Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EATING AFTER BEING BANDED

I WAS WONDERING - AFTER BEING BANDED IS IT MORE IMPORTANT TO CONCENTRATE ON Proteins, CARBS, SUGARS, CALORIES, OR ALL? I DO HAVE DIABETES TYPE 2 BUT HAD THE MEDS DISCONTINUED AFTER SURGERY. I AM AFRAID IF I DON'T WATCH CALORIES OR SUGAR, IT WILL GET BAD AGAIN? ANY ADVICE?

I was told Protein Protein Protein. My diet is sugar free and fat free full liquids. I plan on staying that way simply because the detox from caffiene and sugar was so rough on me. But i would ask your doc what they prefer.

oK - thanks for the advise! :)

I agree with the previous poster, I was told Protien. I am also type 2 but my doctor kept me on my Insulin and d/c my metformin. I had a person who has been banded and her Doctor stopped the Insulin because it slows the wt loss down. I am going to speak with my Doctor tomorrow and find out.

me too. I am 3 1é2 years out from banding....

Protein, FIRST, then Veggies, then if I still have room.... starches (Complex carbs)

No Sugar!!! It is poison!!!

I track myself on Sparkpeople.com (free site) and I always make sure I have 60 grams of Protein each day minimum... also I stick to 100-1200 cals per day over all.

Hope that helps

I WAS WONDERING - AFTER BEING BANDED IS IT MORE IMPORTANT TO CONCENTRATE ON Proteins, CARBS, SUGARS, CALORIES, OR ALL? I DO HAVE DIABETES TYPE 2 BUT HAD THE MEDS DISCONTINUED AFTER SURGERY. I AM AFRAID IF I DON'T WATCH CALORIES OR SUGAR, IT WILL GET BAD AGAIN? ANY ADVICE?

May I ask why they discontinued your meds? I'm type 2 also and I still have to take my meds. My PCP said in a few months I may be able to stop taking some.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and still on insulin and pulls . My dr. Said to make sure I write everything down and as my numbers get better I may come off my meds. Honestly I'm not doing very well and I really need to get my act together or this would have all been for nothing. I had my surgery on march 20 th 2012 and lost 12 pound since but gaining back .. The insulin makes it so hard to lose weight ...I'm just tired !

I'm type II and stopped taking insulin on the pre-op diet and haven't needed to start it again yet at 2.5 weeks post surgery. I also haven't needed metformin although my doc tells me it will speed up weight loss.

My bs readings have all been normal since surgery. But I'm only on mushies so might change when I go back on normal foods.

:)

If I find I really can't eat anything with out getting stuck .. Do I need to get a fill removed ?

I was type 2 diabetes and was on the full dose of metformin, as my weight decreased so did my need for metformin, however there is research , not sure where from but if u stop metformin too early it can lead to some weight gain, metformin does support your liver functions and help with some weight loss so dont be too hasty to stop it completely unless your sugar levels deem it. My suagr is normalised now completely but iam still taking 1 metformin of a night and in a few months i shall stop that one too, i could have stopped over a year ago but chose not to and have been happy with my weight loss and my doctors support. U can overload on Protein as a diabetic and i would stick to whatever it is recommended u have it is normally around 45 to 60 grm per day spread over the day. Your body has difficulty metabolising more than around 25 to 30 grms of protein per session and the best time to get your protein working for you is after at least 45 mins work out within an hour. Too much protein will metaboilise into glucogen and then get stored as fat. I still eat low carb/low sugar /low fat even tho i am on maintenance now and feel fine. Always discuss with your doctor reducing medication and the amount of nutrients they say you should have .. good luck to u all to get rid of nasty diabetes but i hope u are all on your way to kicking out your lives forever :)