Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this has been discussed to death on here but.......

Why do people feel that banding or GBP is "cheating" or not really losing weight?

How is this tool any different from WW or JC or South Beach?

If obesity is medical condition why should treatment for it be viewed differently than treating any other disease or addiction? If there was a surgery to curb alcoholism or drug addiction would people poo-poo that as cheating?

UGH People are so ignorant. The worst part is that this attitude comes mostly from other obese people. Tad of the green-eyed monster I suspect. Not just over the weight loss, but at the decision to take control over this. Aaarghhh! GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.....

Thank You-Rant over. :)

I have to admit most people I know have been suportive on the surface. Only one person at work came out and claimed it was "an easy way out" becaues he lost weight the regular way. The wierdest part is when I tell people I did medifast shakes to loose 10 percent pre-op they want to know more about the medifast... not the surgery! I know 3 people now who just want to do the medifast shakes part ! I told them its just for fast pre-op weight loss and they are missing out on the most important part! Some people just dont get it

This is one of the main reasons why I don't tell people I had the surgery. My close family knows and thats it. I know that people will always judge and say stupid things and thats why I made the choice to keep my personal business to myself.

I think part of it is because the average person really doesn't know the work that is involved in making the surgeries successful. It really only is a tool in the process. Also, everyone know someone that the surgery didn't work for long term so the it doesn't work anyway attitude rears it's head from time to time. Of course I could be giving human kind to much credit LOL! Thankfully my positive responses have run about 95%.

I'm more surprised at the division I seem to read about the types of weight loss surgeries. Band people vs bypass people etc can be quite opinionated & openly hostile to each others choices! I say it is great we have options to choose what surgery is right for u :)

Its almost like people consider WLS a form of lipo! I had a coworker tell me "oh, so you're taking the easy way out?" recently. After I got over the initial rage, I explained to her that WLS is not easy, in fact, this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. It's not Lipo, you still have to work and damn hard too!!

Tracy, as I've experienced it, the people who think WLS is an easy way out aren't educated on the process. I think it's normal for people to think that any surgery that creates a weight loss situation is somehow getting a leg up on the process. Dieting and "Biggest Loser" gym activity may result in weight loss as well, but there is no guarantee that the weight lost will stay off. Note that Ryan, the Season 1 winner on Biggest Loser has gained back ALL the weight he lost. No surprise for any of us who have dieted unsuccessfully, but kind of a shocker for non-obese people who don't understand how he could possibly let himself get so fat again. Skinny folks (and some fat ones) think that diet and exercise will cure everything. And of course, we all know that just isn't the case for everyone. I tell people I had surgery because I admitted I was unable to lose weight by myself, and I needed help. They note how much weight I've lost so far, and agree that I made the right choice.

Anyone who has a negative opinion hasn't said it to my face, except for one fat old woman phlebotomist at the hospital where I had my surgery. They brought her in to change my IV from one hand to the other, because the vein was closing up. I'm laying there full of stitches and trying to maintain my pain level the night after surgery, and she goes off about how weight loss surgery is a waste of time, and how I should have hypnosis instead, because that is the only thing that works. She blathered on for some time, until I finally asked her to stop talking because I didn't want to hear what she was saying. Talk about insensitive! I complained loudly to the regular nursing staff, and I hope the woman got in trouble. She was WAY out of line, considering she was working in the Bariatric Surgery Center of a major Seattle hospital.

Dave

Tracy, as I've experienced it, the people who think WLS is an easy way out aren't educated on the process. I think it's normal for people to think that any surgery that creates a weight loss situation is somehow getting a leg up on the process. Dieting and "Biggest Loser" gym activity may result in weight loss as well, but there is no guarantee that the weight lost will stay off. Note that Ryan, the Season 1 winner on Biggest Loser has gained back ALL the weight he lost. No surprise for any of us who have dieted unsuccessfully, but kind of a shocker for non-obese people who don't understand how he could possibly let himself get so fat again. Skinny folks (and some fat ones) think that diet and exercise will cure everything. And of course, we all know that just isn't the case for everyone. I tell people I had surgery because I admitted I was unable to lose weight by myself, and I needed help. They note how much weight I've lost so far, and agree that I made the right choice.

