Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarians and Vegans

I recently discovered Gardein (http://www.gardein.com/) vegetarian and vegan Proteins. They are just like chicken, beef, etc. and taste great. It's an easy way to get your Protein in - and because they're very meat like you can share with your meat eating family if yours does.

I've taken pieces of the orange chicken, sauteed them, added a multigrain mix, some sauce, and it's a great little meal. And it breaks down nicely when chewed so it doesn't get stuck.

It makes me sad to see the bad advice of some of the dieticians! Some of them are basing their advice on very outdated info! Unless you are chasing it down, killing, butchering, and cooking it yourself you really dont need to be eating meat. Even Mike Tyson is a vegan! I'm not saying its bad to eat meat but for dieticians to encourage meat eating is not nutritionally sound!

I saw the surgeon and dietitian today for the very first time. I am more than dissatisfied with the dietitians advice for vegetarian/vegans. For the next 6 months, they want me to follow a liver reduction diet, which for a vegan, reduced food intake to soy and some vegetables. No fruit, no grains. She had little to no knowledge of a vegan diet. My husband has been vegetarian for a year and has made the switch to vegan within the past two weeks. I eat his diet at home, but when I am out I do consume meat. This is going to be very difficult. I'm not sure how to approach all of this.

eating out has been tough. I haven't found much at restaurants except salads. Well, I may be able to tolerate italian food, but I'm really trying to stay away from the Pasta. What I'm really enjoying when I go out is mexican food that is bean based. I don't have much trouble with rice but again, I'm trying to stay away.

If you're a veggie be careful with Mexican restaurants since most use lard and may hide chicken broth in unexpected veggie dishes.

2 wks in veggie fan after reading this book Skinny B*****

So excited to find this thread!).

I've been a vegetarian for the past 17 years. My nutritionist is excited to work with me since she said I'm her first vegetarian bander.

I was surprised that I am her first since she has been working with band patients for 10 years.

Hi everyone! I was banded 12-31-12 (NYE). I have yet to meet with my "nutritionist"...the dr is insisting on this as I have lost almost no weight since surgery. I am at 202 lbs still. I am dreading this nutritionist visit because I have been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian since age 9...so going on 21 years. Non of my family is vegetarian. I just kind of woke up one day and said I wasn't going to eat meat anymore and I never have. I don't do most yogurt either as I do not eat anything with Gelatin in it. I have found one Greek Yogurt that does not contain Gelatin so I am happy about that. When I got pregnant with my first 2 kids the doctors panicked when they found out i was a vegetarian and rushed me off to a nutritionist. both times she was not able to tell me anything i didn't already know.

I am not optimistic that this nutritionist will do anything other than try to talk me in to eating meat again. That is not happening. Anyways,the P.A. at my dr office keeps trying to tell me it is unlikely i will ever lose weight on the band being a vegetarian...not because i can't get enough Protein, but because the density of vegetarian foods will not stimulate the nerves to make me feel full like meat will. Can anyone give me some advice on filling vegetarian foods/meals and encouragement on how you have lost weight with a vegetarian diet? I am not really wanting to listen to anyone tell me to start eating meat again or explain why i can't lose weight without meat! People who eat meat just try to get me to do it their way.

Hi everyone! I was banded 12-31-12 (NYE). I have yet to meet with my "nutritionist"...the dr is insisting on this as I have lost almost no weight since surgery. I am at 202 lbs still. I am dreading this nutritionist visit because I have been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian since age 9...so going on 21 years. Non of my family is vegetarian. I just kind of woke up one day and said I wasn't going to eat meat anymore and I never have. I don't do most yogurt either as I do not eat anything with Gelatin in it. I have found one Greek Yogurt that does not contain Gelatin so I am happy about that. When I got pregnant with my first 2 kids the doctors panicked when they found out i was a vegetarian and rushed me off to a nutritionist. both times she was not able to tell me anything i didn't already know.

I am not optimistic that this nutritionist will do anything other than try to talk me in to eating meat again. That is not happening. Anyways,the P.A. at my dr office keeps trying to tell me it is unlikely i will ever lose weight on the band being a vegetarian...not because i can't get enough Protein, but because the density of vegetarian foods will not stimulate the nerves to make me feel full like meat will. Can anyone give me some advice on filling vegetarian foods/meals and encouragement on how you have lost weight with a vegetarian diet? I am not really wanting to listen to anyone tell me to start eating meat again or explain why i can't lose weight without meat! People who eat meat just try to get me to do it their way.

Because of the Band...I no longer eat Red meat anymore...ALL of my Dr.'s are Thrilled...and I see 5 of them.....

Why do you feel they will force you to eat meat? Because of the Protein?

