Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarians and Vegans

eating out has been tough. I haven't found much at restaurants except salads. Well, I may be able to tolerate italian food, but I'm really trying to stay away from the Pasta. What I'm really enjoying when I go out is mexican food that is bean based. I don't have much trouble with rice but again, I'm trying to stay away.

Mexican can be very healthy and filling. Veggies, healthy fat, complete Protein with rice and Beans.

Rice isn't bad per se, plus you'll only eat a tablespoon of it or so.

Any restaurant can make you steamed veggies. Other than that and Pasta most American restaurants won't be able to do much for vegetarians unless you're lacto ovo. We're just not populous enough.

Try to convince people to go for ethnic (Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese), basically anything non American. Or eat before you go out then have just Soup or a small salad if you're hungry and don't eat if you're not. I've experienced issues like that for 16 years.

I had been leaning to vegetarian life style but since I had lap band 4 years ago I have pretty much gone all the way. I do eat small amounts of chicken if I make my family Chicken Noodle Soup and some other Soups just because I cook for my husband. I really like the vegie patties that Cosco has. It was not frozen but I divided up the patties and froze them. I get plenty of Protein with my Protein Shake and my main other source of protein is Beans. I also take a Vitamin D and B12 suppliment in the morning. I find I can tolerate the vegetarian lifestyle better. I read a lot of Dr McDougals info that he has on his site and have his book. Any way you look at it losing weight can be tough.

Pretty much any ethnic food is better than American for vegetarians. Plus it's much more colorful, which generally means there are more Vitamins and nutrients (e.g. multicolored vegetables vs potatoes and bread).

Now if only I could learn how to cook all of that delicious food at home!

I have been a ovo-lactovegetarian off and on for a few years. But since I got my lapband I find I can't eat meat or eggs at all without sliming like crazy! So about a year ago I went back to being a lacto-vegetarian and find it incredibly satisfying, both mentally and physically. I coudn't be a vegan, though--I love cheese and dairy products too much!

Hi all!

I am mostly vegan these days, with occasional dash of cheese in weak moments. Its good to hear that this lifestyle can be continued and successful after the LabBand surgery.

I am so interested in this thread. isaviolinist your blog is amazing! I love your writing style and your recipes and suggestions rock!

I am 45 years old and as of about 20 minutes ago, literally, I have this very strong feeling that it is time to give up meat. I will eat seafood and I will continue to eat eggs and dairy but for now I want to remove meat from my diet.

I have 2 nieces that eat this way and I have already told one and she was so happy she wanted to cry. LOL

I have been a meat eater all my life but I think in the back of my mind I have not felt really great about it for the past few years. I figure having been banded 2 weeks ago now is the time to make these changes.

It is nice to meet you all and thank you for sharing all of your wisdom with those of us that are just now joining this lifestyle!

Ever since my 2nd fill on March 23rd I've found that I can barely eat anything.

However, I can eat fish just fine. And veggie taco salad. And veggie deli slices with mustard.

All relatively healthy things. It's nice to eat to live rather than be living to eat.

I was just wondering where the vegetarians hang out on here :)

I just got banded on Aug. 2nd and I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years. I eat dairy & if eggs are in things and i can't taste them, then i'll eat them.

When I started my lap band meetings i told the nutritionist that "I am a vegetarian and i absolutely will not change that". She laughed and said she'd be happy to work with me. That was a relief since I'd been trying to find a nutritionist or a dietician to help me lose weight for about 2 years that wasn't disappointed that I wouldn't change to fit their plan exactly.

I've also recently become gluten intolerant. yippee

So, what do i eat, you ask? I eat a lot of tofu. I also like tempeh, there are a few Quorn brand products that don't have gluten, the pre-seasoned tofu in packets are very good (especially the red curry one and the TSSS one is mega spicy and good), quinoa instead of rice all day long, there are a couple of vegan sausages that are damn good & gluten free, I eat TONS of cottage cheese, the trader joe's fresh tofu burgers are great, Dr. Praeger's california veggie burgers are also very good when grilled, and soyrizo... i love love love soyrizo.

Add me as a friend :)

Karyn

I was just wondering where the vegetarians hang out on here :)

I just got banded on Aug. 2nd and I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years. I eat dairy & if eggs are in things and i can't taste them, then i'll eat them.

When I started my lap band meetings i told the nutritionist that "I am a vegetarian and i absolutely will not change that". She laughed and said she'd be happy to work with me. That was a relief since I'd been trying to find a nutritionist or a dietician to help me lose weight for about 2 years that wasn't disappointed that I wouldn't change to fit their plan exactly.

I've also recently become gluten intolerant. yippee

So, what do i eat, you ask? I eat a lot of tofu. I also like tempeh, there are a few Quorn brand products that don't have gluten, the pre-seasoned tofu in packets are very good (especially the red curry one and the TSSS one is mega spicy and good), quinoa instead of rice all day long, there are a couple of vegan sausages that are damn good & gluten free, I eat TONS of cottage cheese, the trader joe's fresh tofu burgers are great, Dr. Praeger's california veggie burgers are also very good when grilled, and soyrizo... i love love love soyrizo.

Add me as a friend :)

Karyn

[/quote

Hi there!!

I am vegan/Veg~ its been really easy with the band. I have not had any problems at all ~ I eat rice, tempeh, tofu, corn on the cob ~ you name it. I was banded April 6th and am down 60 pounds! woo hoo! I think we have have an easier time with the band b/c we dont have to chew the hell outta meat. I also do lots of Beans n rice and killer Protein shakes ( spirutein vanilla, froz blue berries, lite soy milk, apple juice, green vibrance, and flax meal ~ yummmmm)

If you have any questions or want to trade recipies ~ feel free to email me vsaun@msn.com or follow my blog ~ http://athenabandedwarrior.blogspot.com/

Congrats on the band!

Vanessa

karynj: there are a ton of gluten free products available, you should have no issues finding healthy and delicious foods. Try talking with local chefs as well, they can help you with gluten free recipes using vegetarian products that taste great.

Congratulations Vanessa!

Just in case anyone is interested... a great website: www.nomeatathlete.com (thanks CHI_Girl).

I'm training for a triathlon and my body is holding on to weight. Six days a week, I'm running, biking, swimming and doing cross-fit style strength training and haven't lost a pound in about a month! I'm feeling stronger but kind of disappointed that the scale is the same. I keep telling myself that it is about getting fit, not losing weight. Some days it works, others it doesn't!

I'm heading towards vegan and hoping I can work this properly so I can fuel myself well enough for all this training. Today is clean out the kitchen day to get rid of any non-vegan items. I don't have much but I need to get it done.