Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here...tricare...weight issues

Guest amyb66

Guest amyb66

Hello to all of you,

I was told by a lady on my playgroup board (Carrie) to visit you all.

I have read some posts and I am very interested in Lap Banding....and soon, I hope!

We currently live in the D.C. area. I would love to find a doctor here, VA, or in MD...know of any?

Also, I am not even sure that I will be okayed by Tricare as I really am over 100 pounds overweight, but with no other issues...hmmm???

I made an appointment on Jan. 10th with the military (pcp) and I guess really I just need to ask for a referal to go to a bariatric doctor in the area. I think that if she puts a referal through Tricare I will get denied...but, if a bariatric doctor "knows" what Tricare needs, they can help me qualify???

I am really praying hard that I am okayed for this surgery (Lap Band) and that it happens quickly, my wish is within 3 months.

Am I too hopeful??

Please tell me what I can expect from now until I find a doctor to surgury???

How much weight loss is normal?

Is there aklot of pain? scarring?

How long is hospital stay? I have a 1 yr old and would hope to be a day surgery!!!

Please explain to me about fills, how often and what it is for??

Anything else you can offer would be absolutely appreciated!!!

I am very excited to start my journey here and hope to get to know you all :-)

Please tell me about yourself and your journey!

Hopeful....Amy:nervous

Hi Amy, Welocme to LBT!!

For me it took about 6 months from time I decided to get banded to actually get the surgery. Some here on LBT have had it happen a lot sooner. So who knows maybe 3 months isn't to hopeful. :)

EVERYBODY and EVERY SURGEON is different. So what you can expect from now until surgery will differ also. For me I worked with a company called "TWIGS" They did all my paperwork and found me a surgeon. Thank God for them! :) You will probably have to go to several siminars and to a psychiatrist for a psych exam. and then to a nutritionist. It seems like a lot of work but it all paid off in the long run.

About the pain, Well again everyone is different I had some pain but was controlled by liquid childrens motrin. Not much pain at all. When I woke up in recovery I was mad because I thought they didn't do anything. They had and there was pain med. in my IV. But at home I only took the motrin. My surgery was at 8ish am and I was in a room by 10ish. am. Only stayed overnight and was sent home about 2 the next day. I had to stay a little longer because I was having trouble peeing on my own. I had to have a cath put in around 4am. That was not fun! :confused: Couldnt go home till I peed on my own.

I have 5 scars on my stomach, 4 very small ones and one larger one where the port is. Search for scars on the search above and you can see several people have posted pic. of their scars.

As for fills.. That is done about 4+ weeks after placement of your band. We have a port where the Dr. can inject saline into our bands to make it tighter around our stomachs. I have had 6 fills and have 6cc's in right now. Again use the search key and find out lots more on fills. I have a thread called "My 5th fill" Where I posted pic. of my fill. How often you get one just depends of your restriction.

Just keep searching the board and you will get a lot of your questions answered.

Good luch and happy researching!!

Nice to see ya here!!! I hope you find the answers to all your questions.

Your insurance company should be abel to give you a written copy of what their criteria is for covering a lap band. It isn't a secret, you are paying for the policy and it is your right to know.

If tricare requires you to have complications other then weight, then I'd come up with some knee pain real quick and frequent heart burn! You may these things and realize that they are complications.

Hi Amy,

Call your Tricare regional office, but unless things have changed in the last six months, Tricare doesn't cover the Lap Band, only RNY. But, some military hospitals have started Lap Band programs. If I remember correctly, USAFA, Lackland and Walter Reed may have Lap Band programs. Good Luck.

Susan

Wow, first of all... welcome to LBT. As for the questions, it might be better if you get a ton of answers by using the seach button on various topics. Then, read on various posts about the subject. Many of your questions have been asked and it is quite normal to have these type of questions. Also try the FAQ section of the board.

Much luck with your journey, and again.... WELCOME TO LBT!!!

Tricare paid for my banding without any hassles. I know some others have had trouble, but mine sailed right through.

Other issues that might be considered are: joint pain, high cholesterol or lipids, high sugar levels. These will show up in the labwork that your doctor does. Good luck with your search. ChampVA paid for part of my banding.

Jill..... I understand that Tricare paid for your lap band.... what area of the US do you live in ? Which Tricare region.

Thanks

Gretta

I know it's been awhile since you posted this thread. But I am new. I will be getting the band in about 5 weeks. ALL has been approved by Tricare. Pre-op,nutritionist, excercise doc, psychologist, surgery etc.

Get a good PCM and go for it. My air force doc worked her butt off to get me this surgery. I am 300lbs and have several co-morbidities, ie sleep apnea, diabetes, hypertension

GOOD LUCK----Leah

I actually have 2 Tricare plans but I just found this out. I am Tricare Prime because my husband is active duty and since I am disabled and have Medicare Part A I am also Tricare for Life. Don't ask me how opr why, my caseworker found this out while working with Tricare for my approval.

Other issues that might be considered are: joint pain, high cholesterol or lipids, high sugar levels. These will show up in the labwork that your doctor does. Good luck with your search. ChampVA paid for part of my banding.

I am new, my first appt was this week, how much did ChampVA pay? How much did you have to pay? I know it will be different according to what state and what dr. but I was just curious.

I have to pay up front $300 non-refundable for the psychiatric evaluation and dietician class with this doctor. I don't know how much more.