Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share your fav Pre-Op Shake/Meal

So i am on day five of my 14 day pre-op diet. Mine consists of 2 shakes for 2 meals and 1 low carb meal (under 400 cals). I can also have a yogurt/fruit and another shake for Snacks. I have collected a small army of whey Protein samples and have been trying them out since i cant go back to normal food until 6 weeks after surgery. **yikes**

I would love to start a thread for everyone to share some of the brands of Protein Shakes or low calorie frozen meals in order to help out those on the diet or going on the diet. Please let me know the shake/powder/meal brand and flavor and why you loved it or why it made you gag. I have around 14 other sample packs to go so i will keep updating as long as everyone else does or some interest is shown.

Syntrax nectar Cappucino: absolutley loved it. Tasted like bottled starbucks frappucino. Mixed with skim milk easily with a spoon. Didnt sound like a flavor i wanted to mix with Water even though it states you can.

Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel: Hated it. Even drank half the glass to see if it would grow on me. No Protein after taste i just personally dont like peachy juice. This line of protein powders state they can be mixed with Water and with a spoon. They can but finding a flavor you like is key. They do taste like juice which is what they advertise. Will be trying lots more flavors in near future.

Body Fortress Super Advanced whey Protein (chocolate): Bought a big tub of this at Walmart. Mixed with milk. Ok taste. Has that wangy bitter protein aftertaste but is not as bad as others. Doctored this several times with either sugar and fat free pudding, instant coffee, or with davinci Syrup (<-def a product to check into). This powder needs mixed with a shaker. A spoon just makes clumps.

Atkins Advantage Mocha Latte Shake: Wouldn't drink this every day but it is very convenient if you are going somewhere you dont want to lug around powder or milk. Not as bad as the Body Fortress but no where as good as the Syntrax Nectar Cappucino.

Will be trying unjury unflavored tonight!! And the Luna chocolate and Peanut Butter Protein Bar. (sounds so yummy)

I am doing the Carnation Breakfast Protien shake. Mixed with Healthy Checked Fat Free Milk. I didnt like smell. Then I used my Bullet (Blender) and added ice. Now it is my favorite. Like a milk shake.

Lean Cusine has 170ish calorie meals. I space those out one for lunch and one for dinner to make my 300-400 calorie meal.

Im getting banded on the 11th.

Good luck...Keep in touch

Jessica: Thanks for sharing. I hear of a lot of people doing the Carnation shakes. They are very easy to find. I have been on the hunt for some Protein Water but havent been able to find any.

I tried the unjury Unflavored in chicken broth and in crystal light (actually ocean spray grape-cranberry...yummmm) and it actually didnt taste bad. I didn't put a whole scoop though. I only did about 1/4th a scoop but i think i could possibly try half a scoop next time.

I tried the following flavores in Syntrax nectar too: lemonade, crystal sky, strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. I mixed the lemonade and crystal sky with Water. The only one i could stand was the vanilla and I mixed it in milk and froze it and ate it like ice cream. The other flavors were not like juice. Unless you like milky, thick, funky tasting juice.

I also tried the Luna Protein Bars in Peanut Butter and cookie dough. I prefered the Peanut Butter. These are good substitutes for my "snack" shake. Because, really, who wants to eat another shake as a snake when you are already chugging two for Meal Replacements. I dont substitue these every day but if i get a craving for chocolate and its been a rough day of dreaming the keys on the computer where chocolates then i substitute. The reason i dont do this every day is because they are higher in carbs than my shakes.

Dont forget to share! I see lots of views but only one reply!!

Or if there is another post with this info please point me in the right direction!

I've tried them all! There is only ONE I really like and it is so easy to get (no powder or mixing, either). CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST "NO SUGAR ADDED". Available by the case on Amazon.com --- I think they taste really good and don't have that weird protein-shake-synthetic taste.

So i am on day five of my 14 day pre-op diet. Mine consists of 2 shakes for 2 meals and 1 low carb meal (under 400 cals). I can also have a yogurt/fruit and another shake for Snacks. I have collected a small army of whey Protein samples and have been trying them out since i cant go back to normal food until 6 weeks after surgery. **yikes**

I would love to start a thread for everyone to share some of the brands of Protein Shakes or low calorie frozen meals in order to help out those on the diet or going on the diet. Please let me know the shake/powder/meal brand and flavor and why you loved it or why it made you gag. I have around 14 other sample packs to go so i will keep updating as long as everyone else does or some interest is shown.