Anyone who has a negative opinion hasn't said it to my face, except for one fat old woman phlebotomist at the hospital where I had my surgery. They brought her in to change my IV from one hand to the other, because the vein was closing up. I'm laying there full of stitches and trying to maintain my pain level the night after surgery, and she goes off about how weight loss surgery is a waste of time, and how I should have hypnosis instead, because that is the only thing that works. She blathered on for some time, until I finally asked her to stop talking because I didn't want to hear what she was saying. Talk about insensitive! I complained loudly to the regular nursing staff, and I hope the woman got in trouble. She was WAY out of line, considering she was working in the Bariatric Surgery Center of a major Seattle hospital.

Dave

Wow-that was really insensitive & out of line! You'd think that a bariatric surgery center would have employees who are sensitive & supportive of their patients!

When someone tells me I've taken the easy way out, I always ask them why they believe it's the easy way? They generally end up stuttering all over themselves because they're unable to verbalize a response. I let them swing awhile and then I politely educate them...depending on whether they're ignorant (lack knowledge but can be educated) or stupid (can't be educated because they don't want to be).

I have not been told by anyone that it is the easy way out. Everyone knows I got the band and 100% of them have been supportive. (at least to my face)

This may sound a bit strange to some, but I myself think it's the easy out to some extent. This is the easiest way I have ever taken off weight in my life. Believe me, over the years I have been on every diet you can think of and managed to get morbidly obese. If something works well and is easy for me to do, why would I want to try it the hard way again? I say thank goodness they found an easy way for me to take off more than 100 pounds and keep it off.

I had another thought about this topic I wanted to share.

When I was first exploring whether WLS was for me, I was checking out different websites and the various surgical procedures I could have done. (Band, sleeve, or RNY.) Someone (I wish I could remember who it was) leveled me with a comment to the effect of "In a year or two, after the weight is gone and you're living your new life, all people are going to see is the new, slimmer you. Does it matter at that point HOW you lost the weight? Isn't the point to get control again and be healthy?"

So if some folks want to think WLS is an easy way out, maybe it's not all that big of a deal. They aren't the ones who are in charge of your life. This journey is about YOU, not anyone else.

Just my 2 cents. (Well, three or four... ;))

Dave

I had another thought about this topic I wanted to share.

When I was first exploring whether WLS was for me, I was checking out different websites and the various surgical procedures I could have done. (Band, sleeve, or RNY.) Someone (I wish I could remember who it was) leveled me with a comment to the effect of "In a year or two, after the weight is gone and you're living your new life, all people are going to see is the new, slimmer you. Does it matter at that point HOW you lost the weight? Isn't the point to get control again and be healthy?"

So if some folks want to think WLS is an easy way out, maybe it's not all that big of a deal. They aren't the ones who are in charge of your life. This journey is about YOU, not anyone else.

Just my 2 cents. (Well, three or four... ;))

Dave

Wow Dave never thought of it like that but I totally agree. Best of luck to everyone on this journey.

I have not been told by anyone that it is the easy way out. Everyone knows I got the band and 100% of them have been supportive. (at least to my face)

This may sound a bit strange to some, but I myself think it's the easy out to some extent. This is the easiest way I have ever taken off weight in my life. Believe me, over the years I have been on every diet you can think of and managed to get morbidly obese. If something works well and is easy for me to do, why would I want to try it the hard way again? I say thank goodness they found an easy way for me to take off more than 100 pounds and keep it off.

IMHO I think you consider it the easy way out cuz you finally had your "ah ha" moment and now understand the whole lifetime lifestyle change...

What's diff between the hard way & WLS - they both require that you eat healthy and exercise to lose the weight and to keep it off

Yes our bands made a tough job a little easier - but really the real work was up to us cuz were are the ones making our food choices not the band and we could if we chose to - could eat around it..

For me I finally had the Ah Ha moment and I think that's what has made my journey pretty easy..

IMHO the majority of our issues w/food are in our heads and as any one who is banded knows - it does nothing for head hunger issues...

There are very few people that I've told that I was banded. Really, only my family and a couple of close friends know. I haven't told my in-laws because I really don't think they would be supportive and when I made the decision to have this surgery, I didn't want any added stress.

I know some people say "It's the easy way out" but I know what I've had to do and continue to do everyday to be successful in my weight loss. Yes, the band has helped with my weight loss, but I've changed my eating habits and started to exercise.