Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boxing, Wrestling, or MMA

Hi!

I am totally new to this forum as of 5 min ago and i am considering different WLS. The one that I have thought was the best one for me so far is banding, but I have a quick question or two.

One of the reasons I want to lose weight so bad is it is a lifelong dream for me to Box or compete in some MMA tournament and I'm worried after this surgery it could be deadly. Everything I read says that you should be able to do anything, but I'm concerned about a kick or punch in the stomach...or while grappling and doing various holds that require squeezing around the body...it could move.

Please...I really want to make the right decision and I'd love to do the surgery, but if you tell me, no..I'll never be able to box or do any of that type of activity...I don't think I'll end up doing it :(

thanks in advance guys!!!

also...i say compete, but i probably will never compete. i dont think im going to be the next world champion or something..i just dont want to be rolling around wrestling and pull something during practice/training. its a great workout and a ton of fun...but i dunno. i also think im going to do the lap band either way..i just want your opinions. thanks everyone

Hum, ya know, I couldn't tell you. I will give you a number to call and they may be able to answer your question. If they can and you are able to to mma boxing etc, then you may even be able to go through the process of getting the lap band with them. This is the # 1-800-248-5553 This number is for the bridges center of surgical weight loss. Just tell whoever answers that you have some questions about exercise after the band and that you haven't had surgery yet. They should be able to help you. I really hope this works out for you. I just got the band 6 days ago now and I have never been happier.

Best of luck!

Hum, ya know, I couldn't tell you. I will give you a number to call and they may be able to answer your question. If they can and you are able to to mma boxing etc, then you may even be able to go through the process of getting the lap band with them. This is the # 1-800-248-5553 This number is for the bridges center of surgical weight loss. Just tell whoever answers that you have some questions about exercise after the band and that you haven't had surgery yet. They should be able to help you. I really hope this works out for you. I just got the band 6 days ago now and I have never been happier.

Best of luck!

I don't do MMA, but I do Kuk Sool Won which includes getting kicked, and ground grappling. I have never had a problem. I have take a couple of good kicks right on the port as well.

Of course my port is turned sideways so it sticks out quite a bit.

If it concerns you too much you could always wear body armor.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Sparring_Gear/Martial_Armor/Martial_Armor_L2_Vest.aspx

That's what this site is for. =) I'm sure one day in one way or another you'll have helpful info for a newbie like yourself. ;) And please do still call. They may be able to help more than you expect. Think up some more questions that you may want to ask them, too! =)

Hey Son

Besides being a full time medic, I am a 2nd Dan black belt in Tae Kwon do and teach classes to all age groups 3-5 times a week. I will tell you that though I have no pain in performing martial arts a kick or punch directly to the port site does sting a little, Though there is no way to damage the band or the port you can and usually will have some tenderness at the port especially in sparring. That being said i have learned to block a lot better :)

Hi!

I am totally new to this forum as of 5 min ago and i am considering different WLS. The one that I have thought was the best one for me so far is banding, but I have a quick question or two.

One of the reasons I want to lose weight so bad is it is a lifelong dream for me to Box or compete in some MMA tournament and I'm worried after this surgery it could be deadly. Everything I read says that you should be able to do anything, but I'm concerned about a kick or punch in the stomach...or while grappling and doing various holds that require squeezing around the body...it could move.

Please...I really want to make the right decision and I'd love to do the surgery, but if you tell me, no..I'll never be able to box or do any of that type of activity...I don't think I'll end up doing it :(

thanks in advance guys!!!

Not trying to rain on your parade..... The tubing that carries the saline from the port to the band might get hit and crack.. If you can live with that and just know you would have to go in for replacement tubing,,, that's up to you... My port is in the front near the navel. You might want to find out from your Dr. exactly were everything is going to be, on your side or in the front. I would seriously tell him that I am 100% active in what ever you do "I REALLY DON'T KNOW, CAN IMAGINE THOUGH" and simply ask him can you continue on. It will only help you with him and his location of lines, and port. Hope this helps.

It's so funny that you posted this because I was going to post about MMA stuff, too. Yeah, I don't really see much of anything wrong with it. It's an incredible workout, too.