Syntrax nectar Cappucino: absolutley loved it. Tasted like bottled starbucks frappucino. Mixed with skim milk easily with a spoon. Didnt sound like a flavor i wanted to mix with Water even though it states you can.

Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel: Hated it. Even drank half the glass to see if it would grow on me. No Protein after taste i just personally dont like peachy juice. This line of protein powders state they can be mixed with Water and with a spoon. They can but finding a flavor you like is key. They do taste like juice which is what they advertise. Will be trying lots more flavors in near future.

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein (chocolate): Bought a big tub of this at Walmart. Mixed with milk. Ok taste. Has that wangy bitter protein aftertaste but is not as bad as others. Doctored this several times with either sugar and fat free pudding, instant coffee, or with davinci Syrup (<-def a product to check into). This powder needs mixed with a shaker. A spoon just makes clumps.

Atkins Advantage Mocha Latte Shake: Wouldn't drink this every day but it is very convenient if you are going somewhere you dont want to lug around powder or milk. Not as bad as the Body Fortress but no where as good as the Syntrax Nectar Cappucino.

Will be trying unjury unflavored tonight!! And the Luna chocolate and Peanut Butter Protein Bar. (sounds so yummy)

Jay Robb egg white Protein (they also make whey protein) shake mix in Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry are SO good. No sugar added, sweetened with Stevia. I mix a banana in with the Vanilla or Stawberry to make smoothies since I'm not a huge fruit fan. I have just straight vanilla I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg and I feel like I'm cheating with eggnog. My husband lost a bunch of weight last year and is really into fitness now, so he's tasted the gammet of Protein shakes and says this one by far is his favorite. I think they're really yummy and have 24 grams of protein per scoop serving. I'm surprisingly not very hungry. I'm doing 3 shakes a day with one low fat/ low carb meal and the 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies. You can get Jay Robb at Krogers.

As for a meal, it's steamed fish (talapia) with hot sauce (only a smidge) with steamed veggies and jasmine rice.

I also made a low fat/low sodium Soup from chicken breast, broccoli, carrots and red Beans that was a Tomato base with cajun spices. Really good stuff.

I'm on day 4. Good luck with your journey and weight loss. Keep us posted.

Here's the website for Jay Robb

http://www.jayrobb.com/

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein (chocolate): Bought a big tub of this at Walmart. Mixed with milk. Ok taste. Has that wangy bitter protein aftertaste but is not as bad as others. Doctored this several times with either sugar and fat free pudding, instant coffee, or with davinci Syrup (<-def a product to check into). This powder needs mixed with a shaker. A spoon just makes clumps.

Super helpful thread! Where did you get your samples? I think thats another excellent thing for us to share with each other!

I got samples from netrition.com and I will begin trying them out tomorrow. (The package arrived today!) So, I'll be back with reviews on those.

My current favorites are...

Atkins Advantage RTD shakes in strawberry Creme. Ive been a fan of these for a long time. I just really like the flavor and the convenience. I plan to try the chocolate ones as well because they were on sale at Walmart. These are best when they are ice cold and are almost like strawberry milk, but not as sweet.

Isopure. Just tried this today. Im drinking Grape flavor right now. Its good! The only thing is its an odd consistency. I mean, its a liquid you can see through, like a juice but it just has this weird thickness to it. its hard to describe. And also, it has an odd aftertaste. But it doesnt stay with you at all, so I can deal with that. plus its 40 grams of protein! Im going to try the berry flavor tomorrow.

Medifast. I didnt buy this stuff specifically for my pre-op diet, but they are coming in handy! I have tons of extra shakes if anyone would like me to send them some. My favorite thing to drink is the hot cocoa....its perfectly flavored and very filling. Plus its so cold right now in the north east, it REALLY hits the spot! I also have a few Soups. I'm a fan of the cream of chicken Soup. Just needs a little salt and Im good to go!

I havent yet come across anything I dont like, but I'll be sure to pop in and let you guys know. Im planning to try Jay Robb Protein Powder, the nectar shakes and whatever is in my sample basket (cuz i've forgotten!)

