Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoe size shrinking?

I'm not banded yet, but when you lose weight, do your feet shrink? My feet have gotten so wide that I literally can't find any shoes that fit. I will have to go to a specialty store to get them made, but I can't affford it. I am ashamed to say that I usually own one pair of shoes at a time and wear them until they fall apart or stink so bad I have to toss them. Right now I buy cheapies at payless but have to get them 1-2 sizes too big which makes me trip often.

Mine havent changed on the way up so probably wont on the way down, but I have size 10 feet which is pretty much the largest easily available women's shoe here (its about a 41-42 in your sizes). And I'm supposed to wear orthotics which makes it pretty darn hard to find nice shoes that fit.

Summer is awful since I dont wear closed in shoes at all but I've developed a new obsession, birkenstocks, which are cheap as chips on US ebay and there's so many nice sizes and styles and most of them have a buckle adjustment so you can alter the width to suit your feet. You can buy them here but they're way over $100 AUD a pair.

I'm an insomniac tonight so I did a little online shopping for you... Try zappos.com. They have all sorts of shoes available in really wide styles (Up to EEEEE I think). They are more expensive than Payless, but they did have one tennis shoe on sale for $39. Free shipping too. If it lasts longer and keeps you from tripping it will probably be worth it, lol.

Oh yeah, and your feet and ankles will definitely shrink in width as the pounds come off! :confused:

They will shrink in width indeed, which will let you buy shoes closer to your own size. I thought mine were shrinking in length and bought two pairs of shoes a half-size smaller, but I have to admit they just don't fit. But a lot more shoes IN my size fit, so it's really broadened my horizons. I've even started wearing heels sometimes (making me north of 6' tall)!

I used to wear a size 9 1/2 shoe, Then I had my first son 4 years ago and went up to a size 10, after my second was born I was a size 11, now that I have lost 107 lbs I am back in a 10 and can only hope after I lose more I'll be able to get comfortably into my cute 9 1/2's I saved.

I was having to buy 7's before my weight loss, now I'm back down to 6.5 or 6, which was my original size. I can also buy some regular widths, but I've always had what I call 'Flintstone' feet.. :confused:

It helps. I've even been able to buy some 'girly' shoes for dresses, for once in my adult life. Amazing how bad my feet actually are, however, from carrying the weight. :) There are still minimal choices for the type of shoe I can actually wear for more than an hour.

Yep, foot shrinker here, too. I ordered some LLBean shoes in an 81/2 and had to send them back for 8's, which is what I used to wear. I can't imagine getting into a 71/2 anymore...haven't seen that since my 20's, but I suppose it's possible. The width is the big issue. Then, I only wear flat comfy shoes, sneakers, etc. No strappy heels for me. I broke my left foot in a car accident many years ago so there's my excuse. :confused:

I am shrinking from the top down and the bottom up. Waist to knees is last to go. sigh.

Yep.. my feet are shrinking!... just bought a new pair of sneakers and went from a 9 1/2 to a 8 1/2... I have lost 45lbs...

My feet have shrunk from 8.5W to 7.5 or 8 depending on the shoe.

Zappo's is really great. I have never gotten anything from there but my husband shops with them all the time and he loves their shoes and service.

Too funny for whoever make the Fred flinstone reference, my DH always tells me "Well lets go, go start the car" lmao. I am only down about 15 but rings are turning everywhere around my fingers, bra is in the last notch, and YES shoes are comfortable again. Some of my tighter ones even fit again. I have miraculously lost a lot of Water retention with this.

My feet are shrinking as well. I've always been able to wear the same size as my mom, but that's because her feet are longer than mine, and I needed the bigger shoes to go around the width of my feet. Some of my shoes are too big, and I've got new ones in a size I haven't seen since I was a young teenager. :P

Mine are shrinking too! Before the band, the only shoes I could wear were Birkenstocks. My DH bought me a pair of cowgirl boots for Christmas & they fit!! I haven't been able to wear boots in 14 years! I was amazed!