Robert Swewell and Linda Rohrbough. Please feel free to e-mail me at jcolell@msn.com because you sound just like my story.