Hi,

Would you mind telling me how you collected free samples? I've only gotten one so far from the NUT. The sample was unjury vanilla and I liked it well enough. I suspect I should try a bunch of different ones for only one flavor will certainly get boring.

TIA

Will be trying Unjury unflavored tonight!! And the Luna chocolate and Peanut Butter Protein Bar. (sounds so yummy)

I am scheduled to be banded Jan. 28th and just recently joined this site.... all the info is great especially this thread. I have been stressing out about this liquid diet I have to start on the 14th. My doctor said I can only use the "pure whey Protein isolate" ..... its suppose to absorb better or something. Can you tell me if any of the products you have suggested say this on the ingredients? I love the Atkins Protein Shakes and really hope they are acceptable....

BlairE: All of the ones i have mentioned are whey Protein isolate since that was recommended by dietician as well. My tried and true, easy to grab, shakes are the atkins advantage because they are low in carbs and actually good (I only drink the mocha latte though).

JustPlainTired: I got my samples from Syntrax. I called their customer service and they sent thirteen samples for $13 and they didnt have me pay shipping. To me this was a good deal even though i have only liked one flavor so far (cappuccino). They arived super fast too; two days after i placed the order via UPS.

Maybe: I haven't heard of netrition.com and will def have to look them up. How much do their samples cost and def give us your review. I have wanted to try the Isopure drinks but they seem a little high in price. I have given up on finding a "juice" Protein Powder i can add to Water and just add unjury to my broth or ocean spray powder (grap cranberry is ta-yum). Are the medifast hot chocolates super good? I got the 25 calorie swiss miss and although it does the trick i am hoping i can find something out there that has more of that rich hot chocolatey taste since i try to curb hunger with Hot Drinks or broth.

Vinella: I keep hearing so much about Jay Robb i may have to try it out. I like the fact that they use stevia since the only artificial sweetner i use is truvia. The others give me such bad headaches and make me actually crave sweets. Do they make an unflavored and do you know anyone who has tried it?

Edited by GavynsMum

Atkins Advantage Cafe Caramel shake 15 grams of Protein 5 grams of carbs... Love this stuff got it from Wal-Mart $6.97

I just thought I would let you know that at netrition.com the sample pack is 17.99 plus ship for 14. I have yet to get that far....... (pre-op diet) hopefully soon

Jay Robb egg white Protein (they also make whey protein) shake mix in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry are SO good. No sugar added, sweetened with Stevia. I mix a banana in with the Vanilla or Stawberry to make smoothies since I'm not a huge fruit fan. I have just straight vanilla I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg and I feel like I'm cheating with eggnog. My husband lost a bunch of weight last year and is really into fitness now, so he's tasted the gammet of Protein shakes and says this one by far is his favorite. I think they're really yummy and have 24 grams of Protein per scoop serving. I'm surprisingly not very hungry. I'm doing 3 shakes a day with one low fat/ low carb meal and the 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies. You can get Jay Robb at Krogers.

As for a meal, it's steamed fish (talapia) with hot sauce (only a smidge) with steamed veggies and jasmine rice.

I also made a low fat/low sodium Soup from chicken breast, broccoli, carrots and red Beans that was a Tomato base with cajun spices. Really good stuff.

I'm on day 4. Good luck with your journey and weight loss. Keep us posted.

Here's the website for Jay Robb

http://www.jayrobb.com/

i have to second this emotion! i havent tried the jay robb whey protein yet, but if its anything like the egg white protein, i am SOLD! i bought this strawberry flavored egg white Protein powder a while back and hadnt used it yet. i am amazed at this flavor! its delicious! i did it simple: 1% milk and a scoop of powder. fantastic without even having to doctor it up!