No, they will NEVER force me to eat meat...they may try. lol. They have already told me over and over that I have to eat meat if I want to lose weight with the band. not because of the Protein, but because they say meat is more dense and will make me feel full faster.

Thank you Susan.

I would be very curious why a Dr would suggest not being vegetarian after WLS' date=' it's so easy to be vegetarian these days. And you can get more than enough Protein, which is usually the concern. I was a body builder and regularly got 100-120 g per day, only supplemented with a single protien drink after my workouts (40 g) three days a week. Once you know everything has Protein, including fruits and vegetables, it's easier to get those numbers up. Tools like The Daily Plate help as well as they track it for you and you can enter on the go.

I regularly eat ground soy (tacos, shepherds pie, Macaroni/tomato/fake beef, ground turkey patties), stuffed chick'n breasts from Trader Joe's, chick'n patties for a high protein snack, veggie hot dogs, burgers, seasoned and fried tofu (5 lbs of tofu only uses a total of 2-3 tbsp of oil)**, etc. And that doesn't even include Beans, which are great mixed with pretty much anything.

It's just so easy not to eat meat these days but still get all of your nutritional needs met.

** I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested in it, it was inspired by the tofu preparation at the Los Angeles Athletic Club, the tofu can be frozen, thawed, and microwaved and added to anything for protein.[/quote']

Please share recipes! I need more!

I've never struggled with my vegetarian diet. My single greatest struggle has been with evil sugar.

I don't underatand how a meat diet could be more filling (or better in any way to be honest).

I have a recipe group on fb if any of you would like to join. It is a place to post recipes, ideas and suggestions. If you have trouble finding something I will look for it for you. It is not a support group. Please friend me at Hely lb if you would like to join.

I know it has been a while since anyone has posted but I am interested to know what can be done to get a group started for vegatarians who are banded. Ihave looked for information and not much is out there to support this lifestyle change. I was banded in June 2012 and I started by just eating chicken and fish ( I quit eating beef and pork over 20 years ago). About a year ago I deceided that I no longer wanted to eat meat but under went surgery and the Doctors told me that I had to eat meat to promote healing from the surgery. On 1/1/2015 I went straight vegatarian and now I trying to go vegan. This process has proven to be better for me than eating meat. I make a point to eat every 2-3 hours but I make sure they are small meals and high Protein. Although I gained weight from the surgeries due to not being active and medication, I am now back on the wagon to my weight lose goal. :D

Hello everyone,

I am glad you started this thread even though it seems like it has bee a little while since anyone posted. I have had my band for about 5 years and I have been a vegetarian for about 3.5. I actually had my band too tight for over 4 years and they told me this was actually hurting me because now I had to overcome the natural tendency to eat carbs bc they go down easier and being a vegetarian and lacking Protein. I recently got my third adjustment after taking almost all my Fluid out to get relief from heartburn. Now I feel like I am at a great place bc I am not getting overly hungry and fill up easily on Beans, Greek yogurt, and egg whites while still being able to eat great veggies (I could barely eat 3 pieces of broccoli before I figured my fill level out). I love being a vegetarian and I hope to go full vegan in the future, with my band, and losing weight like a rockstar! I would love to join a recipe group on FB if that is still an option. Nice to meet you!

Hi Kamie and vegan friends!!

I love finding more people veg oriented here, i had my vsg a month ago, at the same time, Im starting my compassionate vegan journey im have been a vegetarian for a lot of time but after watching the documentary Earthling, and reading and watching dr. Garth Davis wanted to start my new life with this little stomach and less food anxiety as a vegan :P, has been wonderful, practically no side-effects, no vomits, no nausea, no diarrhea, or dehydration etc... I think respecting other beings life is a beautiful way to cohabit this world, and politically speaking also the way to go..

But im writing in this forum in order to see if there is another vegan available to share their food dairy and progress with me? I´ve been logging my food in cronometer because provides me with specific nutrient information. if someone is interested in that please write me a personal message :P

hugs!! and tons of great vibes for all!!

I know it has been a while since anyone has posted but I am interested to know what can be done to get a group started for vegatarians who are banded. Ihave looked for information and not much is out there to support this lifestyle change. I was banded in June 2012 and I started by just eating chicken and fish ( I quit eating beef and pork over 20 years ago). About a year ago I deceided that I no longer wanted to eat meat but under went surgery and the Doctors told me that I had to eat meat to promote healing from the surgery. On 1/1/2015 I went straight vegatarian and now I trying to go vegan. This process has proven to be better for me than eating meat. I make a point to eat every 2-3 hours but I make sure they are small meals and high Protein. Although I gained weight from the surgeries due to not being active and medication, I am now back on the wagon to my weight lose goal. :D