Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this site and I am finding it very helpful. I've learned quite a bit. I am considering having the Lap Band done. I need to lose over 100 pounds. I have diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroid and high blood pressure. I'm only 33 years old. I'm married and have 3 children, all under the age of 5. I need to be healthy for my family and that is why I am considering this life change. My question to all of you that have had the Lap Band surgery is, were you ever nauseaous and if so, how bad? As silly as it may sound, my biggest fear of having the surgery is throwing up. I HATE to throw up. I can tolerate the pain and all, just not a big fan of being sick to my stomach. I know everyone is different but I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

My name is Rueben from San Antonio. I just had the surgery done Thursday 12/30/10 and was released 12/31/10 in the evening time. Personally I was looking foward to this for one whole year. I guess I got a Xmas present and new years present all in one. To answer your question, I have not felt the feeling of nausea yet, but I have felt alot of pain. In recovery, they gave me three different pain killers, then when I went to room I could not sleep from all the pain. I was up all night on the 30th to I got released. Make sure you drink plenty of Water, and follow the rules. Today I ate a sugar free Jello and it took 4hrs to eat it, I kept getting full and the hiccups let you know it's time to call it quits. I'm so excited about this life changing decision and I wish you the best. If you have anymore questions or if your nervous, please reach out to me! Happy New Year! Rueb in SA!

I was nauseous a couple of times during my hospital stay. As soon as I felt it I called the nurse/Dr whoever was around and they gave me anti nauseous drugs immediately. I didn't throw up at all and still haven't. I was banded on the 6th Dec and feel great.

I also have hypothyroidism and hope my medication will be drastically reduced from losing weight. I'm also doing this for my family and for ME! (I have 2 little ones).

Good luck with your decision.

I didn't have any nausea and when they asked in the recovery room if I needed pain meds, I said no. They gave me a prescription to take home, but I never filled it. The type of discomfort I had for a few days was easily taken care of by liquid tylenol.

I was nauseous immediately after surgery. Two shots of anti nausea meds later - gone! Not been nauseous since.

Tell your anesthesiologist that you vomit after general surgery (even if you don't know if you do or not). They will give you meds to keep you from vomiting. Also--I found that morphine makes me a little nauseous. if you find that any of your pain meds are giving you tummy flutters, let them know and they'll switch pain meds (I've found toradol and oxycodone are great).

And WHATEVER you do, do NOT eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight the night before your surgery. If you do so, you could nix your opportunity of being operated on that day. And if they do operate, your chances of being sick are greatly heightened.

As to pain, I just had my surgery on 12/30 and while dopey, I'm not in much pain at all. What helps is that I started walking as soon as they'd let me and I walked often. The benefits to that is that I lessened my chances of getting pneumonia and blood clots, and upped my circulation so that I healed faster. Additionally, the exertion (minor though it was), helped me get tired so I'd sleep more. I also think my Viking genes help a lot in pain management. smile.gif

You'll be fine.

An hour or so after my surgery, I was given anti nausea meds in my IV. After that I felt fine-- a little sore and groggy from anesthesia. I went home the same day. I took Advil that evening, and I ended up taking a pain pill that night to help sleep. By the 2nd day, I only took one more pain pill, even though I had a prescription for them, I never took them again after that. I was fine with only advil.

Some soreness at the port site is to be expected, but I think I just kept remind myself of the excitement of losing weight! I thought the surgery was pretty easy, and had very little pain after.

It is normal for all bariatric surgeries to make you nauseated when you wake up. Just tell the anesthesiaologist he will make sure you get something. I work in surgery and I have yet to see someone having any bariatric surgery not wake up with nausea but it will past. I was banded a year ago and I had dry heaves for three days and had to stay in the hospital but nausea vs leaving this world early I would rather be nauseated for real.

I was banded on 12/22 and similar to other folks I was nauseous directly after surgery, my fault however for sipping the Water to fast. After that no nausea at all. I have, however, the first time I tried to eat tuna yesterday, not chewed up enough/ate too fast and had to spit it back up. It's not a nauseous feeling at all, just a tightness in your chest, I just kind of coughed and up it came. I was worried abt that awful sick to stomach feeling as well but from what I have read and personal experience, the band does not cause nausea at all, but may cause you to "spit" up in lieu of vomitting. Make sense? Good luck to you!

