Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have my date and cold feet

From the moment I made the decision to get banded to help me fight :rambo my lifelong battle with weight I was convinced that it was the way to go. I continued to research, went to seminars, had consultations with a couple of surgeons in my area, posted and read postings in LapBandTalk, and did everything I my surgeon asked me to do before she would do the surgery. Thursday was one very happy day for me. I called my surgeons office and was told to cancel all my appointments on Jan. 23rd because I was going to be getting banded on that day YEEESSSSS..YEEEHAA :) I am so excited I can hardly stand it. My friends and family are so supportive and excited and happy for me. Heck, even during our New Year celebrations they were all discussing the different foods and liquids I could have during my different stages and ways they were going to help make me comfortable during my first few days after being banded.

Okay, will someone please tell me why I am getting cold feet if I want this as much as I do, I have all the support from family and friends a person could want or need, and I have a WONDERFUL surgeon here in the US. For the past few months I have seen and read nothing but positive posts. Sure there have been a few minor complications here and there, but I really didn't notice anything really serious. Now all I seen to see and read are negative postings. Everything from gas pains to band removals. I have looked at the polls and I see the overwhelming number of members who are completely satisfied with their band and I have carefully read postings from the members who have had complications and gave explanations as to why they think they developed their complications. Don’t get me wrong here. I am still going through w/this, but I am freaking out a little bit about it these days. :confused: As a rule I am a very up, confident, and positive person, so this cold feet thing is kinda new territory for me. Does anyone thing I am just more sensitive to the negative because my date is finally a reality? Does anyone have an opinion to my cold feet and nervousness? :nervous

I got nervous after I joined this site and I am still a little nervous. However, I know that if I follow my doctor's instructions and follow the general rules, I should be okay. I also had my surgery done by a very reputable surgeon who has been doing this for a few years and who is very strict (one month of Clear Liquids following, for one).

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Nervousness is very normal. I would be worried if you were calm. I was very nervous right up until I went in to get ready for surgery then I just had to remind myself I was doing this for my health and everything would be ok. It is relatively an easy surgery. So unless you have major health issues right now I would not worry about a thing. If you have complete trust in your Dr. and you have went over any comobilities and he is cofident then you just need to sit back and relax.

I hope everything goes great for you.. keep us posted

its a huge life change and you'd be nuts not to be nervous about it. Surgery is scary too - I've had several small surgeries before and never given it a moments thought, heck, both my daughters and my life were probably at way more risk when I had my caesar (which was elective) and I calmly walked into the hospital for that one. I was literally shaking and getting very teary right before my surgery, kept thinking about my 3 beautiful kids and the fact that I was going under and it wasnt strictly necessary, what if something happened?

But generally speaking its a very very safe surgery, and since it was done, I'm on cloud 9. The changes I've had to make, I would have had to make anyway if I were to ever lose weight and keep it off. That's the truth, you have to do it all anyway, if you want the result, that lifestyle change has to come and there can be no going back. Getting banded simply makes it easier.

Don't worry Wendiss, you're going to do great! It's a rare person who doesn't get freaked out shortly before the actual surgery. :confused: And a rare person who is unhappy about having had it done if you ask them 6 months+ afterwards. [at least from what I've seen on the boards and groups I'm on. I concede that there might be some rabidly po'd people out there who just don't frequent any support areas due to their foaming-at-the-mouth hate of anything band related]

:banana congrats on having a date! :banana

I"m getting banded on the 24th, and I'm feeling exactly the same way. I want this really badly and it was a decision I reached after much thought and research...but I'm still nervous. I think more than the surgery I'm almost mourning the fact that my relationship with food will never be the same...and the unknown is always scary. We'll have to compare notes post surgery!

Emily

You've done your research, and soul searching, and made a healthy decision. You have to let go of one side of the pool to get to the other side. You are nervous, of course. But getting to the other side is worth it, and you must know that or you wouldn't have done all you have to get a surgery date. Accept your nervousness, and trust your decision. We will be here to hold your hand, advise you, and encourage you. All you have to do is reach out, and be willing to learn. You will do great! hang in there! Cindy

You are nervous because

1. You are having major surgery

2. You will be making a major life change

3. For most of us, eating is an emotional issue and you may be losing your major coping mechanism

I don't have a date yet, but I am already getting nervous, if that helps!

If it tells you anything, I cried at Walmart while buying liquids because I was so scared, about surgery and losing my food friend. I'm 6 days out and I am slowly feeling happier by the second. Blessings and prayers to you!

It is only normal for you to feel the way you do, after all, you are going through major surgery. I can only say I am totally happy with my band, and I would do it again in a minute. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Can anyone tell me if drinking Propel is OK for the first 4 weeks. I have my banding on Saturday and must be on liquids after and when I found out no more sodas EVER well that takes some getting use to I wonder about Propel because although it has only 20 calories it has sucrose in it, but thats the only beverage I like now that soda is gone........

Having cold feet is normal & healthy! Congrats on your date!

Henrymd - I have never had propel myself, but I remember seeing lots of posts a few months back about people who were drinking it & actually recommended it during the liquid phase. Good luck!

I know you a little jittery I'm waiting on my date I'm so happy for you ...just know that this is what you want and been waiting so long for and now it's about to come true so heres to Ya!!

Dear Wendy,

You're gonna be alright. I just re-read your profile and you say it for so many of us..... a lifelong struggle with weightloss. I remember the first time I read one of your posts and your way cool list of things to do. Just that has really helped me on my journey. Can you imagine my excitement when I found out that you got your date! :) OK, so I'm envious. If you don't do lapband where will you turn? Keep cool.... write down your thoughts in your journal, buy some new comfy PJ's and rent all the chick flicks that you've been wanting to see(sorry no popcorn at the matinee). Keep busy but focused until the 23rd and if you want to talk on the phone then you can call me! Be a good girl and let us all know that you have kept your date and put some socks on your cold feet. Electronic Hugs being sent.