Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your out of pocket for your banding?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was your out of pocket for your banding?

• Medicare paid for the lot
    • $0 - $1,000
    • $1,001 - $3,000
    • $3,001 +

I had my surgery yesterday by Dr Tim Wright at Warners Bay Private. I went to his seminar in December 2006. He will only do it if you have private hospital health cover so I joined in January 2007. That meant I had to wait 12 months but because I attended that seminar I was locked in at $4200. I think it is now $5200. I paid $300 to my anaesthist for the pre visit and I paid $50 for the one night in hospital. I am pretty sure it covers all of my fills but I think I have to pay for my dietician visits.

I paid $3000 for the surgeon which covers the operation and the appointsments for a long time to come.. BUt all the pre appointments, psych, respiratory test, sleep test, dietician etc, cost me nearly $1000 out of pocket, and now i have another $1000 out of pocket for blood tests, anaesthetist, medicines on discharge, one bill says GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS $196. I already put them into Medicare/NIB and only got some back from NIB.. and not much.. i dont understand why Medicare and NIB hardly paid any of these, i thought they would be mostly covered??

(In Melb, Aust)

My surgery cost $2800 (thats how much I was out of pocket after my health insurance and medicare etc)... there was a fee for a surgeon assistant that was another $520, dietician was $300, psychologist/weight loss counsellor was $300. I think I ended up being out of pocket about $3700 after all the health insurance and medicare.

I was banded in Dec 07, By Dr. Paul Anderson at Ashford in Adelaide. It cost me all up $2100, plus $150 for 2 night stay in Hospital (worth every cent....no regrets):thumbup:. Refills are covered in full by my insurance-Medibank Private. Seems to be quite a difference in the surgery costs and whats actually covered by insurance...interesting.

I had my surgery yesterday by Dr Tim Wright at Warners Bay Private. I went to his seminar in December 2006. He will only do it if you have private hospital health cover so I joined in January 2007. That meant I had to wait 12 months but because I attended that seminar I was locked in at $4200. I think it is now $5200. I paid $300 to my anaesthist for the pre visit and I paid $50 for the one night in hospital. I am pretty sure it covers all of my fills but I think I have to pay for my dietician visits.

Well so far I have had 2 fills and they have been bulk billed and my dieticians visits were covered as well. I am not sure how many dieticians visits though... I am sure there is a limited number or it could be just the first year. :thumbs_up:

Don't you hate when americans answer and it doesn't even apply to us here? That really annoys me. Anyway the only thing I've paid for so far is to see my surgeons nurse and to get all the facts before hand because he wouldn't band me unless I saw her (even though everything she told me I already knew) and that was only $100, don't think I can get that back on medicare which is annoying because if I have to pay that to see her and she does the fills I'm probably going to be out of pocket $100 everytime I see her. Grrrr

Butiful princes....here abouts in nsw are you? medicare only pay a very very small amount towards your surgery,can youi take out private health for it as that would save you asubstantial amount even if you take into accont the amount you pay out to the insurance,i took out hcf cover waited the year(it went very fast) and only paid 2x$50 excess per night payments for my surgery BUT it depends on your surgeon as othres with hcf have ben out of pocket any where up to $,5000

Butiful princes....here abouts in nsw are you? medicare only pay a very very small amount towards your surgery,can youi take out private health for it as that would save you asubstantial amount even if you take into accont the amount you pay out to the insurance,i took out hcf cover waited the year(it went very fast) and only paid 2x$50 excess per night payments for my surgery BUT it depends on your surgeon as othres with hcf have ben out of pocket any where up to $,5000

hey scarlettbegonia

i live in wollongong, but im looking for some1 in sydney. I have a friendwho has spoken to a friend that had it done by dr John Jorgensen and she is going really well.

i have private health insurance with lysaght people care and i am with medicare. Lysaght said they will cover me if medicare does. so it was a huge relief that medicare does cover it.

thanks and if u have ne more info about dr in sydney please let me no.

im in people care and hav medium cover.. and im paying $3700 by doc gorgeson in sant gerorge private hos in 5 days..

Hey AUSSIECHIK

You say you are with poeple care (is that lysaght people care??) Im asking because thats what i am with and i am worried i wont be covered.

I am wanting 2 get it done at St George Private by dr John Jorgensen. (is that the one you are talking about??) And did medicare cover any? if so how much??

thanks

Butiful princes

the medicare number you will need to quote to the heath insurance is 30511....thats the number that covers bariatric surgery

xxScarlett