Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone drink last night for NYE?

I have been banded since Nov 9th, 2010 and pretty much started drinking red wine regularly (with exception, none last night) and have absolutely no problems continuing my weight loss faster than I expected. I also like scotch on the rocks or other liquors with no mixer at all. It's really a personal choice, the band should not control your life--if you want to party one night here and there I say go for it! It's not like you are going to be eating a large pizza or something ;)

Best long term for the band is live your life and enjoy it, if it becomes something that you associate with taking enjoyment away it may not work. Be consistent, Eat well but small, and do your damn exercise!

FBS

That right:)

Thanks for the responses... If some of you would have read the initial post.. I was asking wine drinkers if their pallette had changed once the received the band... and now it has turned to this. I am not running away like a two year old.. I just am not going to tolerate unwanted "abuse" from a stranger which I think being called stupid is... There are some folks on here who make sense and I will presumably just contact them individually. I think I'll go have a nice glass of wine now :rolleyes: Cheers!

Thanks for the responses... If some of you would have read the initial post.. I was asking wine drinkers if their pallette had changed once the received the band... and now it has turned to this. I am not running away like a two year old.. I just am not going to tolerate unwanted "abuse" from a stranger which I think being called stupid is... There are some folks on here who make sense and I will presumably just contact them individually. I think I'll go have a nice glass of wine now :rolleyes: Cheers!

Lol ok :D :D

I didnt even attempt alcohol til six months post op. You guys are too new to be varying from your diet already and Im not saying that to be mean but if your already trying things you shouldnt be then you are setting yourself up for failure. Stay strong and stick to the script you will be much happier in the end.

Ditto!

TX I have noticed that wine now just tastes rancid to me. I'm ok with that as I love wine...but now my taste buds don't ;). BTW the lapband book I received from my surgeon spoke about how wine, red wine, is good in moderation and supports a drink or two. This book is published by the original lapband expert in Melbourne Australia

Keep up the good work TX

Overall just be careful, and don't go overboard. I'm sure 1 glass of anything OCCASIONALLY is fine.

I talked to my doctor about when I could start having a few drinks and he gave me the ok at the 1 month post-op mark. I think people need to listen to what their doctors say not what everyone on here says. Everyone's body is different and the doctor knows you best. The people on here just know what you say

I was looking for *Beerguts* original thread... but could not find it. I was banded 10 days ago and did have 2 glasses of red wine last night. I know, I know, wine is not on the post op diet list... but only 3 carbs and 100 cal/glass.. so do not think the end of the world. Anyway, wine tasted different, I guess my pallette wil change? Any other wine drinkers notice that?

Happy Happy New Year! I am sooo excited for 2011!

Don't know if you are still here to read another response, but to answer your question yes my taste buds seem to be different. And my nose! food is more intense in flavor, seems to have too much salt, and there are days when everything stinks -- smells like fish. My beloved coffee, now Decaf, tasted like poison for a while and occasionally still does.

I don't drink, so cant comment on that specifically. I do hope the nurse told you a smaller amount of alcohol will have a bigger effect now that you are banded. But it sounds like you did ok, anyway.

Typing here, just like emails, can be hard to put into words exactly what you mean to communicate--especially since no one can hear your tone, hesitation, or inflections.

And can be interpreted and misunderstood so easily and hard feelings created when none of that is intended. I think this thread went downhill fast and Im sorry about that. I think most people who post here, including those who try to voice their concerns for fellow banders decisions, are trying their best to be supportive. And are actually very supportive and compassionate people when someone else reaches out.

My advice for all banders is to give yourself the very best foundation for success possible right from your first consultation with the doctor. Ive had trouble letting my favorite old habits encroach on my new lifestyle and regretted allowing that to happen--for me it only took one time to roll right back into the very thing Ive gone to such extreme lengths to change!

Im halfway to my goal, feeling really good about that, on a roll -- and just last week my doctor told me we have a long way to go. Im not letting that comment discourage me; he knows it gets tough after the honeymoon. I can only hope Im tougher :)

So I hope you are able to get the support you want for the long haul and hang in there no matter what!

~hiddn

Look, I will be totally honost with you all!

I am almost 50 and have been having a cocktail hour (or two) since I was 14!

I still have my cocktail hour, but I allot for the calories...I know my downfalls, candy is not one of them, neither is cake! But, I bust my ass exercising every day 30-50 min., and I journal everything that goes into my body.

