Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 3 weeks ago, and I think I've hit a plateau already!! Is this possible?? I lost 20.7 pounds, but for the past few days I've been up a pound, down a pound, up a pound, down, and today UP again! The thing is I'm still on the soft food/puree phase and I'm probably only getting in less than 1000 calories/day. This is so frustrating! I knew that the weight loss would slow down, but I definitely didn't expect to see a weight GAIN after going through this surgery. I just don't understand the science behind a weight gain with such a low amount of calories plus 30-45 minutes of exercise. Definitely bummed today...:angry:

I hear you. I was banded Dec 21st and I'm experiencing the same thing. I've heard this is common for bassists although some never experience this

I hear you. I was banded Dec 21st and I'm experiencing the same thing. I've heard this is common for bandsters, although some never experience this

Me too, same thing. I've gained 2 pounds. Other posts have said that once we get our first fill we will have real "restriction" and then should start losing again....

Our scales are just bipolar. We really weigh 120 pounds. It is frustrating to me too. It's just fluctuating Water weight and the fact we have introduced real food instead of liquids. Once we get to whole food and continue exercising with our fill we will start losing steadily. My biggest problem is that word, what's it called........oh yea, patience. She's a b*tch!

The several weeks after surgery and before your first fill is about healing up from surgery, not about weight loss. You will naturally lose some weight from the liquid diet and all, but eventually that slows down. And once you go from liquids to soft foods, your body will respond by slowing down the weight loss even more. It may even stop. In my case, after I starting eating "real food" again, I gained six pounds. But I focused on keeping my Protein up, carbs down, drinking all that Water, and trying to exercise as best I can. (I'm on a "light duty" thing due to two hernia repairs done during my band surgery, so I'm restricted on how much activity I can do.) I'm walking as much as I can. Now, the scale has turned around, and I'm losing again. It's all about your body adjusting to what you're feeding it.

Try not to be impatient about losing. That WILL come in time, but your focus now should be on healing up, and learning how to eat with a band. Hang in there, folks. You're in this for the long haul.

Good luck!

Dave

Dave is right. I was losing dramatically on the liquid/mush phase, but now that I'm eating "solid" foods, I've hit a stalemate. I get my first fill January 27th, so from here until then it's just a matter of limiting what you eat, getting enough Water and Protein and exercising as much as you can until you are cleared for real exercise...

I also have gone through something similar...I was banded on Dec 2nd and since I went off of liquids (Dec 16th) I had only lost 3 lbs until yesterday (and nothing in the past 2 weeks). I was getting very frustrated because I have been making good food choices and my calorie count has been around 800-900 per day which I thought was good and I have been exercising.

The other day, my husband said to me that with the exercise I am doing (which I wasn't doing pre-band) my body might be needing more calories that I have been taking in. At this point I was willing to try anything so Friday I increased my calories to slightly over 1000 and I lost 1.5 lbs. Yesterday I did the same and lost another pound. I'm going to keep this up and see how this goes but maybe he was right...

My suggestion to you would be to use this time to work on making good food choices (I found that tracking what I eat daily helps tremendously) and don't stress too much about the scale. Your body is still healing and it will take some time to figure out how to work the band in the best way for you. I have talked to people on this site who have to eat as few as 600 calories a day to lose and others who can eat as much as 1400 calores and lose. It takes a while to find where you need to be...

Yea, it's just healing, and you can't exercise vigorously yet. I've been lose about 1-2 pounds a week since surgery.

What Vicky said, if you don't eat enough you won't lose either, your body need something to burn.

Don't let the stalls stop you. You will have them over and over throughout your weight loss journey. I gained a few pounds when I was able to eat mushies, its pretty common. But if your only eating 1000 calories and working out that def isnt enough to even fuel your body and its holding on to whatever fat it has. It will get better once you get to solids, just focus on healing right now.

My god I think you're right! Damn, I've been telling my husband all along that I really weigh 125 and the scale is just off by 75 pounds. Why doesn't he ever listen to me??? LOL

Our scales are just bipolar. We really weigh 120 pounds. It is frustrating to me too. It's just fluctuating Water weight and the fact we have introduced real food instead of liquids. Once we get to whole food and continue exercising with our fill we will start losing steadily. My biggest problem is that word, what's it called........oh yea, patience. She's a b*tch!

Excellent response. Thanks Dave. I haven't been losing for years now, so I think I can wait a couple more months eh?

The several weeks after surgery and before your first fill is about healing up from surgery, not about weight loss. You will naturally lose some weight from the liquid diet and all, but eventually that slows down. And once you go from liquids to soft foods, your body will respond by slowing down the weight loss even more. It may even stop. In my case, after I starting eating "real food" again, I gained six pounds. But I focused on keeping my Protein up, carbs down, drinking all that Water, and trying to exercise as best I can. (I'm on a "light duty" thing due to two hernia repairs done during my band surgery, so I'm restricted on how much activity I can do.) I'm walking as much as I can. Now, the scale has turned around, and I'm losing again. It's all about your body adjusting to what you're feeding it.

Try not to be impatient about losing. That WILL come in time, but your focus now should be on healing up, and learning how to eat with a band. Hang in there, folks. You're in this for the long haul.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks everyone for the responses! I was just feeling down again today about my stall in weight loss...but after reading this I'm feeling better.... I'll try to increase my calories a little with healthy foods, keep up with the Water, and let myself heal. Possible fill on the 26th? Hope everyone is doing well! ;)