Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

average # of fills

Lmom1980
Sign in to follow this  

what do you think is the average # of fills a person needs before they are just right? Will I spend the rest of my life filling and unfilling, or will I find that spot and be good for life?

what do you think is the average # of fills a person needs before they are just right? Will I spend the rest of my life filling and unfilling, or will I find that spot and be good for life?

I have a realize band. I had my surgery this past October and have had 5 fills and am still not at that sweet spot but I am getting close. Good luck.

My clinic will only do .25 cc at a time and I am at 7.25 in a 10 cc band, so I lost count, it took me 7 months to get to this point. FINALLY at 7.25 It felt tight for about 10 days and it was hard to get stuff down. I really had to work with it by drinking hot liquid before every meal, having Protein Drink for Breakfast, thick stews for lunch and dinner and then it loosened up a bit. I wondered if I should go get unfilled a bit but I was hesitant because I knew that 7 was not enough so I figured it out and I am glad I did. I did not feel hungry and was able to stay between 900 and 1300 calories with no problem a matter a fact I had to work to get over 1,000 in the 10 days. I lost about 3 pounds a week doing that. Now, 3 weeks later I am noticing that I am getting hungry and it is hard to maintain 1300 with no hunger. I am sure I gave you far more info than you asked for but I hope it gave you somewhat of an answer!

The normal cycle of fills, restriction and weight loss is as follows:

1. The patient's Lap-Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a “Delayed Action” of up to 4 weeks. A “Delayed-Action” means that the fill may not become effective for up to 4 weeks after the fill. That is why the ALLERGAN protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill.

2. The patient's stomach capacity is lessened as a result of the restriction caused by the Lap-Band.

3. The patient loses weight because they cannot eat as much food.

4. The residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the outside of the patient's stomach reduces in size because of the overall weight loss in the patient.

5. The reduction of the residual fat-pad causes the Lap-Band to become loose again.

6. At that point, the patient needs another fill, because the Lap-Band is loose, and the patient has a loss of restriction, which allows the patient to eat larger amounts of food.< /p>

7. The patient receives another fill and the process starts all over again.

Most Lap-Band patients receive several fills to adjust the Lap-Band as their weight loss progresses, and there is less and less residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the exterior of the stomach wall. Once a patient has lost all of their residual fat-pad, fills become less common. As the Lap-Band patient progresses in their weight loss, the effect of very tiny fills (Less than .2ccs) becomes greater and greater.

I've have 5 fills and am at 6.75cc in a 14 cc band. I'm not the "sweet" spot but do have some restriction. Mostly right now its will power and listening to my body. I do get hungry but if I eat slow I'm fuller longer so I can eat waaayyyy less then before surgery.

I have had 1 fill with 5.5ccs in a 11cc band so it's different for everyone... I could probably use a tad more, but I'm never hungry!

It took 8 flls to get to 7.3 and I had a delayed reaction with this last one like the other poster was describing. I feel like I am in a good place. I lost 11 pounds right after my last fill very quickly in 3 weeks and then it stopped. It has taken me 3 weeks to lose 1 pound lol! I got my last fill on Dec. 16 and will not get another one any time soon. I may want a small unfill because of some reflux.

The normal cycle of fills, restriction and weight loss is as follows:

1. The patient's Lap-Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a "Delayed Action" of up to 4 weeks. A "Delayed-Action" means that the fill may not become effective for up to 4 weeks after the fill. That is why the ALLERGAN protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill.

2. The patient's stomach capacity is lessened as a result of the restriction caused by the Lap-Band.

3. The patient loses weight because they cannot eat as much food.

4. The residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the outside of the patient's stomach reduces in size because of the overall weight loss in the patient.

5. The reduction of the residual fat-pad causes the Lap-Band to become loose again.

6. At that point, the patient needs another fill, because the Lap-Band is loose, and the patient has a loss of restriction, which allows the patient to eat larger amounts of food.< /p>

7. The patient receives another fill and the process starts all over again.

Most Lap-Band patients receive several fills to adjust the Lap-Band as their weight loss progresses, and there is less and less residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the exterior of the stomach wall. Once a patient has lost all of their residual fat-pad, fills become less common. As the Lap-Band patient progresses in their weight loss, the effect of very tiny fills (Less than .2ccs) becomes greater and greater.

This is good info and makes sense. But do the fills every completely end? I mean once I hit my goal weight and the fat pad doesn't change anymore do I still have to get it filled even if .2ccs is all it takes? Won't it eventually get to capacity and can't be filled anymore? How many years of fills am I looking at here?