Maybe: I haven't heard of netrition.com and will def have to look them up. How much do their samples cost and def give us your review. I have wanted to try the Isopure drinks but they seem a little high in price. I have given up on finding a "juice" protein powder i can add to Water and just add powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to my broth or ocean spray powder (grap cranberry is ta-yum). Are the medifast hot chocolates super good? I got the 25 calorie swiss miss and although it does the trick i am hoping i can find something out there that has more of that rich hot chocolatey taste since i try to curb hunger with Hot Drinks or broth.

i tried the Isopure in Alpine Punch yesterday....its actually much better than the grape! and again, the colder it is, the better it tastes. you can have it "on the rocks" too. they are a bit pricey...i wouldnt base an entire liquid diet around them...but they are good for when you get sick of that shake consistency and just want something lighter while still getting protein. and 40g of protein continues to amaze me! lol

at my surgeon's office they gave me a sample of Unjury plain...i havent used it yet, but i suppose i should try it out. as for medifast. that is an expensive habit! but the hot cocoas are truly delicious. i cannot tolerate the shakes right now. there is something in the smell of the powder and the aftertaste that makes me nauseous. however...the cocoa is great! at work, we have a coffee machine that dispenses hot Water for tea, so i dont even have to microwave like the directions suggest. i just put it in the cup, pour on the 8 oz of hot water and mix it up. it does take some pretty vigorous stirring to get it all mixed together. i havent attempted to use my shaker ball cup for that yet....but i dont mind stirring. and they are currently the only thing offered by medifast (besides the brownies) that i LOVE. other things i can tolerate and the rest i cannot tolerate. lol

the other thing i like to do, if im in need of some energy, is to add hot coffee to the cocoa powder mix. i dont do it often but it really does its job when i do! i know im going to have to stop doing that after the band because of the caffeine, but im not a coffee drinker regularly and have never had a caffeine addiction, so its no biggie.

Great topic! Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm getting banded Monday, 1/10 and I have been prescribed a five-day pre-surgery liquid diet. I bought the chocolate Muscle Milk Light at costco and have found it is pretty decent, actually. I also made the mistake of buying the Kirkland Brand weight-loss shakes before realizing they have too much sugar and not enough Protein. Whoops!

I also purchased a big tub of Isopure Low Carb in Vanilla (whew, pricey! But looks like it is perfect in terms of its ingredients) and it's just OK. I use cold Water and ice in a shaker and shake it up and strain it into a glass. Kind of like a nonalcoholic, Protein martini, hee. It's a little bit gritty, but maybe I'm just not shaking it long enough

I have the unjury chicken Soup flavor which should also arrive in the mail today. On the website there are some good suggestions for using it for both the liquid phase and the mushy phase.

I've lost 3.5 lbs since Wednesday so I guess they are doing their job.

I am doing the Carnation Breakfast Protien shake. Mixed with Healthy Checked Fat Free Milk. I didnt like smell. Then I used my Bullet (Blender) and added ice. Now it is my favorite. Like a milk shake.< /p>

Lean Cusine has 170ish calorie meals. I space those out one for lunch and one for dinner to make my 300-400 calorie meal.

Im getting banded on the 11th.

Good luck...Keep in touch

I am on day 6 of pre op diet. I was doing the same diet as you and I was satisfied. Then when I told my Surgeon about it - he told me not to eat that - to switch to the Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes and bars. 3 shakes and 2 bars daily. he said becase of having to defat and shrink the liver. I absolutely hate the Bariatric Advantage Protein Shakes and bars. They are HORIBLE!!!!

T-minus 10 days and counting!! I have the following:

Breakfast is Fage 0% yogurt with Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials No Sugar Added mixed in; and coffee with fat free 1/2 n 1/2 and 2 truvia packets. I have my 600 mg of Calcium with Vit D

I drink Water with Sunrise Classic Orange Crystal Light all day long.

lunch is a lean Cuisine- I especially like the chicken in Peanut Sauce...and the Salmon in Basil Sauce. I have my Multivitamins now.

Depending on the time of lunch, I will have a Muscle Milk Light (either chocolate or Vanilla) in am or pm. After the second time of having this I started to enjoy them. I like to pour it over crushed ice since I'm too lazy to pull out the blender.

dinner is another Lean Cuisine. I have my second 600 mg of Calcium with Vit D.

Some days I eat a sugar free Popsicle.

Now, with all of that said, on the first day of this diet, I had a HUGE headache in the afternoon and I thought that I would DIE after dinner. The second day, I had high energy in the morning, then I felt like DEATH was quickly approaching after dinner. This was such a shock to my body that I ended up going to bed early. Now, I have highs and lows throughout the day, have headaches on and off, but remain steadfast committed to this. I have not cheated nor been tempted. I'm focusing on this, my family and work. (In that order!!)

Also, I've lost 6lbs since starting this.