Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like i'm doing it wrong

So banded 1/13, post op pretty good. had to go home on oxygen because my sats weren't coming up. Ok. now my swelling is going down, and I'M HUNGRY! i feel like i'm cheating when i eat! i'm still eating lots of Soups, i've had some tuna today, some chicken breast yesterday, soft lunch meat, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, yogurt....I ate some tortilla chips without realizing it and now i'm all paranoid. I've lost 13.9 pounds since the week before surgery. But i'm wondering if i should be losing more? Or is this normal til my first fill? I called the nutritionist and she said for me to lay off the shakes and soups, eat more dense Proteins which i am.

I guess i feel like i should be restricted by certain foods now and i'm not really? not really sure....i fill up faster of course...but i've not been really watching my nutritional intake except for Protein (65 grams daily).

I guess you hear of all these people who drop 30 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I'm not doing that. lol Tell me i'm ok or normal...or what i should be doing!

Hello, I was just banded on the 21st. I started on my liquid yesterday, other than clear. I've noticed that other than my broth, everything I was taking in was sweet. I chose to drink a little Pickle Juice to get my " salt" fulfillment. Not sure if that makes any sense but to me it did. :) I have to watch myself cause sodium for me is a big bloat! It makes me retain like crazy. I'm sure you may be hungry, are you writing down what you are eating other than Protein? Are you getting enough protein? Are you drinking enough in between to satisfy your thirst or is it really hunger? I've read that is a big one, being able to tell the difference. We are all here learning and here for support. I'm sure you will be fine. Keep up the good work. 13.9lbs lost is better than gained. One day at a time and keep your eye on the prize! Good Luck, your fill will come sooner than you think. :rolleyes:

So banded 1/13, post op pretty good. had to go home on oxygen because my sats weren't coming up. Ok. now my swelling is going down, and I'M HUNGRY! i feel like i'm cheating when i eat! i'm still eating lots of Soups, i've had some tuna today, some chicken breast yesterday, soft lunch meat, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, yogurt....I ate some tortilla chips without realizing it and now i'm all paranoid. I've lost 13.9 pounds since the week before surgery. But i'm wondering if i should be losing more? Or is this normal til my first fill? I called the nutritionist and she said for me to lay off the shakes and soups, eat more dense Proteins which i am.

I guess i feel like i should be restricted by certain foods now and i'm not really? not really sure....i fill up faster of course...but i've not been really watching my nutritional intake except for Protein (65 grams daily).

I guess you hear of all these people who drop 30 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I'm not doing that. lol Tell me i'm ok or normal...or what i should be doing!

I'm sure you will read this all over the place but the first month is about healing and learning your band. I've been told that's the main focus and losing weight (in the first month) is just an added bonus. I lost about 9 pounds pre-op and when I went in for my check up two weeks after surgery, I was only down one more pound. I was a little frusterated but had been doing everything my doctor told me to do. Then the next week I lost 6.8 pounds and 12.25 inches. This week I'm back up a pound (assuming that's period weight). So basically, as hard as it is to do, try not to compare yourself to all the stories you read hear. I go the gym every week and have been since about 7 days after surgery. I have been lifting weights as well and my nurse told me that I may not see the numbers as much on the scale because of this but I am more concerned with size (I have a goal size) not so much weight. If that's what you're working towards, start measuring and keeping track that way. Then, if you don't see the numbers you want or expect on the scale you may get them in inches. It's just another way to stay encouraged and keep on track. Good luck!

I had to reply to this post because I have been where you are. I was banded Oct. 15 2010. My total weight loss to date is 24 pounds. 18 of that being pr-op. I was planning on being under 200 by now. I had BIG plans.. Well..........it didnt work that way. Let me start off by saying how it does work. It works different for everyone.

Do not compare yourself to everyone else. For some it is a quick fix and they start loosing big amounts from the time they get home. But then for some (like me) we take it in small amounts. Even gaining along the way. I have had 3 fills and still have not hit the sweat spot. One thing no one ever told me or I failed to get the information on my own was that it may take you several fills before you get to where you have good restriction.

I will say that this month I lost 6 pounds, I am going to the gym 4 times a week. My energy level has sky rocketted. Do not get discouraged. You will get there!!! You do have to change the mind and thats the hardest thing. Good luck and keep us posted.

I lost 10 pounds after the first week and was actually under 300! I was overjoyed... then over the following 3 weeks I gained all that back. Now, I won't even go near a scale because it upsets me so.

I have trouble getting to the gym because I share a car and I have trouble feeling up to going to the gym when I do have the car because I have fibro among other things.

I spoke to a counselor and she told me that I needed a fill... plain and simple. Each person is different.

I wonder sometimes if those who lose so much at first actually lose Water weight during that time. I take diuretics because I retain at the drop of a hat and my heart doctor felt it was necessary. Maybe that is why I am slower to lose... maybe it is because with all the bad weather I can't seem to get out of my coccoon.

I just want to lose weight and am tired of being hungry all the time. I need a fill and will get my first one in a week and a half or so......

I am doing what I can until then..........

This makes me feel good. I'll admit i'm not watching EVERYTHING i eat, but trying to make healthier choices.

Today was 1/2 cup egg beaters southwest with a slice of thin ham in it for Breakfast, Water,

lunch? 1/2 sandwich (chicken fajita from chilis) but no bread, just the cooked chicken and veggies and corn Soup

snack 1 cheese stick

snack 1/2 cup cottage cheese

of course, Water, tea and diet lemonade. i'm full today, i guess i feel like i should be cheating myself of everything. lol

Once your swelling goes down from surgery and before fills you body is the same as it was presurgery. This will be a diet that's all about will power until then. My fingers are crossed that that my fill this week (7th I think) will move me into the "restriction-green zone".

I would agree with your Nut eat as dense a Protein as you can. At 3.5 weeks I believe I could have canned tuna/chicken which I made with laughing cow cheese (this can be microwaved which is nice).