If I want to slowly kill my liver, I want to do it thin! Hahahahahaha!

you did nothing wrong, please don't let these people discourage you from things you enjoy....maybe nexr time have a vodka and snapple peach tea (0-calories and 100 calories per ounce of booze).

Remember that you must live life and not allow things you like once in a while....like the guru of this site(Indiogirl) told me..."now you are doing what thin people do"

Go out and party, next day, tuna protien and lettuce....anyway it's really all about calories in versus calories out! Google it, that is the bottom line....

P.S. Don't forget to take your vitamins!

I was looking for *Beerguts* original thread... but could not find it. I was banded 10 days ago and did have 2 glasses of red wine last night. I know, I know, wine is not on the post op diet list... but only 3 carbs and 100 cal/glass.. so do not think the end of the world. Anyway, wine tasted different, I guess my pallette wil change? Any other wine drinkers notice that?

After reading some of the posts, i just wanted a little background info out there first and i'm happy to say that after both holidays, i am down 2 lbs since Christmas Eve even with a few extra munchies for the holidays and a few drinks New Year's Eve. I watched my diet very carefully all week & made sure i exercised every day leading up to New Year's Eve as we host a steak & seafood dinner at our house. I was banded 10/25/10, and had lost almost 40 lbs by my 2nd fill (which was 3 days before New Year's). It's all been diet control & exercise up until this 2nd fill, which i think i now have an understanding for having restriction although not quite there yet, but that's another story...LOL Everyone's personal goals will be different and what works for some, will not work for others. It's up to us individually to decide what the little rewards will be here & there. New Year's Eve was mine! Being a fairly new member to this forum, i was a bit taken back by some of the responses. HOWEVER, i've also been here reading long enough to know that there are so many great people that truly want to help others, that you just keep reading because you will find many that will just answer your question like asked and/or GENTLY remind you to be sure you are making the right choices for yourself without pushing their own personal opinions on you.

Anyways, the question was taste on wine since having the lapand and here's my take. We had mix drinks, wine, even Jello shots that night. I already know that more than a sip or two of beer taste different from a night out with my hubby & needing something to just wash down a bite of chicken i had taken. So I had small glasses of ....a peach martini, my homemade white chocolate wine and 2 rum Jello shots (did i mention sugar free jello?LOL) . The jello shots, no difference. Peach Martini, no difference & my wine....a bit of a change but neither a good or bad change...just different. I'm making Peach Ice wine next, and then chocolate Raspberry...I'll be really upset if that one tastes different cause that is YUMMIE! And with luck they will be done for Easter for my next mini goal celebration!

Best of luck on your journey.

I am almost 2 years out, I did not drink the first year because I was afraid of my tolerance level and of course calories. When I did start to drink a little I would have a glass of wine or two maybe once a month (I really like concord wines). Now a days I can't have wine it gives me heartburn so bad that I want to cry. I do sometimes have a little bit of flavored vodka mixed with alot of Water and a squeeze of lemon juice, but that is a rare thing. I lost my love to drink when I got my band, it hasn't been the same since my surgery. I just drink my Powerade when I go to party's or water when I go to bars with friends and I am okay with that, 113 pounds okay with that =) Good luck guys I wish you all pounds lost.

I was banded 11-4-10 and lost 20lbs. starting fron dec 20 my bro came to visit and ever since i been drinking till tuesday. i can still chug down 6 heineken but i get full after that. i gained 6lbs. now its time to hit d gym.

I have no input on the 2 glasses of wine...I say as long as you're within your 1200 calorie alotment, use it as you please.

However, last night, a drunk driver nearly totaled my car and did in fact total the car parked next to mine. Please be mindful and remind those around you to NEVER drink and drive!! Fortunately no person was hurt last night and the worse that I will suffer is being with out a car for some time.

Thats my PSA for the night, have a good night!

[/quot

hi!

I'm so sorry you had to deal with such crazy feedback. We are all on our own personal journey and our goal is all the same. One persons way may not be ours, but we all aren't the same are we ! I dislike judgers. As per your question....wine still tastes good to me! And Im still losing weight. Everything in moderation ! Please keep visiting here, there's so many positive people here that can help! Big hugs!

My palette changed on a whole raft of formerly favorite foods postOp.

I can't report on alcohol tastes as I had to jettison that decades ago due to diabetes.

Many articles of what I've read supports the occasional drink, and it seems some successful Bandsters have included such in their life styles.

Learning how to treat our own community members as we learn how to function in our New Lives is an added benefit LBT encourages.

It is a world full of differing opinions and standards of behavior. Learning how to disagree without being disagreeable is a beneficial goal for all of us.