Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months post-op, little weight loss & problems with band

Hello fellow lap-banders,

I am new to the forum and in desperate need of support and advice. I was banded in August of last year, and lost about 20 pounds pre-op. I was very close to 300 pounds prior to that, and I am 5ft 5 inches.

Since banding I have maybe lost 10 pounds (if that) and struggle almost daily. My restriction is great. I have no problem with hunger really... but here's the thing. I bring food back so frequently, usually healthy foods, that I get discouraged and eat what I shouldn't.... which tends to go down easy. Mainly ice ream. My band is not too tight, I can drink fine and sometimes I can eat with no problems. I do try to eat very small bites, chew a lot and eat slowly. However, I am throwing up about every other day, and usually when I am having trouble keeping food down it seems to last for several meals. I cannot eat rice at all, Pasta usually causes me trouble but sometimes is OK. I cannot eat chicken or even ground beef. Yesterday I had 2 bites of a very tender chicken breast and it came back. Tried again about an hour later, same thing.

So I am comfort eating still, even with the band. I struggle with depression and have been overweight since I was about 16. I wish I would have had gastric bypass instead, it's what I wanted but surgeon thought lapband was the best way to go. I feel like I could have skipped the whole surgery and opted for bulimia I throw up so much.

Any advice? I really think the band is not too tight... it's just very frustrating and depressing. I cannot eat any kind of bread or meat. Or Pasta usually. Even veggies cause problems sometimes. So... I know I could probably lose more if I quit eating ice cream and chocolate all together, and exercised more etc etc but I am quite depressed over how often I am getting sick and feel as if I cannot even eat food that is healthy anymore.

Anyone else have this problem?

If you cannot keep food down then you are too tight. When you are too tight unhealthy fatty foods go down better becaUse they are usually slippery and mushy If you cannot eat 4oz of Protein at a meal then the band IS too tight. Keep a journal of your food intake and that will help with weight loss. If you have a phone that has apps on it try the spark people app. Also, are you exercising? YOUR BAND IS TOO TIGHT AND THAT IS THAT! By keeping the band too tight more damage can be caused to your stomach, esophagus and band.

I am new to the forum and in desperate need of support and advice. I was banded in August of last year, and lost about 20 pounds pre-op. I was very close to 300 pounds prior to that, and I am 5ft 5 inches.

Since banding I have maybe lost 10 pounds (if that) and struggle almost daily. My restriction is great. I have no problem with hunger really... but here's the thing. I bring food back so frequently, usually healthy foods, that I get discouraged and eat what I shouldn't.... which tends to go down easy. Mainly ice ream. My band is not too tight, I can drink fine and sometimes I can eat with no problems. I do try to eat very small bites, chew a lot and eat slowly. However, I am throwing up about every other day, and usually when I am having trouble keeping food down it seems to last for several meals. I cannot eat rice at all, Pasta usually causes me trouble but sometimes is OK. I cannot eat chicken or even ground beef. Yesterday I had 2 bites of a very tender chicken breast and it came back. Tried again about an hour later, same thing.

So I am comfort eating still, even with the band. I struggle with depression and have been overweight since I was about 16. I wish I would have had gastric bypass instead, it's what I wanted but surgeon thought lapband was the best way to go. I feel like I could have skipped the whole surgery and opted for bulimia I throw up so much.

Any advice? I really think the band is not too tight... it's just very frustrating and depressing. I cannot eat any kind of bread or meat. Or Pasta usually. Even veggies cause problems sometimes. So... I know I could probably lose more if I quit eating ice cream and chocolate all together, and exercised more etc etc but I am quite depressed over how often I am getting sick and feel as if I cannot even eat food that is healthy anymore.

Have you tried eating canned tuna or other soft Proteins like that so you can at least get something good in you? I love tuna!:) I am not a big meat eater so fish, eggs, and Beans are usually my sources of Protein. They all seem to go down pretty well too. Good luck!

I am in exactly the same boat except that I throw up a few times a day. I have had my band checked for slippage and tightness and it's in the right place and there's lots of room for the food to go down. I either have zero restriction or I'm puking my guts out. I never know what it's going to be on any given day. The idea of the nerve at the top of my stomach being hyper sensitive has been floated, but there has been no real answer to what the problem is. My doctor is stumped. Finally I had to take out a large chunk of fill just so I could eat somewhat normally, so I am now permanently at zero restriction. I'm trying to get rid of my band now and get a revision to something else. What I really want is an answer to what's going on and I won't be getting a revision before somebody can tell me why I'm having so much trouble with the band because a revision is a whole lot more permanent.

I too have not lost any weight other than my pre-op diet weight. I can't even go back to my pre-op diet for a spell because I can't keep those foods down. shakes are a no-go with me as they sit like lead in my stomach and make me sick as a dog.

Hi All

I am very much the same only lost 10lbs and now eating less than half what I ate before and no weight loss. I am very depressed all this money spent and for what.

I have substituted food with ice cream...is that bad? Lol jk. I know it is but I love ice cream and it goes down so much easier than food does! I eat 2 meals a day, a Protein Shake for bfast, and 3-4 scoops of ice cream at night. I haven't been on the scale for weeks but the last time I was I hadn't gained or lost anything. I'm down only 11 lbs since Feb 1, 2011, surgery day. Down 2 sizes though. I think we all lose differently. I have tight restriction but since I no longer have insurance I'm dealing with it until I can't get liquids down.

I'm right there with you too. I've lost a little in my year+ post-op, but more in the 6 months before my surgery.

I know I'm not too tight --- I've been filled and unfilled and am currently unfilled. No restriction that helps with satisfaction, just this thing that sticks and causes pain and vomiting any time I eat any sort of solid Protein (including the aforementioned canned tuna, etc) unless it's mushy and/or "lubricated" with something wet.

Like you, if I wanted the vomit-after-every-meal diet, I would have just gone bulimic. This is the pits.

I have substituted food with ice cream...is that bad? Lol jk. I know it is but I love ice cream and it goes down so much easier than food does! I eat 2 meals a day, a Protein shake for bfast, and 3-4 scoops of ice cream at night. I haven't been on the scale for weeks but the last time I was I hadn't gained or lost anything. I'm down only 11 lbs since Feb 1, 2011, surgery day. Down 2 sizes though. I think we all lose differently. I have tight restriction but since I no longer have insurance I'm dealing with it until I can't get liquids down.

Did you REALLY just say that!?!? 3-4 scoops of ice cream at night? Holy crap. Yes, I guess we do all lose differently, if we're scarfing down 400-800 calories before we go to bed...you do realize that's almost a pint of ice cream, right?