I had a similar fear before surgery. Everyone is different but on a previous surgery several years ago I woke up vomiting and did not want a repeat perofrmance. I told the anesthesiologist that I had vomitted coming out of surgery on a previous occasion so they gave me a patch to put behind my ear just prior to surgery. I never felt any nausea post surgery or in the couple months since surgery. Good luck in this new year!

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this site and I am finding it very helpful. I've learned quite a bit. I am considering having the Lap Band done. I need to lose over 100 pounds. I have diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroid and high blood pressure. I'm only 33 years old. I'm married and have 3 children, all under the age of 5. I need to be healthy for my family and that is why I am considering this life change. My question to all of you that have had the Lap Band surgery is, were you ever nauseaous and if so, how bad? As silly as it may sound, my biggest fear of having the surgery is throwing up. I HATE to throw up. I can tolerate the pain and all, just not a big fan of being sick to my stomach. I know everyone is different but I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jennifer

Over the course of a little over a year of being banded I have experienced nausea and vomiting when the band is too tight. It isn't vomiting as you know it. The discomfort is in the chest. After a bit of coughing the offending food spits up. There is no heaving or anything. Afterwards I feel fine. I don't think it's anything to be to worried about. If it happens, don't hesitate to go in for an unfill. Good luck!

It's not a silly concern. I was also concerned about vomiting due to the anesthesia. They gave me some meds to take home but I'm generally not a med taker. So in preparation I brought a thermos full of ginger tea to sip on after the surgery and it worked just fine. I never did have nausea and the fluids helped keep me hydrated.

Ginger is a fantastic for relief of nausea but for others who aren't heavily into herbal medicine like me, I'd suggest you take the medication. I've used ginger many times in the past and I know I react quite well to it and how much I need.

If you are going to use natural methods of pain reduction or anti-nausea I would suggest you know how your body reacts prior to using it for something like surgery. I have friends who are knocked out after a single cup of chamomile tea and yet it doesn't do a thing for me. My personal trainer was a former pro football player (big guy still) and one capsule of Kava Kava puts him right to sleep, yet it takes me 3. So know your body if you are going to use natural remedies but don't let the fear of nausea keep you from getting the surgery. After all, they know this might happen and prepare with the medications at hand. You'll do great. :)

Best of luck.

When I was admitted to the hospital and they were getting my IV in and everything they put a scopalamne patch behind my ear. Anti nausea patch, also they had me take an antacid, not sure what kind it was but it tasted horrible. I did not get nauseas at all after surgery. I left the patch on for like 3 days I think. Though I found out that it messes with your eyesight. I am with you, I hate to throw up, and I have not yet, I am only 12 days out though. Hopefully I will try to remember always to chew chew chew my food, because I think I will be totally miserable if I ever get stuck.

I only took the pain meds for 3 days post op, and I only took them the third day because I got TOM and I got wicked cramps. Though at work yesterday I got really bad heart burn, not sure why. I had a hiatal hernia fixed during my surgery so I thought I would not get heart burn anymore, will have to remember to ask my surgeon when I go back.

But as for pain post op, it was not bad, it was only bad the first day and basically when I woke up, but the nurse was right there when I woke up and gave me Fentanyl (I beleive it was) right away and I fell right back asleep.

I always vomit after surgery and I too made it a point to get the scopalamine patch behind my ear. As soon as I opened my eyes after surgery I asked for my phenergan to keep from getting nauseated. I asked my nurse how often I was allowed to have my antinausea meds and was sure to ask for them when they were allowed to be administered again, even when I didnt need them just to be sure I didnt get that horrid feeling.

As far as pain went, I did take the oxycodone my doc prescribed because I am a big baby and have a terribly low pain tolerance. The good news was that I only had to take a few as the pain was much more tolerable then I expected. My husband surprised me with a trip to TN the DAY I was released from the hospital. I got in all the walking my little heart desired and I think that it was the best thing that could have happened.

I will give you my opinion as to how this journey has been for me. If I had to do over again, I would take tons of nausea and lots of pain if I could have been guaranteed the results that I have had with this wonderful tool. Like you I have children that I wanted to be healthy for, a wonderful husband that I want a long partnership with and a life was good but I wanted it to be great . I have gotten all of these things and it hasnt even been a year yet. I have far to go still but it was all worth it and then some. My only regret was not being able to have this life changing surgery a long time ago, as I have been overweight since childhood.

Research, go to support groups to hear people stories, talk to your insurance and continue to find places where you can hear all different takes on WLS. It isnt for everyone but it was just the right thing for me. You will do what is right for you, good luck !!